Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Not to be a buzz killer and for what it is worth the odds have Us at 5.5 underdogs. That's alot and these "guys" are pretty good. I am taking Argos to win, but it will clearly be an upset.
    Last edited by ArgoRedneck; 11-14-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRedneck View Post
    Not to be a buzz killer and for what it is worth the odds have Us at 5.5 underdogs. That's alot and these "guys" are pretty good. I am taking Argos to win, but it will be clearly a upset.
    Your bang on Redneck....but alot of us are feeling upset...like in 2004, ...or in 1982 for that matter....

I am going with my gut on this one....the Argos have a GREAT chance....
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Your bang on Redneck....but alot of us are feeling upset...like in 2004, ...or in 1982 for that matter....

I am with ya. I have money on Argos and when I bet, I bet with my head not my heart. "I've got a Feeling".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Your bang on Redneck....but alot of us are feeling upset...like in 2004,
    04 was not that much of an upset.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    The Argos were 11-7-1 (including their playoff win over Hamilton) while Montreal was 14-4 IIRC heading into that '04 East Final. It was an upset but there have certainly been much bigger ones than that over the years including the 6-11 Ottawa Rough Riders beating the 11-4-1 Ticats in '81 and the 10-9 Saskatchewan Roughriders beating the 16-2 Esks in '89.

The Argos are presently 10-9 while the Als finished the regular season at 11-7 so there wasn't a huge difference between the teams this season. I still believe that if Ricky Ray had been able to play that last game against the Als, this East Final would be at SkyDome instead of Olympic Stadium.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

Just wondering, how was '82 an upset? They finished first and beat a 3rd place Ottawa team (that I believe was 5-11 or something like that) 44-7. The upset happened the week before when a Kevin Stakey QB'd team upset the Tiger-Cats in IWS.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Just wondering, how was '82 an upset? They finished first and beat a 3rd place Ottawa team (that I believe was 5-11 or something like that) 44-7. The upset happened the week before when a Kevin Stakey QB'd team upset the Tiger-Cats in IWS.
    I believe Skip Walker had a field day against Hamilton in the 82 ESF, running for something like 200 yards...I seem to recall his entire O-line getting some kind of Carling game award afterward on CBC...the next week in T.O. I believe db Jo Jo Heath set the tone early on big hit as Walker attempted to get outside.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Ah, the 1982 Eastern Final . . .

Riders get the ball first, move to midfield, stall, punt. Carinci runs it back 58 yards. Next play, Greer and Brazley one-on-one deep down the right sideline. Greer makes a great adjustment to reach back for the ball and dives into the end zone. The rout is on. Later Pearson gets a 60-plus-yard score up the middle in the fog. 29-0 at halftime. Riders get it to 30-7 in the fourth, Jo Jo Heath salts it away with a long INT return and we are going to the Grey Cup!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Argos were 11-7-1 (including their playoff win over Hamilton) while Montreal was 14-4 IIRC heading into that '04 East Final. It was an upset but there have certainly been much bigger ones than that over the years including the 6-11 Ottawa Rough Riders beating the 11-4-1 Ticats in '81 and the 10-9 Saskatchewan Roughriders beating the 16-2 Esks in '89.

The Argos are presently 10-9 while the Als finished the regular season at 11-7 so there wasn't a huge difference between the teams this season. I still believe that if Ricky Ray had been able to play that last game against the Als, this East Final would be at SkyDome instead of Olympic Stadium.
    Agree 100% - that three game homestand with the Montreal game being the largest of the three - kept us in 2nd place vs. getting this game at home. I still remember hearing Winnipeg had beat Montreal the week after and being excited only to watch Sheets run all over us right afterward. Ah well - with a veteran QB we'll see what happens down there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post

Riders get the ball first, move to midfield, stall, punt. Carinci runs it back 58 yards. Next play, Greer and Brazley one-on-one deep down the right sideline. Greer makes a great adjustment to reach back for the ball and dives into the end zone. The rout is on. Later Pearson gets a 60-plus-yard score up the middle in the fog. 29-0 at halftime. Riders get it to 30-7 in the fourth, Jo Jo Heath salts it away with a long INT return and we are going to the Grey Cup!

Maybe it was Zac Henderson that hit Walker early..I do recall the late JoJo Heath with that pic 6....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I believe Skip Walker had a field day against Hamilton in the 82 ESF, running for something like 200 yards...I seem to recall his entire O-line getting some kind of Carling game award afterward on CBC...the next week in T.O. I believe db Jo Jo Heath set the tone early on big hit as Walker attempted to get outside.
    Great memory! Yeah, Skip Walker set a single-game playoff rushing record IIRC that still stands. I won't lie - I was thrilled that Ottawa won that game as the Ticats had beaten the Argos twice that season and I knew that Ottawa would be an easier opponent. Having said that, I still think that the Argos would have beaten Hamilton if they had played them the following week.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    IIRC, Chris Isaac and Kevin Starkey were the QBs for Ottawa that season and Isaac somehow won rookie of the year in the league that year beating out Bob Bronk in the east and Mervyn Fernandez in the west. Another interesting note about Isaac is that he may have been the first ever CFL QB to go to the shotgun on every play. I remember George Brancato saying at the time that it was easier to read defences from the shotgun rather than from under centre so that is why he made that move.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post

The funny thing about that game is that I didn't feel comfortable that the Argos would win until about midway through the fourth quarter. As dominant as they were, I had the "too good to be true" feeling and was waiting for the other shoe to drop because of all of the heartbreak that I had witnessed over the previous few years. IMO, this was one of the most significant victories in Argo history.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Great memory! Yeah, Skip Walker set a single-game playoff rushing record IIRC that still stands. I won't lie - I was thrilled that Ottawa won that game as the Ticats had beaten the Argos twice that season and I knew that Ottawa would be an easier opponent. Having said that, I still think that the Argos would have beaten Hamilton if they had played them the following week.
    Great memory? Check out Paul Woods post. Kinda scary.

Speaking of Kevin Starkey....he is doing quite well these days...

Kevin Starkey was named Vice President of Operations for Anaheim Arena Management (AAM) on Oct. 24, 2007. He oversees all arena operations, including marketing and public relations.

Starkey’s career in public facilities and arena management has spanned more than 17 years. Along the way he has accumulated a long list of accomplishments. Most recently he was the point person for Honda Center’s highly successful $13 million renovation, which included a new 95-foot marquee located adjacent to the 57 Freeway, a completely remodeled club level restaurant (Jack Daniel’s Old No. 7), a second in-arena LED ring and a remodeled Anaheim Ducks Team Store.

Starkey, hired by the arena in 1993, has also been instrumental in all facets of the building’s day-to-day operational efforts, including all beautification, maintenance, changeover and capital improvements.

Prior to coming to Honda Center, Starkey worked at the Great Western Forum, then home to the National Basketball Association’s Los Angeles Lakers and the National Hockey League’s Los Angeles Kings.

A native of Torrance, California, Starkey graduated from California State University, Long Beach where he played quarterback for the school from 1979-80. In addition, he played three seasons in the Canadian Football League (CFL) with the Ottawa Rough Riders and the Montreal Concorde and was a member of the 1981 Ottawa club that fell to Warren Moon and the Edmonton Eskimos (26-23) in the CFL’s Grey Cup. He also played two seasons in the United States Football League with the Oakland Invaders and Portland Breakers.

Last edited by gilthethrill; 11-15-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The funny thing about that game is that I didn't feel comfortable that the Argos would win until about midway through the fourth quarter. As dominant as they were, I had the "too good to be true" feeling and was waiting for the other shoe to drop because of all of the heartbreak that I had witnessed over the previous few years. IMO, this was one of the most significant victories in Argo history.
    You and me both. At 30-7 I was sill holding my breath. But when Jo Jo raced down the right sideline to the end zone to make it 37-7, I finally relaxed.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    it was pretty big in my book. the only playoff game AC was ever knocked out of. Argo karma had to be very strong that night. If the argos win sunday it will likely be by a closer margin. Hebert with a sore ankle may or may not be 100% sunday.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    In 82 I sat in the Scotia Bank cheap seats as my first seasons tickets. I was tanked at CNE and ran on the field and ran up to Carl Brazley and slapped him on his shoulder pad and said thanks because if it's wasn't for you we wouldn't have won. He gave me this pissed off puzzled look. Next year he won a Grey Cup with us. Yah I have plenty of crazy drunk CFL stories. 82 was my first Grey Cup. WOW noe I'm up to 27 or something.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    That was actually a pretty crafty tweet by Huntley towards the als fans. He'll have them booing and making loud noise while the als' offence is on the field.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 294life View Post
    it was pretty big in my book. the only playoff game AC was ever knocked out of. Argo karma had to be very strong that night. If the argos win sunday it will likely be by a closer margin. Hebert with a sore ankle may or may not be 100% sunday.
    For us as per twitter: Pat Watkins doubtful - Jalil Carter taking his spot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    George Brancato saying at the time that it was easier to read defences from the shotgun rather than from under centre so that is why he made that move.
    That's one of the reason's George Brancato was a lousy coach. Shotgun gives a QB a little more time, but it doesn''t make it easier for a QB to read a defence. He has to take his eyes off the defence to catch the snap.
    It's us vs the rest of the country