Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Nicholson Resigns, Rudge named CEO

I bet he's a nice guy and all but he clearly wasn't a football guy. I wish him all the best and I think the Argos are heading in the right direction. I personally thought he deserved to get fired but whatever I'm happy.

http://argonauts.ca/article/argos-leadership-change

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    he (Nicholson) was responsive to me with my concerns over the gameday experience and the rough time that Rogers Centre staff were giving his guests on a shockingly frequent basis. he is also a gentleman and i thank him for his service and wish him well.

with his experience on the Canadian Olympic Comittee and as well as his time as Pres. at Quebecor, to say nothing of his current file that he's in charge of (the 100th Grey Cup this year), Rudge is obviously a heavyweight. hard to complain when our owner can tap talent like that.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    YAWN....

can we have some REAL Argonews....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I think this is good news for Argo fans. Though I think Nicholson is a nice and good guy, I think a guy like Rudge is what we need right now. Watching him talk with the TSN panel during some interviews during the Grey Cup, he seems to have some good passion and a great background in Canadian sport - with the Own the Podium initiative. One thing I thought was quite smart, especially in Toronto is the fact that they are combining the Grey Cup parade with the Santa Claus parade here. I think that's great, because the Santa Claus parade already has TV rights, so they can piggy back on those and save money. Also, you're promoting your product to families and trying to get new people out. Trying to get a younger generation to bring their kids to the game and stuff. He mentioned other things like events at Dundas Square, etc. But I think he can definitely bring a push for the Argos here.

This is great news to hear for the Argo organization and fans to have a guy like him leading the way... lets hope he can do some big things... maybe get a push for a stadium

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I think this is good to get fresh ideas going forward.

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Level
    At least we know who made this decision - - Brayley wanted to Rudge in as CFL commissioner and now he finally has him in as President. Interesting shift in power dynamics at the top.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    I heard him on McCown this afternoon.
    Always optomistic, one of the many things he is hoping for is the team getting in the black by 2014.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Nicholson seemed OK on the business side of the game but Rudge seems like an improvement. He has a good track record, plans to make the team more explosive and intends to make his presence felt through media exposure, something Nicholson was not good at.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Rudge is a very charismatic guy when you seem him on interviews.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I heard him on McCown this afternoon.
    Always optomistic, one of the many things he is hoping for is the team getting in the black by 2014.
    Here is the interview on the FAN 590: http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...30_174931_6200

A number of interesting points were touched upon. I get the sense from Rudge that he will be persistent in rebuilding this franchise and it is persistence that has been missing over the last three decades IMO. We have had owners and presidents who have had short-term success and then the team has one bad season and suddenly these people throw their hands up in the air (e.g. McNall, Gretzky, Cynamon and Sokolowski). That has to stop. You have to keep at it year in and year out and not give up when things don't go your way.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I was always a bit suspicious about Nicholson, who was in charge of the Bills in Toronto series the first year (he did such a fantastic job there). The way the Argos franchise has been sleepwalking over past couple years, I wondered if he was he still on the Rogers payroll?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    If Rudge is going to follow through on his bravado...then thats a bonus....

The Argo's could, and should be the #2 team in Toronto....behind the Leafs...(realistically the Leafs will always be #1 in Toronto)

The "BLOW" Jays...nobody cares about except the anti-CFL Rogers group....

The Raptors are a bunch of thugs, and nobody but a bunch of punks care about them.....

The Rock are cool..but will never be more than the 4th or fifth team in Toronto...

The stupid Toronto Soccer Club, has a core of drunken fans, but soccer is so boring it will never grow beyond the pub crowd....

SO...why not go for #2...Rudge sounds like he is in it for the long haul...it would be GREAT to see the Argo's be front page news again...

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post

The Argo's could, and should be the #2 team in Toronto....behind the Leafs...(realistically the Leafs will always be #1 in Toronto)

The Raptors are a bunch of thugs, and nobody but a bunch of punks care about them.....

The Rock are cool..but will never be more than the 4th or fifth team in Toronto...

The stupid Toronto Soccer Club, has a core of drunken fans, but soccer is so boring it will never grow beyond the pub crowd....

SO...why not go for #2...Rudge sounds like he is in it for the long haul...it would be GREAT to see the Argo's be front page news again...
    I'm having trouble following your logic. If these other Toronto teams have such weak and insignificant fan bases as you claim then shouldn't the Argos already be the "#2" team in this city? Instead of making pointless hateful statements perhaps making suggestions on how to get the Argos to the "#2" spot would be more logical.
    Last edited by T-Bone; 01-31-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post

You still never answered the question of how you're going to get the Argos back up in the ranks of Toronto sports fans. Hoping the other sports teams fold or move isn't going to cut it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Rudge's comments about how Nicholson did well to stanch the financial bleeding of the club was nice to hear. As supporters (and we are among that core of hardcores that Rudge mentions) we never get a "state of the franchise" address to know these things. i would definitely consider changing this if i were Mr. Rudge. i've not yet met the man, but my chats with past club execs have been informative (for me and i daresay them as well) and as a fan they helped keep me feeling engaged in the plight of the Argos.

His goal of having us in the black by 2014 is laudable... but i doubt i'm the only person here who find it difficult to believe. i hate it when i agree with McCown, but when he said how he has been asked time and again by fans, media, team and league officials what would he do to fix the Argonaut franchise and restore it to it's greatness of the not too distant past, he literally has to raise a white flag. i know exactly what he means. i consider myself an intelligent, creative (and handsome... but that has nothing to do with my point) man, but i literally look at all aspects of this franchise's challenges and would have no idea how to fix them. Some problems are so big and complex that they can literally paralyze you when you start to analyze them (aka: paralysis by analysis)... for me, this has always been one of those.

We are the team's best, most loyal and informed supporters... i just feel like we haven't been tapped properly and deployed against the issues facing our club.

Some time when i have more time to noodle over this, i think i'll start a thread or blog on here about this...

Good luck Chairman Rudge. You have my support.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    You still never answered the question of how you're going to get the Argos back up in the ranks of Toronto sports fans. Hoping the other sports teams fold or move isn't going to cut it.
    and it sorta misses the point, imo.

We are the Toronto Argonaut Football Club. Been around since 1873. Won more Grey Cups than anybody. We don't concern ourselves with other franchises positions in some imaginary pecking order.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    During the same interview I heard on McCown, it was interesting how the current plan is 3 years in duration and for the team to get into the black by 2014.
    Here is the kicker that I picked up on, then when Mr. Braley decides to sell it is hoped the team will be well positioned and financially attractive for the conglomerate Bell-Rogers-MLSE to buy?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    During the same interview I heard on McCown, it was interesting how the current plan is 3 years in duration and for the team to get into the black by 2014.
    Here is the kicker that I picked up on, then when Mr. Braley decides to sell it is hoped the team will be well positioned and financially attractive for the conglomerate Bell-Rogers-MLSE to buy?
    That is what it sounded like to me.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I remember when David Braley bought the Argos, he said that he was 69 years old and didn't want to own either the Argos or BC Lions by the time he was 75.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    If it means saving the Argos and having bigger crowds by forcing Leafs ST holders to buy tickets, I can live with it. I'm at the point now where I just want the Argos and CFL to be strong, by any means necessary.
    It's us vs the rest of the country