Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Just read that crap article and could not believe this when I first heard about it...the audacity of this company...what a slap to the taxpayers of this province and to economically knowledgeable sports fans who must be reminded how this clown was giftwrapped this property for $25 mil after taxpayers forked over $532 million to build the dome.

How about the BS about Ted being a "visionary risk-taker". What the hell is so risk taking about being given a government monopoly forcing everybody who wanted cable to buy your services because competition to offer cable was non-existent. What drivel????
    1. Rogers did NOT buy the Dome from the taxpayer ... so it was a previous owner of the Dome that ripped off the taxpayer. (Thank you Bob Ray) So your Anti-Ted bias is just plain wrong on this one.

2. He was a risk taker with vision. Your anti-Ted bias is working against you here and probably a lack of business knowledge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Well you miss some TO news when you live way out west. I had no idea that a place that holds so many Great childhood memories was shut down in Ontario Place. That's a Great location for Argo Dome. Who owns the land and a no one could ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodome about that. Why did Ontario Place close? It used to be such a great place.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Well you miss some TO news when you live way out west. I had no idea that a place that holds so many Great childhood memories was shut down in Ontario Place. That's a Great location for Argo Dome. Who owns the land and a no one could ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodome about that. Why did Ontario Place close? It used to be such a great place.
    Ontario place is special to me too. As a youngster, my Grandmother would take me there all the time. Attendance has dwindled since then and with that came financial problems so the government closed it. It did lose it's luster. The waterpark was average, the once cool IMAX can be found in many cities now, and the best ride was a log ride that was around when I was a kid! There are supposed to be plans to completely revitalize the land, but it's been all quit lately. A new stadium acting as the centrepiece, accessed by the old bridges would be so awesome.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks for the heads up SnowRogue!!
    Great to at least see more public dialogue on this subject.
    The most comforting part of the article is finding out that Karen Stintz has a plan that none of us moronic Argofans (myself included) have never considered "I would find it interesting to work on know we fill the existing stadium".
    Gee thanks Karen, none of us (paying fans) have ever thought of such a concept, it actually brought a tear to my eye as to how smart you city politicians are and how stupid we all are!
    Fear not my fellow Argofans with geniuses like this getting involved this project is in good hands!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Sorry guys, but once all is said and done, the option that makes any real fiscal sense is for the Argos to play at the expanded BMO stadium. I don't think it's just a fluke that all of a sudden the Mayor is talking about a new stadium and then MLSE talks about revamping BMO. Can't see spending 150 to 200 million on a new place or spending 40 million on fixing BMO

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    1. Rogers did NOT buy the Dome from the taxpayer ... so it was a previous owner of the Dome that ripped off the taxpayer. (Thank you Bob Ray) So your Anti-Ted bias is just plain wrong on this one.

2. He was a risk taker with vision. Your anti-Ted bias is working against you here and probably a lack of business knowledge.
    Since when does being given an entire market (cable subscribers and home owners) by government regulation any sign of risk taking...that's a can't miss proposition.

That does not make me anti-Ted, as that would be personal, but it does make Ted's business and anyone who supports that cartelization practice that he was protected by definitely anti-business.

That statue is totally inappropriate at the dome. It should be at Jarvis and Bloor...period.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    Sorry guys, but once all is said and done, the option that makes any real fiscal sense is for the Argos to play at the expanded BMO stadium. I don't think it's just a fluke that all of a sudden the Mayor is talking about a new stadium and then MLSE talks about revamping BMO. Can't see spending 150 to 200 million on a new place or spending 40 million on fixing BMO
    I think it will indeed be BMO field where the Argonauts ultimately end up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I think it will indeed be BMO field where the Argonauts ultimately end up.
    The problem again on top of the stadium currently being crap, the Argos will not be able to control the stadium and will take second fiddle to MLSE and will get crumbs for dates availability. Why would Mr. Braley and the fans put up that again? Do we want more Tuesday games?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    The problem again on top of the stadium currently being crap, the Argos will not be able to control the stadium and will take second fiddle to MLSE and will get crumbs for dates availability. Why would Mr. Braley and the fans put up that again? Do we want more Tuesday games?
    Obviously, having control of a stadium would be the ideal situation. But if the Argos do end up at BMO (and unlike some people here, I do not think that is inevitable despite how obviously logical it seems), they would be playing second fiddle to a team that plays there about 12 times a year, not 81, and in a facility that almost never hosts concerts, etc. So it would have to be better than what we have now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    I would think the scheduling at BMO would be easier than Skydome as TFC plays less games, not sure about how you would work out practices for both teams though. I don't follow MLS soccer so not sure what the teams daily schedule is like (perhaps T Bone would know more).
    Don't know if the political landscape will allow another huge taxpayer investment on another stadium to be built only for the Argonauts. The problem is if they let BMO pass them by once again (while renovations are being discussed) they may ultimately end up with no feasible options again. Having the Argonauts at BMO may also be attractive to MLSE as well to better utilize the facility.
    The Argonauts are not exactly dealing from a position of strength at the moment regarding a stadium so they better be careful not to eliminate any options moving forward.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Where's Mulder to show us what the Argos sked could have been if they played at BMO this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    Since when does being given an entire market (cable subscribers and home owners) by government regulation any sign of risk taking...that's a can't miss proposition.
    Well there was some risk since cable TV was a new technology in a ten (give or take) channel universe, and Rogers wasn't exactly flush with cash in 1970. All the cable companies also had a hand in dividing geographical markets since it wasn't economically feasible in the beginning to have them all wire the same neigbourhood but only have every third or fourth house as a subscriber. The problem came later when the CRTC let these companies keep their monopolies for too long instead of fostering more competition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    As much as i hate BMO and cringe at the thought of the Argos playing out of a stadium made out of Mechano. It looks like the most lkely scenario.
    I dont think TFC fans think its going to happen as they have grand plans to have MLSE square off the seating and have a roof installed making it their own little Old Trafford. I think TFC fans are coming around and realizing what a halfarsed stadium it is.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    BMO would be a huge step backwards. Leaving the mistake by the lake CNE and now returning to a bigger mistake. Oh well it's out of my hands.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    This line caught my eye in the canoe blog

"Otherwise, the day will come where BMO Field’s chief tenant is no longer Toronto FC, if only because a shared venue will likely be the final nail in a coffin that’s been steadily closing for seven MLS seasons."

Is this writer stating that MLS in Toronto is already on a steady decline to oblivion?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    This line caught my eye in the canoe blog

"Otherwise, the day will come where BMO Field’s chief tenant is no longer Toronto FC, if only because a shared venue will likely be the final nail in a coffin that’s been steadily closing for seven MLS seasons."

Is this writer stating that MLS in Toronto is already on a steady decline to oblivion?
    Considering that he calls Toronto a "soccer-mad city", I suspect that the "nail in a coffin" might be in reference to the ongoing rumours about the soccer folks having to share their precious stadium.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Considering that he calls Toronto a "soccer-mad city", I suspect that the "nail in a coffin" might be in reference to the ongoing rumours about the soccer folks having to share their precious stadium.
    MLSE will never let the Argos in the door anyway. Besides, Heaven forbid if we cost TFC support of its longtime (7 years) supporters. TFC is a tradition that must be upheld at any cost.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    MLSE will never let the Argos in the door anyway. Besides, Heaven forbid if we cost TFC support of its longtime (7 years) supporters. TFC is a tradition that must be upheld at any cost.
    Yeah but MLSE doesn't own the stadium. They only manage it. If the city of Toronto were to tell them they had no choice but to let the Argos in, I don't think there is anything they can do to stop it. Who knows, if MLSE balked, maybe their agreement can be voided and maybe the Argos can take over managing the place.
    It's us vs the rest of the country