View Poll Results: If you were GM, which re-sign would be your #1 priority now?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bell

0 0%
  • Buzbee

0 0%
  • Eiben

2 9.09%
  • Murphy

0 0%
  • Parker

7 31.82%
  • Picard

12 54.55%
  • Pile

1 4.55%
  • Robertson

0 0%
Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Free Agency Countdown

February 15 is looming... anyone getting nervous or excited?

...have to admit that i had thought a few more of our guys would have been re-upped by this point so that our player personnel department could get on with the business of tampering with prospective free agents and tapping up agents of same...

our list as it stands:
    Toronto Argonauts
    PLAYER POS HT WT COLLEGE STATUS
    BELL, Dalton QB 6.03 215 West Texas A&M Free Agent
    BLACK, Matt DB 5.09 189 Saginaw Valley State Re-signed 30/12/11
    BUZBEE, Alex DE 6.04 266 Georgetown Free Agent
    EIBEN, Kevin LB 6.01 216 Bucknell Free Agent
    ISHOLA, Ben DE 6.03 242 Indiana Free Agent
    JOHNSON, Jeff RB 5.10 218 York Re-signed 30/12/11
    MURPHY, Rob OL 6.06 318 Ohio State Free Agent
    PARKER, Byron CB 6.00 220 Tulane Free Agent
    PICARD, Dominic OL 6.02 301 Laval Free Agent
    PILE, Willie DB 6.03 210 Virginia Tech Free Agent
    POTTINGER, Jason LB 6.02 228 McMaster Free Agent
    ROBERTSON, Taylor OL 6.06 317 Central Florida Free Agent
    YOUNGER, Jordan CB 5.10 210 Connecticut Re-signed 05/01/12
    am i the only one who would sleep a bit sounder with (at least) some of our vital non-imports sewn up?

CFL Free Agent Tracker page here: http://www.cfl.ca/page/2012-free-agent-tracker

i
    t's the dull days of the CFL off-season lads... let's throw around some fantasy GM chatter.

edit: Poll added
    Last edited by bluto; 01-17-2012 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Poll added
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Angry

We need to sign Picard and not re-sign Murphy and Robertson. That saves up money for Ray's contract and it let's Joe Eppelle play. I would sign Buzbee and maybe Parker unless he is asking for too much and of course thay should re-sign Kevin Eiben.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I voted for Parker. I don't want to lose him. He's all class.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    I voted for D. Picard; from what I've seen, Dominic plays an important role on the O-Line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I voted for Picard as well. Only one of Murphy or Robertson will be back but there is a good chance that neither will be and I believe that the Argos would be fine without them (no disrespect intended to those players). Picard is the one free agent offensive lineman that I believe the team needs to sign as he is the most difficult to replace.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I voted for Picard as well. Only one of Murphy or Robertson will be back but there is a good chance that neither will be and I believe that the Argos would be fine without them (no disrespect intended to those players). Picard is the one free agent offensive lineman that I believe the team needs to sign as he is the most difficult to replace.
    I agree with you here Ravi. Some of us are willing to see what Eppele and Coughman could do in place of Robertson and Murphy, but I don't think there's a guy who would step into Picard's shoes so quickly. It does concern me that two out of the three starting linebackers (albeit they were injury riddled) are free agents in Eiben and Pottinger. I'd love for Eiben and Parker to stick around in Toronto and go for a Grey Cup. I know that Eiben was a big part of the 2004 team, but Parker joined the team in 2005 and hasn't got a ring yet. I want it to be with the Toronto Argonauts!a
    Last edited by Will; 01-17-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: adding some stuff

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Yes -- Picard, Parker, Robertson, Buzbee.

No -- Bell, Murphy.

What's the health status of Eiben and Pottinger?

Voted for Picard, just fyi.

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Level
    Picard is a no-brainer for me. I think he's clearly the best player on the list, and also entering his prime.

I think Pottinger really hurt his chances at a new contract by coming back to play on his torn knee last year instead of getting surgery and starting the rehab process. Put himself in a terrible position for negotiations.

Interesting to note his name wasn't even included on the survey list. Was that an intentional omission or an unintentional oversight?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd like to see all those guys (except Bell) re-signed; just don`t guarantee a bunch of vets roster spots or playing time just because; also will older guys who have had some injury problems (like Eiben & Murphy) be wanted with their big price tagsÉ - restructuring $$$ perhapsÉ

Picard is a good C and like to see him re-signed; but the Argos have a couple of experienced guys with C experience in Gagne-Marcoux and St-Pierre if Picard goes elsewhere.

Love to see Eiben and Parker re-signed too - a nucleus of solid vets to lead the D would be very good IMO - those 2 + J. Younger (back in the D-backfield) and Foley = experienced, quality D players and they can still play at a high level IMO; i understand some want to see youth or new (or cheaper) blood, but not just for the sake of change or a new coach wanting to clean house; Jones and the Stamps D the past few years seemed like a revolving door show of ex-NFLers - with little continuity and they were often weak IMO; i don`t care much for the great àthlete`or name resume types` some CFL coaches are high on handing playing time to; sorry, rather see solid football players and a D that plays smart & together

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I'd like to see all those guys (except Bell) re-signed; just don`t guarantee a bunch of vets roster spots or playing time just because; also will older guys who have had some injury problems (like Eiben & Murphy) be wanted with their big price tagsÉ - restructuring $$$ perhapsÉ
    Because of the cap as well as signing bonuses associated with that, signing vets mean you basically are guaranteeing them roster spots and playing time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I voted for Picard, but if we do lose him, Gagne-Marcoux could move to centre. Just don't want to see G-M playing tackle ever again . . .

Argofan
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Yes -- Picard, Parker, Robertson, Buzbee.

No -- Bell, Murphy.

What's the health status of Eiben and Pottinger?

Voted for Picard, just fyi.
    Jay Pottinger is healing very quickly.. way ahead of schedule. As opposed to Area 51's opinion, he didn't do any further damage playing with torn ACL. The surgeon says he is healing well and will be good to go by training camp. Its is too bad that he played and helped a defense that was badly struggling with no experienced middle line backer in his absence and he is getting no recognition for his commitment to helping the team win games in any way he can, as he isn't even listed on the free agent vote list!. Good luck to whatever team he heads to!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by potts46 View Post
    Jay Pottinger is healing very quickly.. way ahead of schedule. As opposed to Area 51's opinion, he didn't do any further damage playing with torn ACL. The surgeon says he is healing well and will be good to go by training camp. Its is too bad that he played and helped a defense that was badly struggling with no experienced middle line backer in his absence and he is getting no recognition for his commitment to helping the team win games in any way he can, as he isn't even listed on the free agent vote list!. Good luck to whatever team he heads to!
    Good point about Pottinger; he played grittily through the last couple of years, when the D was on the field for what seemed like 40 min. a game. For that very reason (respect, recognition and appreciation) I'm gonna vote for Willie Pile. Same deal.

Same deal with Eiben, Parker, Younger ... hell, what a Defence. Kept us in most games the last couple of years.
    Win or lose. Thank you, Gentlemen.

Argofan
    Achievements:

Level
    Midnight Blue,,great post! I noticed how Willie Pile flew around the field, trying to cover for the new guys who were lost trying to replace the play of Eiben and Pottinger. He was everywhere and sometimes looked worn out. He is another player that doesn't get enough appreciation for his play and dedication to the team.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    In 2011, we ranked last in the league in 19 of 25 team defensive statistics. The only area in which we did well was "passing TDs allowed" (24, tied for second place). Other than Foley, I don't think anyone's job is safe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    In 2011, we ranked last in the league in 19 of 25 team defensive statistics. The only area in which we did well was "passing TDs allowed" (24, tied for second place). Other than Foley, I don't think anyone's job is safe.
    Those stats are sobering. We shouldn't forget how teams moved the ball on the defence almost at will for most of last season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

Same deal with Eiben, Parker, Younger ... hell, what a Defence. Kept us in most games the last couple of years.
    Win or lose. Thank you, Gentlemen.
    What? I must be missing the sarcasm in your post, because last year's defence was a complete embarassment. The schemes were pathetic and the execution was even worse.

Don't let your judgement get clouded just because a couple of defensive players post here once in a while spouting off about how hard they're trying. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to see the players make a statement on the field instead of on a message board.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Area 51 View Post
    What? I must be missing the sarcasm in your post, because last year's defence was a complete embarassment. The schemes were pathetic and the execution was even worse.

Don't let your judgement get clouded just because a couple of defensive players post here once in a while spouting off about how hard they're trying. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to see the players make a statement on the field instead of on a message board.
    I wouldn't expect a team that was the worst in the league in Time of Possession to lead any defensive category. When we did have the ball we weren't getting first downs (last in the league), throwing the ball to the other team (last in interceptions against), with only 1 off the league lead in most fumbles lost. Yeah, so our defence is bagged when they get to the field.

Of course defence only matters if we are able to stop or lower the points against us. Or maybe we are spoiled by watching the good defences of 2005-2007? Hell even the 2010 season we were first in the league in average points allowed per game.

Argofan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    I wouldn't expect a team that was the worst in the league in Time of Possession to lead any defensive category. When we did have the ball we weren't getting first downs (last in the league), throwing the ball to the other team (last in interceptions against), with only 1 off the league lead in most fumbles lost. Yeah, so our defence is bagged when they get to the field.

Of course defence only matters if we are able to stop or lower the points against us. Or maybe we are spoiled by watching the good defences of 2005-2007? Hell even the 2010 season we were first in the league in average points allowed per game.
    Exactly, our defence was the first in the league in 2010 but last year we had key injuries in our linebackers in 2011 and a couple of defensive linemen suffered foot and ankle injuries which hindered their play. We also won the semi- final against Ticats with this defense with a not so great offence and not so great QB. It would be a mistake to shake up our defence in any way in the year we want to play in the Grey Cup. Taking a chance on younger or newer defences to save a few bucks makes no sense.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I would love see every FA on defence back next season but the reality is we can't afford to resign all of them. Someone has to go which is unfortunate but a part of the game. It is a business afterall.