Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Winnipeg news re: re-signing QBs

taken from drive4dough on OB.com:

According to CJOB....

Buck is back in town and contract talks are proceeding. He expects to be compensated as a top of the league QB. He realizes that there are a number of contracts to be negotiated, so he is being patient (Are you listening JJ?)

Joey Elliot is expected to sign. Goltz and Summers are under contract. The biggest challenge will be signing Brink

it's the last sentence that caught my eye. i've been waiting to see what the situation would be with Winterpeg's 2 well thought of backups since all 3 of their pivots are finished their contracts and poised to enter free agency...

if Buck is able to get actual #1 QB money out of the Blue and Yellow... perhaps Brink would be happier to move somewhere and be a clear #2 rather than taking #3 money and potentially languishing further down the depth chart? you'd have to think that the opportunity to play under Milanovich's tutelage would be a considerable incentive too since the Bunglers don't even have an OC yet...

how about it? make Alex Brink an offer to be Ray's understudy?

Last edited by bluto; 01-10-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Level
    I'd be more than happy to have either Elliot or Brink in as the #2. Would prefer Brink but either would be a good back up. Question is, would Brink want to come in and sit behind one of the top two QBs in the CFL? Ray likely has another 4 to 5 good years left and where does that leave the #2 QB?

In reality, Brink might be best served doing a one year deal and biding his time until Calvillo retires, then going to Montreal to compete with MacPherson to be the starter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Area 51 View Post
    I'd be more than happy to have either Elliot or Brink in as the #2. Would prefer Brink but either would be a good back up. Question is, would Brink want to come in and sit behind one of the top two QBs in the CFL? Ray likely has another 4 to 5 good years left and where does that leave the #2 QB?

In reality, Brink might be best served doing a one year deal and biding his time until Calvillo retires, then going to Montreal to compete with MacPherson to be the starter.
    can't see him going to Montreal to be a #3. makes no sense.

but for him to go to Toronto or Hamilton, play for either QB guru in those towns (Milanovich and Cortez) and be #2 would be a good fit.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I think that we would have a real chance to sign Brink and I have said previously that I would like to see the Argos get either Brink or Elliott. Brink really has no choice but to take a #2 job at this point as there is nothing better open for him.

BTW, Bluto, what's with those Winnipeg fans who think that Pierce is suddenly the best QB in the east? I almost felt like I entered some alternate universe the last time that I went to the Zone.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I think that we would have a real chance to sign Brink and I have said previously that I would like to see the Argos get either Brink or Elliott. Brink really has no choice but to take a #2 job at this point as there is nothing better open for him.

BTW, Bluto, what's with those Winnipeg fans who think that Pierce is suddenly the best QB in the east? I almost felt like I entered some alternate universe the last time that I went to the Zone.
    i don't know if any of them really buy that Buck is the best in the East (i think that's just typical CFLZone bluster where prairie fans back there own team and players no matter what level of ridiculousness they need to take that to)...

in fact, since all 3 of their QBs are possible free agents in a few weeks there's a healthy debate raging on OB.com about whether or not to let Buck walk if he demands too much money. in fairness, most believe the deal will be done because both sides recognize that Buck signing is best for Winnipeg (to give them a veteran starter) and best for Buck (since their may not be another team that could use a starter). there are actual posts where people are advocating giving him a 150k take-it-or-leave-it offer... but then, Winnipeggers are notorious cheapskates...

for me, i'm not a big Buck backer since i don't know that he'll ever have a complete season... but i won't slam him for his effectiveness (or lack thereof) since a 'Peg fan could always reference week 4 where the guy was pretty much perfect against us... so i keep my powder dry.

but i'd be very happy to see Milanovich get his hands on a project like Brink.
    Last edited by bluto; 01-10-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    CFLzone is always good for a chuckle! I think the Israel-Arab conflict will be resolved eons before Argo Dave resolves his issues with the Bomber fans.