PDA

View Full Version : A One Game Argo Who Still had a Major Impact on Toronto

jerrym
12-17-2018, 01:33 AM
He only played one game for the Argos, but coming to the Argos had a major impact on John Henry Jackson and Toronto. He also played for the Toronto Rifles of the Continental Football League but saw limited action going 0/3 in 14 games as a backup QB (https://www.profootballarchives.com/1966cofltor.html)

John Henry Jackson came to Toronto to play football. ...

He stayed in Toronto for love. Argos teammate Dave Mann helped arrange a blind date with Anna Fitzsimmons, a friend of Mann’s girlfriend. That date led to marriage in 1962, and helped Jackson establish roots in Toronto. Over the following five decades Jackson, who died on Tuesday at age 80 of heart failure, became a justice of the peace, a father of two children and a trail-blazing restaurateur best known for helping establish Toronto’s first soul-food restaurant.
When famed jazz drummer Archie Alleyne and veteran restaurant owner Howard Matthews first approached Jackson with the idea of opening an eatery, they were thinking of a pizzeria. Instead, their brainstorming session spawned the Underground Railroad, which opened in 1969 on Bloor St. E, near Sherbourne St., and grew into an institution in Toronto’s Black community. Jackson co-owned the restaurant with Alleyene, Mann and Matthews, and saw it as his unique contribution to an increasingly multicultural city. “He missed home cooking,” said Cosby Jackson, Jackson’s son. “He wanted a letter from home, and to be able to have some collard greens, some black-eyed peas and ham hocks and okra and all that good stuff.” ...

His play attracted attention from historically Black colleges like Florida A&M, and from northern schools like Indiana, where Jackson eventually enrolled. The Hoosiers ran a single-wing offence, in which the quarterback took snaps but tailbacks did most of the passing. In 1959, Jackson lined up at tailback and completed 24 of 55 passes for 478 yards, leading his team in each category. His six passing touchdowns ranked second in the Big Ten. ...

Beyond those numbers, Jackson formed part of a cohort of African-American players slowly changing the racial makeup of football in the Big Ten, and other conferences outside the south. That season, Jackson faced future Argo Johnny Counts, who starred at the University of Illinois, and a Northwestern team featuring African-American standouts Ron Burton, Irv Cross and Elbert Kimbrough.
“That seemed to be a turning point,” Cosby Jackson said. “More and more Black kids getting a chance to play at predominantly big white schools. It’s pretty historical.”

Jackson’s Argos career was brief — he played one game in 1960, completing two of four pass attempts for eight yards.
But, by then, he was already in love with both Anna, whom he would marry in 1962, and Toronto. He landed a day job in ad sales at the old Toronto Telegram newspaper, became a Canadian citizen in 1965 and eventually became starting quarterback for the Toronto Rifles of the Continental Football League.

An October 1965 Continental League Game brought Jackson to Wheeling W. Va., where he completed the pre-game warm-up but, just before kickoff, was confronted by FBI agents, who arrested him for allegedly dodging the U.S. military draft. The owner of Wheeling’s team quickly paid Jackson’s $1,000 bail, and Jackson returned to the stadium in time to see the fourth quarter of a 13-3 Rifles victory.
High-profile supporters — including the Telegram, and lawyers from the Rifles and the Continental League — lined up to help him fight a court case they found disingenuous.
For his part, Jackson affirmed his right to freedom and dignity on either side of the border. “My home is Toronto now (but) I would like to be able to travel unrestricted throughout the States,” he told reporters in October 1965. “If there was a chance I would be convicted of something, I wouldn’t go. I don’t want to be treated like a dog.”By the spring of 1966, prosecutors had dropped the charges and, three years later, Jackson teamed up with

Mann, Alleyne and Matthews to open the Underground Railroad. The name references the network of people who helped slaves in the U.S. south escape to freedom in northern states and Canada. Cosby Jackson says the title was a natural, given the restaurant’s role as a beacon of African-American culture in Toronto, and the way fugitive slaves charted the path his family later followed. ...

The restaurant — which moved from Bloor St. E to King St. E in 1973 — quickly became a destination for locals, to whom African-American cuisine was a novelty, and to high-profile Black Americans passing through Toronto. It put Jackson in contact with celebrities like Bill Cosby, after whom he named his son, as well athletes of all races. African-American Blue Jays like Jesse Barfield and Willie Upshaw frequented the restaurant, as did Yankees’ second baseman Willie Randolph and all-star outfielder Dave Winfield. Even Boston Red Sox third baseman Wade Boggs would stop by on game days. ...

But, by then, steadily rising costs had been eroding the restaurant’s profits for years. The restaurant closed for good in 1990 and Jackson moved on to manage the Meteor restaurant on Blue Jays Way, and later ran Gretzky’s, which took over the site. ...

After leaving the restaurant business, Jackson spent nearly two decades as a justice of the peace, in Brampton and at Old City Hall.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2018/12/13/obituary-john-henry-jackson-quarterback-restaurateur-pioneer.html

doubleblue
12-17-2018, 10:55 AM
That a great story.

As I remember John Henry's debut with the Argos was actually in an preseason game against the Chicago Cardinals. Tobin Rote who had been newly signed in 1960 from the Detroit Lions was held out of the game with a minor injury (probably more afraid of being injured). I believe the Argos still had Nobby Wirkowski as Rote's back up at that time but he had his knee damaged when sacked by former Calgary Stampeder DE Ed Henke. That left rookie John Henry to take over. It was no contest, a rookie QB against a NFL defense. At least that's the way I remember it as a kid listening to good old CFRB's Wes McKnight and side line reporter Zeke O'Conner.

doubleblue
12-17-2018, 12:25 PM
That is a great story.

As I remember John Henry's debut with the Argos was actually in an preseason game against the Chicago Cardinals. Tobin Rote who had been newly signed in 1960 from the Detroit Lions was held out of the game with a minor injury (probably more afraid of being injured). I believe the Argos still had Nobby Wirkowski as Rote's back up at that time but he had his knee damaged when sacked by former Calgary Stampeder DE Ed Henke. That left rookie John Henry to take over. It was no contest, a rookie QB against a NFL defense. At least that's the way I remember it as a kid listening to good old CFRB's Wes McKnight and side line reporter Zeke O'Conner.

Correction. The Argos played the Pittsburg Steelers in 1960. The Chicago Cardinals in 1959.

doubleblue
12-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Correction. The Argos played the Pittsburg Steelers in 1960. The Chicago Cardinals in 1959.

I'll get this right yet. It was the 1961 game between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Argos that John Henry Jackson came on in relief of injured Nobby Wirkowski. John Henry scored the Argos only TD in a 36-7 drubbing of the Argos by the Cardinals. Coached by former Edmonton Coach Frank "Pop" Ivy.

I should have checked with Nick Volpe first. lol

argos1873
12-19-2018, 01:07 PM
I'll get this right yet. It was the 1961 game between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Argos that John Henry Jackson came on in relief of injured Nobby Wirkowski. John Henry scored the Argos only TD in a 36-7 drubbing of the Argos by the Cardinals. Coached by former Edmonton Coach Frank "Pop" Ivy.

I should have checked with Nick Volpe first. lol

If I'm not mistaken, that was Wirkowski's last ever game due to that injury. Also I think Sam Etchevvery played, although sparingly, for the Cardinals that game. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong about both accounts, I'm going strictly from memory (only from reading, not old enough to have witnessed this great stuff).

But great story. RIP Mr. Jackson.

OV Argo
12-19-2018, 04:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken, that was Wirkowski's last ever game due to that injury. Also I think Sam Etchevvery played, although sparingly, for the Cardinals that game. Don't shoot me if I'm wrong about both accounts, I'm going strictly from memory (only from reading, not old enough to have witnessed this great stuff).

But great story. RIP Mr. Jackson.

Etcheverry was with the Cardinals in 61 (his first of 2 NFL seasons) and was their starter in game one of the 61 NFL season.

Would have been real interesting if that 61 exhibition game had featured Etcheverry as the main starter for the Cardinals vs. Tobin Rote as the main Argos starter.

argos1873
12-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Etcheverry was with the Cardinals in 61 (his first of 2 NFL seasons) and was their starter in game one of the 61 NFL season.

Would have been real interesting if that 61 exhibition game had featured Etcheverry as the main starter for the Cardinals vs. Tobin Rote as the main Argos starter.

Pretty sure Etchevvery didn't start in that game but did play later.

doubleblue
04-05-2021, 01:39 PM
Pretty sure Etchevvery didn't start in that game but did play later.

I listened to that game but don't remember if Sam played that much. I do recall some talk of him having a sore arm or shoulder which carried over into the season. CBC back then showed a NFL game every Sunday afternoon and I remember seeing Sam play for the Cardinals. He wasn't the same player by that time as he was in his hey day with the Als. Couldn't throw deep like he used to. I remember there was some newspaper talk at the time of St. Louis signing a sore armed QB from the CFL. St. Louis Coach Pop Ivy would have remembered Sam with Montreal and Ivy was Coaching Edmonton. They played each other in about three Grey Cup's in the 50"s.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8