Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level

My thoughts are with the folks who lost children in the lastest US tragedy.

Also to the powers that be to the south of us. Get your CRAP together as your country has worse problems than it's economy. I for one am not sure I want to spend my money travelling to such a messed up place.

As a matter of fact I've had only one very uneasy sketchy incident in my 50 years and it was in Niagara Falls NY years ago coming home from a bar. My buddy got lost and because we were in a nice Trans Am a cop pulled us over and he came to the car with gun drawn. He realized that we were lost Canadians and gave us directions to get the hell out of dodge.

If this incident does nothing to show law makers how screwed the right to bare arms bs is than I have no clue what it will take.

For now I'll continue to travel in a safe country that I'm glad to be from and live in.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    I'm actually travelling to connecticut in 4 weeks. My thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    makes me physically sick thinking about it

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Also to the powers that be to the south of us. Get your CRAP together as your country has worse problems than it's economy. I for one am not sure I want to spend my money travelling to such a messed up place.

As a matter of fact I've had only one very uneasy sketchy incident in my 50 years and it was in Niagara Falls NY years ago coming home from a bar. My buddy got lost and because we were in a nice Trans Am a cop pulled us over and he came to the car with gun drawn. He realized that we were lost Canadians and gave us directions to get the hell out of dodge.

If this incident does nothing to show law makers how screwed the right to bare arms bs is than I have no clue what it will take.

For now I'll continue to travel in a safe country that I'm glad to be from and live in.
    Riiiight , where we dismember and behead people. Our shooting sprees may not be as massive but we still have 'em

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I'll take my chances in Canada where I've never had an issue and don't fear our streets. We aren't a gun nation. There are over 300 million guns owned in the states. I heard that today and that's flat out screwed. Yes there are issues everywhere but everything is always bigger in the US. Slaughtering 5 year olds? When do they wake the hell up. Might be way too late for that country. As my wife said tonight that they's have an internal war if they tried to pass serious gun regulations. I don't like the fact that my wife will be travelling to California next month. She's traveled to the states quite a bit and really isn't to thrilled to anymore but her folks winter down there now. I haven't hit the states since the CFL had teams in Baltimore and Sacramento. My last two trips.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    70 million gun owners last I heard. Not one of them is going to flinch. The guy obviously had mental issues. Responsible gun owners aren't going to take the fall for the crazies.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Criminals and crazies prey on defenseless people, in places where they know citizens are generally not armed.

Crazies are afraid to try this in, say, Texas, where some of the law-abiding citizens just might fight back.

No doubt we'll hear more calls from Obama and the left for gun control and registries.

It has always amazed me that some segments of our society are simply unable to grasp,

the simple fact that, criminals and crazies do not register their firearms.

I'll spare you my underwhelming opinion of lefties, at this tragic time.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 12-17-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Criminals and crazies prey on defenseless people, in places where they know citizens are generally not armed.
    Crazies are afraid to try this in, say, Texas, where some of the law-abiding citizens just might fight back.
    From a list of mass shootings in Texas -

1. Oct. 16, 1991: A deadly shooting rampage took place in Killeen, Texas, as George Hennard opened fire at a Luby’s Cafeteria, killing 23 people before taking his own life. 20 others were wounded in the attack.

2 .Aug. 1, 1966: Charles Whitman opened fire from the clock tower at the University of Texas at Austin, killing 16 people and wounding 31.

3. Nov. 5, 2009: Thirteen soldiers and civilians were killed and more than two dozen wounded when a gunman walked into the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas, and opened fire. Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

4. Sept. 15, 1999: Seven people were killed and seven others injured when a gunman opened fire inside a crowded chapel at Fort Worth’s Wedgewood Baptist Church. Some worshipers believed that Larry Gene Ashbrook was pulling a prank and continued singing after the shooting began. The murderer killed himself.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    a family member told police he had a form of autism. likely asperger's like myself.

guns and autism are a bad mix which is why i never keep any
    Last edited by 294life; 12-15-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    It's the fact that there are so many guns in the states. Last night someone on CNN said 300 million guns. I didn't just pull that number out of the air. Look at this killers mom, she owned those guns.
    I know for a fact that if we had guns in our house when I was a young teen I would have shot the place up. I was an only child and we dealt with my dads alcoholism for years before he quit. My mom used to deal with her frustration by losing it and yelling. It was hell at times. I can recall saying, if there was a gun in this house we'd all be dead. Thankfully everything ended up ok.

Just did a google search and the numbers of guns in the US is unreal. Some say 270 million. Another site said between the general public and law inforcement it's works out to one gun per US citizen. Holy ! They'll never clean up their act.
    It's this right to bare arms and how easy it is too load up with serious fire power down south.
    Last edited by Mulder; 12-16-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Removed Swearing

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It's a very extreme case but this kid had to have a TON of rage to pull something this heavy.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    It's more than rage. He needed help. Right to bare arms but no right to medical coverage. This guy needed someone to talk to years in advance to this. To slaughter 6 year olds? Unreal, but no threat to him. Very easy knowing he was going to off himself. Hopefully this was the final act like this to get some government action on gun controls.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Very sad.

What I've found interesting in the aftermath about this one is more people are talking about mental heath and how with universal health care this could have been prevented, than about gun control and banning weapons.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    It's more than rage. He needed help. Right to bare arms but no right to medical coverage. This guy needed someone to talk to years in advance to this. To slaughter 6 year olds? Unreal, but no threat to him. Very easy knowing he was going to off himself. Hopefully this was the final act like this to get some government action on gun controls.
    Very well said.

I know a Lions fan in Alabama where guns are the norm who is passionate about guns but would never pull something like this. Responsible gun owners get a bad rap because of crap like this.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    From a list of mass shootings in Texas -

1. Oct. 16, 1991: A deadly shooting rampage took place in Killeen, Texas, as George Hennard opened fire at a Luby’s Cafeteria, killing 23 people before taking his own life. 20 others were wounded in the attack.

2 .Aug. 1, 1966: Charles Whitman opened fire from the clock tower at the University of Texas at Austin, killing 16 people and wounding 31.

3. Nov. 5, 2009: Thirteen soldiers and civilians were killed and more than two dozen wounded when a gunman walked into the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas, and opened fire. Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

4. Sept. 15, 1999: Seven people were killed and seven others injured when a gunman opened fire inside a crowded chapel at Fort Worth’s Wedgewood Baptist Church. Some worshipers believed that Larry Gene Ashbrook was pulling a prank and continued singing after the shooting began. The murderer killed himself.

I'm aware that mass killings have taken place in Texas, and no doubt in other Southern States, but the point is that at least down there, a shooter/murderer has a chance of being taken down. In fact that is what happened to the former Army Psychiatrist, former Major, Nidal Hasan, who was wounded, if I recall correctly. As for the guy in the clocktower, only a bazooka would have taken him out. So that leaves the cafeteria shooting in 1991, and the church shooting in 1999. Well, even in Texas, not every citizen is armed. But compared to the rest of killings history, Texas seems relatively safe. I'm working this weekend (luckily a rarity) so I don't have much time for internet research, but I have read many times in fact, that killings and gun crimes have gone down, in States where law-abiding citizens have been granted the right to carry arms. It makes criminals think twice, knowing their victims may shoot back.

Now, having said all that, it is easy for anyone to walk into a store in the States, and buy a gun. It is in their Constitution. But I would argue, that even here in Toronto, any criminal/gang-banger can probably purchase a hand-gun on the street for $500, probably less. I'm sure that's the case in the States too, no matter how many gun laws, registries, "gun-free zones", the politicians can come up with. Papering-over the problem with registries, is just that --- papering over. It allows politicians to give the appearance, the impression, that they are doing something about the problem, when all they are doing is dis-arming the citizenry, much to the delight of the criminals.
    Also, I like the fact that one needs a license to purchase and own firearms in Canada (this has been the case for a long time), but again, criminals and other crazies don't take out licences, nor do they register their firearms.

We are lucky in Canada, that mass shootings don't take place as often, but then again, we have a smaller population than the States, so therefore a lesser percentage of crazies per general population.

And finally, I've read many times that situations in the States where a shooter pulls out a gun and maybe kills one or two, before being taken out by a law-abiding armed citizen, generally go unreported. Such scenarios do not generate headlines, nor do they fit in with the over-whelmingly left-wing media agenda, in the States and Canada.

Perhaps some retired members on this forum, might have time to dig into this research further, if they want to.

My condolences go out, to the families and friends, of those killed.

It's the fact that there are so many guns in the states. Last night someone on CNN said 300 million guns. I didn't just pull that number out of the air. Look at this killers mom, she owned those guns.
    I know for a fact that if we had guns in our house when I was a young teen I would have shot the place up. I was an only child and we dealt with my dads alcoholism for years before he quit. My mom used to deal with her frustration by losing it and yelling. It was hell at times. I can recall saying, if there was a gun in this house we'd all be dead. Thankfully everything ended up ok.

Just did a google search and the numbers of guns in the US is unreal. Some say 270 million. Another site said between the general public and law inforcement it's works out to one gun per US citizen. Holy ! They'll never clean up their act.
    It's this right to bare arms and how easy it is too load up with serious fire power down south.

Sorry about your childhood, but whether there are laws for it or not (there are, here in Canada), guns should always be locked up at home, or at least be kept out of the reach of children, and young youths.

Glad you made it through though, man.
    Last edited by argomANIA; 12-18-2012 at 08:51 AM. Reason: merge posts

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Michael Moore on Twitter: "If only the first victim, Adam Lanza's mother, had been a gun owner, she could have stopped this before it started."
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Michael Moore on Twitter: "If only the first victim, Adam Lanza's mother, had been a gun owner, she could have stopped this before it started."
    there are many ways this could have been avoided. unfortunately, as always, everyone in this story is deaf,dumb and blind to the truth.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Moore's comment is meant ironically, of course.
    Apparently Adam Lanza's mother actually supplied the guns.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Yah it was the mother who owned those guns. It basically come down to way too many guns in the US. Those guns bought on the streets of Canada by gangbangers come from the States. It only takes one mentally ill person per day, week or month in the States to cause these horrific incidents. When does something click that too many guns are given away way to easily.

I for one have just applied for my first passport ever. I have very little interest in heading tothe States. I watch plenty of US based police and jail based US reality shows. The First 48 happens to be my favorite based on real homicide detectives solving real murder cases. These shows make you think twice about that crazy country to the south. You's better mind your p's anf q's while traveling there because it only takes one nutter with a gun to cross your path. Seems like way too many guns under peoples shirts in the Good Old US or A.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Moore's comment is meant ironically, of course.
    Apparently Adam Lanza's mother actually supplied the guns.
    Same story as Kimveer Gill's (2006 dawson college shooter) mom accepting that he had all those guns in the house. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he didn't have asperger's too. When an autistic person starts getting too much into guns the results become predictable. best to stick to sports like me.

I don't have autism, I have argonautism. way healthier. aaaarrrrgoooooos.
    Last edited by 294life; 12-16-2012 at 07:19 PM.