Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Yunel Escobar

If anyone isn't aware, the Toronto Blue Jays' Yunel Escobar wore eye black during a game on Saturday with a homophobic statement written on it (in Spanish). He was subsequently suspended for three games by the team and apologized during an awkward press conference on Tuesday. I say that it was awkward in that Escobar did not speak English and had likely the worst interpreter I have ever seen. Anyway, was the suspension appropriate? I think that it was but I would also not be surprised if the Jays cut ties with this player following the season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't think it was implausible that the Blue Jays were going to cut ties with this player before this incident.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Three games is ridiculous. Should have been banned for the rest of the season, and he should be released by the team. There is a lot wrong with baseball's culture, but its widespread acceptance of casual homophobia is one of the big ones.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Three games is ridiculous. Should have been banned for the rest of the season, and he should be released by the team.
    I agree they should have suspended him for the remainder of the season.

There is a lot wrong with baseball's culture, but its widespread acceptance of casual homophobia is one of the big ones.
    Please show some examples outside of this incident.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Please show some examples outside of this incident.
    That's a fair question. I don't have anything to offer beyond comments from some of Escobar's teammates confirming that among Latinos, at least, the use of that particular term is common, and a couple of tweets and a blog post from former Major Leaguer and now author/broadcaster Dirk Hayhurst that he was not at all surprised about Escobar's use of the term because it is used commonly in MLB clubhouses. He maintains that its usage does not imply actual homophobia on the part of players; I maintain that even if they are actually tolerant, to casually use a term that is associated with anti-gay sentiment, for whatever reason, is wrong. I believe (without any hard evidence, admittedly) that casual (perhaps often unintentional) homophobia is, if not rampant, at least widespread in all of the major team sports.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    I believe (without any hard evidence, admittedly) that casual (perhaps often unintentional) homophobia is, if not rampant, at least widespread in all of the major team sports.
    I believe you are probably right. The point I was getting at which you have now pointed out is that it is probably not just baseball but all major team sports to some degree. Escobar's explanation was embarrassing and for some reason this incident got me thinking about the kiss cam at Argo games. It seems to me that it is seen as a negative thing by many of the players from the visiting team when they are shown on it. Also why are they willing to show two women kiss in the stands but never two men? Anyway it is an interesting topic and it makes you wonder how major or minor this problem is in major team sports locker rooms. MLS W.O.R.K.S. just started this "Don't Cross the Line" campaign last Friday.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The guy is a total fool and it makes the Jays look great and they did a great job of playing dumb. You have a guy writing basically rasist type comments on his eye black and no one asks what that means. He could have been doing this all year while offending not only gays but Toronto and Canada. Toronto is one of the largest gay cities in the world and a major organization like the Jays has this nummy on it's roster. CUT HIM NOW! This isn't 1960 or 1970 when no one knew better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    It seems to me that it is seen as a negative thing by many of the players from the visiting team when they are shown on it. Also why are they willing to show two women kiss in the stands but never two men?
    Great point. If Argos mgmt is paying attention to the firestorm around Escobar, maybe they will realize that zooming in on two members of the opposition during the Kiss Cam segment is a stupid idea that should be consigned to history.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    That does sound very dumb to me. I can't believe they think that's funny.