Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

What does Trestman's departure mean for us?

According to the Chicago Trib, the Bears have confirmed his hiring. So Mtl needs a new head coach, and Trestman needs co-ordinators. Is anyone else worried that we might lose either Jones or Milanovich as a result of all this? I think there is an excellent chance we will lose Jones to Mtl, but not a very great chance we will lose SM to Chicago. I can't see Trestman hiring an OC who hasn't worked more than SM has in the NFL. But both are scary possibilities, IMO. If Jones goes to Mtl, I guess O'Shea would be the most logical replacement as DC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    It's definitely going to be an interesting next few weeks.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Boatman
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I thought the exact same thing as I read the article moment's ago. Scott's got a good thing going here so doubtful he'll go anywhere.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronInToronto View Post
    I thought the exact same thing as I read the article moment's ago. Scott's got a good thing going here so doubtful he'll go anywhere.
    agreed. why leave just to keep the same post. the argos fan base is on the rise while the als are receding. whoever gets hired will have some big shoes to fill and an aging QB who now lost his mentor.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I believe Paul meant losing SM as a member of Trestmans staff in Chicago not jump ship Mtl

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Wow - exciting news, and probably good for the league. I can't remember the last time a CFL HC stepped into an NFL HC position. Provided that Trestman doesn't fall on his face, the CFL's credibility will be enhanced.

As for our coaching staff, I have no idea how committed any of our people are.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I can see Trestman wanting coordinators that he knows and trusts. The OC and DC jobs in the NFL may pay quite a bit more than the HC job in the CFL. What looked like quite stable HC positions in the CFL this year could suddenly be disrupted if Milanovich and maybe Winnipeg's Burke were to follow Trestman to Chicago as the OC and DC. Or Jones might go as a package deal with Milanovich.
    Montreal is going to be scrambling now looking for a new Coaching staff, and if Popp leaves that will really throw a wrench into things.
    Does Desjardins stay in Montreal or accept the Ottawa job as rumoured.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Wow - exciting news, and probably good for the league. I can't remember the last time a CFL HC stepped into an NFL HC position. Provided that Trestman doesn't fall on his face, the CFL's credibility will be enhanced.

As for our coaching staff, I have no idea how committed any of our people are.
    I just can't understand how anyone can say this is good for the league when your top players and coaches are continuously being syphoned off to go somewhere else. Continuity is one thing everyone agrees that the CFL needs, yet we celebrate when top personnel we want continuity around keep disappearing. The Als are now finding themselves in a desperate situation of now trying to find a coach and maybe a GM right at draft and free agent time. The Alouettes may be a shambles this season, but hey, it's good for the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Trestman has been in the NFL for many years in the past, and I'm sure developed good relationships with plenty of coaches down there. I don't think we have too much to worry about in terms of losing Milanovich to him. Jones to Montreal is a possibility, but it depends on whether or not they want to keep the philosophy of an offence first guy as their head coach.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Achievements:
    Level
    I don't think Jones will ever be a CFL HC imo. He looks like a co-ordinator for life and will then become a GM when the time is right. Greg Marshall would probably still have a job if he didn't accept that job in Riderland. It took Stubler 2 years to get another job and clearly he's a better DC than a HC. Looks like DCs don't have a lot of success, Richie Hall being another.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    I think you're going to see Lapolice get interviewed there. Good news for Marc but he was so classy its a shame for the league to lose him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I believe Paul meant losing SM as a member of Trestmans staff in Chicago not jump ship Mtl
    My bad. There was talk about it in other forums so it was a reflex response.

It was time for him to go. The media here was starting to bash him claiming coaches were leaving because he was a tyrant. He'll do fine in Bears country. He'll be as committed a coach as the NFL has ever seen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I think you're going to see Lapolice get interviewed there. Good news for Marc but he was so classy its a shame for the league to lose him.
    Lots of candidates out there and lots of money left on the table to maneuver with. He'll make the cfl proud as Levy and Bud Grant did. He's going to a contender team. Wouldn't be surprised to see him win it all as a rookie.

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    I just can't understand how anyone can say this is good for the league when your top players and coaches are continuously being syphoned off to go somewhere else. Continuity is one thing everyone agrees that the CFL needs, yet we celebrate when top personnel we want continuity around keep disappearing. The Als are now finding themselves in a desperate situation of now trying to find a coach and maybe a GM right at draft and free agent time. The Alouettes may be a shambles this season, but hey, it's good for the league.
    I think it's good in a way that now the rest of of North America may see the CFL as a very good, competitive league and not some side show with NFL rejects or that we only hire Canadians or do scouting trips in the Arctic (or whatever other insults there are out there). It's guys like this that make the league look bad, and most people do not have their own opinion and just believe whatever they read. The guy claims anyone can coach a team to the Grey Cup

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...zzling-at-best

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    Means the odds of a Hamilton - Toronto East Final at the 'Dome just increased just a little bit.

Achievements:
    Level
    At least SM is safe

"New Chicago Bears Head Coach Marc Trestman has wasted no time in hiring new coaches. Just a few short hours after being named Head Coach by the Bears, he brings in former New Orleans Saints interim Head Coach Aaron Kromer as the team’s offensive coordinator and offensive line coach."

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I think it's good in a way that now the rest of of North America may see the CFL as a very good, competitive league and not some side show with NFL rejects or that we only hire Canadians or do scouting trips in the Arctic (or whatever other insults there are out there). It's guys like this that make the league look bad, and most people do not have their own opinion and just believe whatever they read. The guy claims anyone can coach a team to the Grey Cup

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mi...zzling-at-best

If the "rest of North America" doesn't get that the CFL is a good football league - after decades of examples like - Bud Grant & Marv Levy, Tom Clements as coaching examples, or Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, Vanderjagt, etc. etc. thru to Cameron Wake or Brandon Browner now as players, then IMO - Trestman going to the Bears as HC is next to irrelevant in terms of changing any percpetions there.

Is what it is for the CFL; top players or coaches are sometimes going to get attention and jump at the chance to make big buck$ and get way more prestige in their own country; congrats to Trestman; and learn to deal with this type of thing CFL fans - it is inherent in the way the CFL is now set-up and run.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Too bad he's gone to the stinky Bears. haha. Good for him and I was worried right away that he'd try and take Milanovich with him. This is what coaching is all about. It's mostly a career of bouncing all over the place. Not many guys stick with one team for years and years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Milanovich isn't going anywhere. I do worry about losing Jones to Montreal but he does have a pretty good gig in Toronto as he has considerable say in personnel with the Argonauts.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 294life View Post
    My bad. There was talk about it in other forums so it was a reflex response.

It was time for him to go. The media here was starting to bash him claiming coaches were leaving because he was a tyrant. He'll do fine in Bears country. He'll be as committed a coach as the NFL has ever seen.
    You may be right that it was time for Trestman to move on, both for himself and the team. I thought that it was quite telling that Marcus Brady skipped town as soon as he could after he was Trestman's pick only a year ago to be the offensive coordinator and he did a fine job.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force