Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have never been so annoyed as a Raptors fan by other fans and the ever so bias media. The Raptors narrowly won the best of 7 while being outplayed, outscored and outcoached throughout the series. Their star players, Lowry and DeRozen were both horribly inconsistent yet it was supposed to be an easy series and the team is at least expected to make it to the 2nd round.

Whats getting to me is how the fans and media (especially on twitter) are acting like how impressive this win was and its as if the team won something substantial. Raptors are very lucky to win the series having almost blowing game 5 and almost gave up a 16 point lead last night. As a fan, I'm actually concerned that this team is not as good as your typical 2nd seed and will struggle again vs Miami. When you expose their flaws though, "fans" are quick to call you a hater.

To me if the team is expected to make a deep run into the playoffs then a excessive celebration after Round 1 isn't needed. At least the team knows this and according to Matthew Scianitti the team did not celebrate afterwards in the locker-room and are already preparing for Miami. I will never cheer against the Raptors but I sure won't be heartbroken to see them struggle against Miami because I am being realistic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It doesn't bother me the series went seven games. As we have learned in all sports, nothing is gauranteed. The East was a tight division, these are pro athletes and anyone can beat anyone. Charlotte pushed Miami to 7 and not many people thought that would happen. Paul George had a great playoff, it's hard to defend someone like that.

I agree, it's frustrating at times, because we know this team can be so much better. The media has been very critical of the team leading up to this game. As for the fans, the Raptors tend to have a younger following, so that might contribute to the bandwagoning knowledge of all sport, not just basketball. Everyone is riding a high after a win, so it's understandable. I watched the game in a packed theatre with 200 or so knowledgeable fans. There were no misconceptions of the team. We talked about how Derozan must step up, which he did. How Lowry hasn't been the same since his injury and how the team misses a three point threat like Lou Williams, even though they are supposedly stronger defensively.

I don't believe they were out coached. Unfair to blame a coach when almost no one can hit an open three and have terrible looking turnovers. Give Casey some credit for benching Scola for Patterson and playing an unproven rookie in Powell, who came up huge for them.

I don't let fans get me down, and especially stop me from enjoying the game. It's been exciting so far and there is no reason that they can't suddenly play to their potential and beat Miami. Of course, if they lose hard, not surprising either. Let's see what's in store and have fun with it!

Boatman
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post

Whats getting to me is how the fans and media (especially on twitter) are acting like how impressive this win was and its as if the team won something substantial.
    It's impressive insofar as it ends a long drought and gets a monkey off their back. Just as it was for the Jays to finally win a division and make the playoffs last year. I don't begrudge Raptors fans their enjoyment here. They waited a long time to let some emotion out like this. Of course if they were Argo fans, they would have been able to enjoy a team with more recent success.