Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Austin cuts Porter

http://www.cfl.ca/article/ticats-rel...er-extend-hage

CFL.ca Staff

HAMILTON – Veteran quarterback Quinton Porter is hitting the open market a month before he was set to become a free agent after being released by the Hamilton Tiger-Cats today. The 'Cats also announced that Marwan Hage has agreed to a new contract that will see the veteran offensive lineman remain in Hamilton through the 2015 season.

Porter, who dabbled as the club’s starter throughout his tenure, played five seasons with the Black and Gold. He completed 358 of 562 passes for 4,095 yards and 21 touchdowns with 18 interceptions. The 6-foot-5, 228-pound pivot also rushed 169 times for 919 yards and 15 touchdowns.

The Boston College grad was used sparingly last season while backing up Henry Burris, seeing action primarily in short yardage situations.
    is Austin planning a run at McPherson or Reilly? a kid he saw in US college ball? waiting on another guy getting cut?

Porter was their most seasoned backup... this will make it very interesting if Henry gets banged up.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Easy decision given that Burris has been pretty healthy the last few seasons. Could see McPherson coming in, but given that he'll be 30 as well, that may not happen.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I bet he has his eyes on a young NCAA qb.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    McPherson and Reilly are looking for starting jobs. They might as well remain backups where they are - especially in McPherson's case - than move on to be a backup elsewhere. I am guessing that Austin is willing to roll the dice on going with young backups. What might be the more interesting question is where does Porter land?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I am probably out on my own island here, but I'd like to see Porter signed by the Argos. IMO he has a lot of upside still, especially with Ricky Ray as a potential tutor, and I'm already on record as wanting an experienced backup to at least compete with the two kids. I think Porter is a better QB than Jarious, altho on the available evidence Jarious is probably a better teammate. (That's not a knock on Porter, altho he did gripe a bit when Glenn replaced him in Hamilton -- it is praise of Jackson, who is a superb team guy.)

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Definitely raises an eyebrow due to the fact Buris has zero expereince backing him up now. Too bad Porter had skills and intelligence but could never put it all together and exploit the moments he was given.
    Nice guy too, accepted his role and almost never complained and never blamed anyone for his failings, a model team mate.
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I bet he has his eyes on a young NCAA qb.
    i'd guess so too. partly because of what @Mulder says about Burris having been on a healthy run lately but mostly because the Tabbies have big money invested in players like Burris and Fantuz and spending more cash to give a journeyman like Porter a raise likely wasn't in the cards...

...especially since it's the defence that needs a talent infusion this offseason.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Ticats must see enough in last year's #3, Dan LeFevour, to make this move. I thought he showed some promise in the pre-season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    The Ticats must see enough in last year's #3, Dan LeFevour, to make this move. I thought he showed some promise in the pre-season.

Yeah - I liked what i saw of Lefevour in US college ball - seemed a CFL style QB with his mobility, plus a decent arm; and he get some NFL roster experience and now a year of CFL roster experience - could make a good #2 in Pussycat land.

Always liked the potential of Porter though - big QB, with a good arm and running ability - so he didn't grab the reins of a lousy Hamilton team, but still showed some good stuff when he got to play; easily IMO better than plenty of other young or back-up CFL QBs we have seen lately - eg. Brink & Elliott in the Peg, or MacPherson in Montreal, not to mention a total stiff like Jyles who got annointed starter a couple of times; the Esks, Bummers and Als should all be interested IMO; maybe the Argos too - but I think I like the potential of Harris and Collaros; BUT - if Jackson is considered not a fit as an Argo back-up anymore (have to wonder if he is getting pretty decent CFL QB coin?) - Porter might be able to win the #2 job for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wathcing TSN last night, Porter asked for his release so that he can try his luck with another team. They said he was 30 and had been around for 5 years now. Wow...how time flies. I don't see the Argos going after him, but like Paul, would have no problem if they did.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Stala now signed til 2014.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies