Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just over halfway through the season the Maple Leafs are 21-16-5. The team despite struggling for the last couple of months remains in a playoff spot. Jonathan Bernier has been very good in net and is clearly taking a hold of the #1 spot over James Reimer. An interesting stat is that Bernier's GAA is 2.40 with a SvPct of .931 a testament I think to the amount of shots that the Maple Leafs are surrendering.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well after last nights crap out in Carolina The Leafs are looking very sad and useless. Well one thing hasn't changed in my first year back in Ontario since 02, the Leafs are still a joke. Hard pill to swallow and I think they've just stopped listening to the coaching staff. It's like fall all over again because the Leafs are falling fast. I'm sure Washington will put a beating on them tonight. They've had issues all year and now with both goalies showing that they're human the team is getting hammered.
    After watching a few Marlie games it seems that they don't have much real depth either. I sure don't know the answers when it's basically the same crap year in and year out. Hard to see the other original six win the odd cup or many since we last had a sniff oh so many years ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I have a hard time these days assessing a team based on their record because the records these days can be somewhat deceiving. Back in the old days, it was simple - you either won, lost or tied. Now, you get a point for losing in OT or a shootout and there is no such thing as a tie. Some games are worth three points while others are only worth two. The Leafs have only won 14 out of 46 games in regulation or overtime which doesn't sound too good but they have also lost four in shootouts and one in OT. If there were no shootouts and games were declared tied after OT as once was the case, their record would be 14-20-12 if my math is right. I believe that they have won only a couple of games in regulation time over the last month and a half or so. Only five teams in the league have won fewer games in regulation or OT than the Leafs. Interpreting the standings these days is challenging though.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 01-10-2014 at 11:42 PM.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I'm sure Washington will put a beating on them tonight.
    The Leafs lost again but their "compete level" was good.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Problems probably go deeper than coaching--but I don't think Randy Carlyle is long for his job.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    It's difficult to understand how an organization just can't get it's stuff together year after year. Leaf fans need to bail on this sinking team and by that I mean don't go to games. I watch but I won't spend money on them. They have people so sucked into this Leaf Nation crap. Nothing will change until it hurts MLSE's pocket book. Leaf fans think they're something special because they sit through years and years of bad hockey. TO is a very strange place for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    It's difficult to understand how an organization just can't get it's stuff together year after year. Leaf fans need to bail on this sinking team and by that I mean don't go to games. I watch but I won't spend money on them. They have people so sucked into this Leaf Nation crap. Nothing will change until it hurts MLSE's pocket book. Leaf fans think they're something special because they sit through years and years of bad hockey. TO is a very strange place for sure.
    They're like the Chicago Cubs of the NHL. The loveable losers. Should be a good tilt tonight. Funny they'd have Bute-Pascal fight the same day.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It has been a combination of bad management decisions and some just bad luck too. You have to question the recent Phaneuf extension. The last 20 years they have had the chance to sign many stars, but seemed to always get ones after their prime, such as Lindros.

The recent Alumni Classic was a perfect example of a well run team vs a bad one. To play for Detroit, a player must have won 2 Stanley Cups, or be in the Hall of Fame, or won an individual NHL award. The Leafs had Tie Domi, and a roster with players who have won cups on other teams, LOL.

I understand loyalty in sports. We have been through some tough years as Argo fans, and it makes the winning seasons that much more special. To never seem to win though? Yes, Leaf fans pride themselves as "special" to justify their addiction. I agree they are "special" too.
    Last edited by ArgoZ; 01-18-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The weird thing about this season is that the only thing keeping the Leafs in the playoff hunt is how good they have been at shootouts. They are 9-4 in shootouts so far this season which is the best record in the league. Conversely, only five teams in their conference and seven in the league have fewer regulation/OT wins. In fairness to the Leafs though, in past years, shootouts have probably cost them a playoff spot once or twice as they have been one of the worst teams in that department since the skills competition was introduced to break ties back in '05. This year, however, they are on fire in shootouts. They have scored on almost half of their shootout attempts which is a phenomenal accuracy rate!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Why no Leaf talk for two months on here? When is Bernier coming back? That is likely the key factor as to whether Toronto makes the playoffs or not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Anyone have any thoughts about the Leafs and this collapse? argofan87? argolio? AngeloV? 1argoholic? Anyone, anyone? Making the playoffs seems unlikely now. What should the Leafs do in the off-season? I really thought that they were home and cooled out after winning two out of three out west a couple of weeks back. I can't recall a collapse quite like this one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts about the Leafs and this collapse? argofan87? argolio? AngeloV? 1argoholic? Anyone, anyone? Making the playoffs seems unlikely now. What should the Leafs do in the off-season? I really thought that they were home and cooled out after winning two out of three out west a couple of weeks back. I can't recall a collapse quite like this one.
    The leafs have collapsed the past 3 seasons. You can't build a team around Kessel and Phaneuf, they don't perform when it matters most. This article raises some concerns:

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/uhn...fs-are-insane/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 353
    Achievements:
    Level
    Still six games left, Ravi. I'm foolishly holding out for a miracle finish.

Though at this point I'll take one win.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    All of the major issues this team has had all year had been covered up by KILLER goaltending. They've given up way too many shots a game but been bailed out and done just enough to win. Since Benier hurt his groin they've just tanked. I don't think he's anywhere near 100% and I think they kept the wrong guy as a backup.

There's always next year. My as well start using that saying for them.

First winter back in Ontario after 11 away and nothing has changed in Leafland. Fans need to stop going and perhaps the organization would try harder from top to bottom. Hell I'd have someone fallow the Redwings scouts around and take notes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Only 2 points out of a playoff spot in spite of 8 straight losses. Shows how far they've fallen.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 294life View Post
    Only 2 points out of a playoff spot in spite of 8 straight losses. Shows how far they've fallen.
    The big problem isn't being only two points out; it is that they are running out of games as they have played one or two more games than everyone around them. Their lower number of regulation/OT wins isn't helping them with possible tie-breakers either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 294life View Post
    And still only an 8.5% chance to make the playoffs:

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Stick a fork in them. Just lose a few more and get the pain over with.

Hell we just went to two of the best hockey's games I've ever scene in Peterborough for game four and six against Kingston. We thought game four would be the first round sweep for Kingston and we wanted to hit one last game for the season. Well in case you didn't hear the Petes won four straight and sent Kingston fans away wondering what the hell and how did their heavily favoured team crap out like that. Only four times in the long history of the OHL has a team come back to win the last four games.
    We will be heading to at least two more games against Oshawa next week. The old barn in Peterborough will be rockin.

Go Petes Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Is there any reason to be particularly excited about Brendan Shanahan becoming the new president of the Leafs? He has never run a hockey team before so this move comes with risk. He could turn out to be the next Cam Neely or the next Kevin Lowe. The same applies to Trevor Linden in Vancouver.