Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

Fan experience at Ivor Wynne

My first LDC at IWS in about 10 years -- I stopped going because I got tired of the abuse I (and all Argo fans) took. I decided to go this year since it was the last LDC in IWS, and because Lori and the Friends of the Argonauts got a nice deal on discount tix in Box H behind the Argo bench, with a promise of increased security.

I have to say, hats off to Lori and everyone else connected with this. I did not notice any extra security, but it wasn't needed in any event. Sure, there were some Argos Suck chants, but if anything the Argo fan section was louder than the rest of the stadium at many times during the game. It might have been uglier after the game if the Cats had won, but everyone I encountered was either respectful of others or keeping to themselves.

And to cap it all off with such an exciting game and finish -- wow! It was, in all seriousness, the most fun I have had at an Argo game since the 2004 GC.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I sat in Section 25 with about a dozen or so other Argo fans, and nothing untoward happened to us during the game. There may still be incidents, but it has generally gotten tamer since Bob Young took over as owner.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Some years it can be tame and other just insane. I think the sheer shock in the way Hamilton lost yet again shut many up. I could here Go D Go from the Argo section. Great Labour Day as both our teams won. Two great games.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Watching TSN's post-game interviews has been pretty entertaining. Marcus Ball's interview was interrupted by a Ticat fan with an airhorn and Ahmad Carroll's almost was too - before the cops visibly intervened. Fun!

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Watching TSN's post-game interviews has been pretty entertaining. Marcus Ball's interview was interrupted by a Ticat fan with an airhorn and Ahmad Carroll's almost was too - before the cops visibly intervened. Fun!
    The entrance for the visiting teams at Ivor Wynne is located underneath the east endzone, which I believe are the cheapest tickets in the stadium. That's where I figure you're more likely to run into trouble.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I hope the good vibes today continue on in the new stadium next year. Sometimes a brand new facility creates an entirely different atmosphere, although I sure Hamilton will continue to hate Toronto from now until eternity.
    Last edited by jerrym; 09-03-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm glad to hear that the experience turned out well. I've been to many, many games in Hamilton. Never had a bad experience. I always enjoyed going here as it has the best sightlines of the field of any stadium.

It is an experience worth doing. If you have never been to a game at Ivor Wynne it is worth the trip, regardless of football loyalties.

Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Like I said before this was my first LDC ever and I had more problems at a Lions game wearing a Dickenson jersey at IW then today. Worse thing that happened was that the lady in front of me waved those noise maker sticks in my face once which is nothing imo. Never even heard anything directed towards me, like Argos suck.

Probably the most annoying thing in my section was the guy next to me who couldn't shut up and was so negative towards Owens, Chris Jones and Ricky Ray. The people getting beer every 2 seconds was a real pain blocking the view.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Probably the most annoying thing in my section was the guy next to me who couldn't shut up and was so negative towards Owens, Chris Jones and Ricky Ray. The people getting beer every 2 seconds was a real pain blocking the view.
    I had this problem at the dome last Monday. I was getting so annoyed with people being negative towards Ray, I actually moved from my season ticket seats at the half to an emptier section. I can take a negative comment or 2, but a couple of people just wouldn't shut up, and they were spewing the same crap over and over again.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The band had a great experience this time - miles better than our last trip in 2010 which included some pushing and shoving and verbal threats and a vow not to return - but I'm glad we decided to go today. Many thanks to the Ticats for everything they did to make it better for visiting fans, we really felt the difference.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    The entrance for the visiting teams at Ivor Wynne is located underneath the east endzone, which I believe are the cheapest tickets in the stadium. That's where I figure you're more likely to run into trouble.

Bingo. i sat in section 14 row 3. the last few seats of the endzone where it ends. It was pretty quiet until the Ticats tied it up 30/30. i had 3 Argos fans in front of me who were scared to rep TO in their blue jays caps so the focus was on me. 1 Ticat fan gave me the finger and i replied with a double bird for him and his buddies. The Argos sucks chants from about 20 drunk goofs started and 1 guy was waving his flag on me and it kind of disinigrated from there after i grabbed the flag and through it. A few insults later( apparantly my nap sack is gay. I told him i bought it in Hamilton) and a few physical threats from a guy who took off within seconds of the field goal and we closed shop on another Labour day classic. After the game a few ticat fans shook my hand and another thanked me for keeping the rivalry alive. Hopefully Argos fans rep the boatmen proper next week (while keeping safe) because that "Argos Sucks" chant echoing throughout the skydome last fall was embarassing and a lowlight of the 2011 season. Good fun.

Oh and 1 more thing i just remembered. A few Ticat fans were harrassing the Syracuse pep band members as they were walking to centre field at half time. I told them that they gave up their last weekend of summer to entertain us so STFU. I tend to say whats on my mind. Glad to hear everyone was safe today.
    Last edited by LLB997; 09-04-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    On the Ti-Cat forum, callers were phoning in on the post game show (wish the Argos had one TSN) claiming that Burris & $$$$ Fanutz (good game again Andy) were telling Hamilton fans after the loss that if they did not like it then they should stay away.....there is trouble in Hamilton.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Arm of Law

Level
    My husband and I had a great time at the LDC this year. I was there at about 6:30am...tailgating with some great TiCats friends. We sat in Box H row 4. No problems at all. Sure there were some obnoxious fans...on both sides of team colours. But overall it was a great experience.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    On the Ti-Cat forum, callers were phoning in on the post game show (wish the Argos had one TSN) claiming that Burris & $$$$ Fanutz (good game again Andy) were telling Hamilton fans after the loss that if they did not like it then they should stay away.....there is trouble in Hamilton.
    I heard that as well. We'll have to see how it plays out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    How did they jam 31,000+ in that dump. I thought capacity was at 29,000. The fan atmosphere was mostly excellent, although I think it would be beneficial for the Ticats if thier idiot fans actually cheered for their team instead of cheering against the Argos.

The sightlines are great at Ivor Wynne, but as Argogabe mentioned earlier, there was a steady stream of people always getting in the way of play going up and down stairs. I really think they should adopt what hockey ushers do at games and prevent people from moving up and down stairs during an offensive series. I know I get on the Rogers Centre atmosphere but I could see why Hamilton needs a new stadium. The place is uncomfortable as heck with anything more than 22-24,000 people there, maybe even less than that are needed to have any comfort, especially with bleacher benches that are just awful and really not worthy of the prices fans are paying. I'm sure their new stadium will have chairs so in a capacity crowd, you won't have to squeeze your legs together to sit down. Armrests and back rests should also not be considered luxurys when watching a game live.

So yes, IvorWynne sightlines will be missed, but in a capacity crowd with full concourses, you're reminded of how overdue a replacement stadium is for the Ticats.

I have not really enjoyed the Labour Day game from the perspective of comfort the last couple of times I've gone, compared to going to IWS as a neutral fan when the place is less crowded, but there still was no place I'd rather have been than there on Labour Day. This tells me 2 things, I may be a glutton for punishment or that I need that 60 inch TV for my man cave.

Having watched a game at Molson Stadium and Ivor Wynne Stadium, the difference is night and day. The stadiums are similar in size but Molson stadium is so much more updated and modernized compared to the dump that I've realized IWS has become. Adios and thanks for the memories.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I knew someone must have had issues LLB997.
    Fun times I'm sure. I've only been nervous in that stadium once. Finn and I were in the can once as two Hamilton fans walked in and started chirping us. I looked over to see that these guys were friggin big. Finn starts yapping back and at that point I thought I was dead. haha. One guy was reasonable and I walked out of the can relieved in more than one way.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I knew someone must have had issues LLB997.
    Fun times I'm sure. I've only been nervous in that stadium once. Finn and I were in the can once as two Hamilton fans walked in and started chirping us. I looked over to see that these guys were friggin big. Finn starts yapping back and at that point I thought I was dead. haha. One guy was reasonable and I walked out of the can relieved in more than one way.
    Sat in the endzone once on Labour Day with an Argo T-shirt, and vowed to never sit in that section for an Argo-Ticat game again. The fans there are mental or stupid, with some being both. Beer is not as much drunken in that section as it is sprayed on other fans. The fans look diabolical in that section, more than in any stadium or arena that I've ever been too. I've heard stories stories about Philadelphia fans, particularly Eagles fans, but I think this crowd that sits in the end zone in Hamilton on Labour Day can compete with them in terms of being diabolical.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Sat in the endzone once on Labour Day with an Argo T-shirt, and vowed to never sit in that section for an Argo-Ticat game again. The fans there are mental or stupid, with some being both. Beer is not as much drunken in that section as it is sprayed on other fans. The fans look diabolical in that section, more than in any stadium or arena that I've ever been too. I've heard stories stories about Philadelphia fans, particularly Eagles fans, but I think this crowd that sits in the end zone in Hamilton on Labour Day can compete with them in terms of being diabolical.
    *cough*Raider fans*cough*

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    OK...

Ive heard enough, and have a completely opposite veiw from most of what has been said in this thread. Ive been to lots and lots of games an IWS, on Labour day, regular season, playoff games, and even a Grey Cup (which the Argo's won). 99% of the time ive worn my #7 Argo's Jersey.

1- I LIKE it when the ti-cat fans chat "Argos Suck"..its a huge part of the atmosphere, and intensifies the rivalry.
    2- Im a loud Argo fan who likes to drink beer, so whats wrong with Ti-cat fans who do the same??....NOTHING

If i was a ticat fan reading this thread, my perception of Argo fans would be that we are a bunch of thin skinned wimps..(which is completely UNTRUE)

Even the guy with the pic of him going "PEE" on the Argo logo is FUNNY..yet some on here get touchy about that..(Cossack is a GREAT GUY-for a ticat fan).

hey im old school...maybe a dinosaur...but im my world i still believe in the old saying.."sticks and stone may break my bones , but names will never hurt me"
    Last edited by argonaut11xx; 09-04-2012 at 11:58 AM.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    You have to expect to hear the BS. I've been involved way too many times over the years. I used to stand on my seat face backwards and do double fisted birds to all Cats fans. Oh I have all my songs I'd sing while decked out in all of our argoholic gear while yelling through my pylon. We have Teeth, We have Jobs, You can Suck our Argo Kn_obs. haha. Not sure if I'll get crap for that one by the mods. The list goes on. I'm sure I've offended more Ticat fans than they've offended me. I was so hammered I blew a whistle when we had the ball. Later on reply you can hear one of the annoucers say, there's an idiot who just blew a whistle. Oh yah real proud moments. That's why I won the unofficial fanclub asshole of the year award more than once. I miss those days. hahaha.