Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    iii) would be nice if Cohon ever cared extend the same sort of invite to Argo fans... but i won't hold my breath
    To be fair, everyone in Toronto was invited to his state-of-the-league event at the Royal York on the Saturday of GC Weekend. I know many fans went to it, and everyone could have.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    To be fair, everyone in Toronto was invited to his state-of-the-league event at the Royal York on the Saturday of GC Weekend. I know many fans went to it, and everyone could have.
    To be fair, having it during GC (which only comes here every so often) and then at noon on Saturday when many are still partied out maybe should get us a do-over.

Heck, the Saskies get an off-season informal pub night... i know that Cohon is there for the COY luncheon, but still, would it be so hard to throw out a tweet that he's going to the Elephant and Castle and wondered if any Argo fans wanted to talk CFL football?

EDIT: he tweeted this today... hopefully he gets around to us.

Mark Cohon@canadiancommish
    Hey @stampederspres come on out tomorrow night at the@PressBoxRegina. 7pm. I'm buyin'!
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Mark Cohon tweeted to Rider fans that he'd be at a particular sportsbar in Regina Wednesday night for CFL chat and a drink... Rider Stronson (site admin at RF) asked Green Buddha to ask Cohon about the Argo's future in the concrete pimple:

The Argos will NOT be playing in university stadiums or any makeshift stadiums either.
    i) nice of the boys at RF to care
    ii) interesting info from Cohon
    iii) would be nice if Cohon ever cared extend the same sort of invite to Argo fans... but i won't hold my breath
    THAT's a big surprise. I hope he means current university stadiums, because I really only see upside with the Argonauts partnering with a university to share a really sweet stadium. It means more football played in the building, more other sports (Rugby, Lacrosse, Soccer, Field Hockey etc), an easier argument for public funds, etc. I'm a huge Argo fan, but a well-appointed 25-28k stadium for the sole purpose of nine CFL games just doesn't sit right with the taxpayer in me (even though I'm now a taxpayer in Atlanta, but you get the point). PREDICTION: If the Argos really are serious about not partnering with a university, then they're moving to Mississauga. I've heard Hurricane Hazel say a few times on the radio that she'd be interested in building a Stadium in her city, even though there's no big university or other professional sport there to share it with.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Could Lamport Stadium be a viable location for the Argos? How much money would it take to bring that stadium up to professional standards?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    At this stage, all i want is it to have a 28-30ish capacity (we don't need more since we can do playoffs and GC in the Dome), and plenty of parking nearby. I question whether the Lamport property is large enough... but i can't say for sure that it isn't.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    At this stage, all i want is it to have a 28-30ish capacity (we don't need more since we can do playoffs and GC in the Dome), and plenty of parking nearby. I question whether the Lamport property is large enough... but i can't say for sure that it isn't.
    Think less, 25,000-26,000 max.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Another stadium location debate...here we go again...
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    t
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    because that's all Lamport could fit? or because you reckon 25k-26k is better?

(i felt that from a business standpoint, the new stadium could fit a better niche in the concert and event market if it were near 30k... since Toronto has event localations at various sizes already entrenched in the market like Downsview for 100k+, SkyDome for 40k-52k, ACC 15k-19k, and the Ampitheatre at 16k... to me the biggest gap in the market is in between the ACC and SkyDome...)
    Last edited by bluto; 02-28-2013 at 02:03 PM.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    I don't think we should be giving up on the prospect of drawing 40,000 on a regular basis. We still don't know how the city will respond if the Argos have a 15-year run as perennial Cup contenders like the Alouettes. But we may be on the verge of finding out. Let's not sell the team short too early.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't think we should be giving up on the prospect of drawing 40,000 on a regular basis. We still don't know how the city will respond if the Argos have a 15-year run as perennial Cup contenders like the Alouettes. But we may be on the verge of finding out. Let's not sell the team short too early.
    not sure if i like the idea of 40k capacity. i would love 40k if we could fill it... but with 40k you run the risk of having 10k empty seats staring at you even though you sold a very respectable 30k.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:

Level
    I still remember having a Trillium Dome bumper sticker when Mississauga was trying to get the dome instead of Skydome.

This stadium talk is getting real old and going nowhere.

I'm sick of Cohan pandering to Saskatchewan. The province has one pro sports team what else are they going to follow? Rider fans aren't doing anything special.

This stadium talk wouldn't be happening every week if Rogers treated the Argos with a tiny bit of respect. I'm not into religion but I do believe in karma for lack of a better word. The Jays will win squat until they start to treat the Argonaut organization with respect. You heard it here first. The Jays will underachieve once again this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I'm sick of Cohan pandering to Saskatchewan. The province has one pro sports team what else are they going to follow? Rider fans aren't doing anything special.
    You should cater to your dedicated fan base, not ignore it. Ignoring it was one of the reasons Argo attendance went way down in the 1980s after hitting the high 40s in the late '70s. Sask fans are strong supporters, but they should not be taken for granted.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I'm getting sick of these as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Could Lamport Stadium be a viable location for the Argos? How much money would it take to bring that stadium up to professional standards?
    If Lamport is viable it would still be a tear down and rebuild in my opinion. I've played rec soccer there and it is a small community stadium. I honestly don't think it is a big enough space for a pro stadium.
    Last edited by T-Bone; 02-28-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone
    I'm getting sick of these as well.

Geez guys... the commish was quoted with new info so i bumped a thread... excuuuuuuse me!

Steve-Martin-and-his-banjo.jpg

Seriously though... there will be much, much, much more of this coming. Best mentally prepare yourselves.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Geez guys... the commish was quoted with new info so i bumped a thread... excuuuuuuse me!

Seriously though... there will be much, much, much more of this coming. Best mentally prepare yourselves.
    It's nothing against the information you posted. I'm just tired of going threw the same options over and over again, Lamport Stadium, York University, Varsity Stadium, BMO Field, etc. If what the Commissioner is saying is true it would great to see but mchesher03 asked the most relevant questions:

Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    just curious who is going to end up paying for it since we didn't get on the Pan Am Games spending spree?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    At this point I'd like to hear about a stadium being built on the far east end of TO as we're moving to Peterborough area. Strickly for selfish reasons. haha.

I'm pretty sure about one thing. If there is ever to be a new Argos Stadium it'll get built without all of these issues. One thing about building in the GTA is that they know what they're doing. You think the new Winnipeg Stadium is a joke you should see the gongshow out here. We had a huge lot cleared for a new box store development that sat empty for over a year before building started.
    They clear cut the top of one of our small mountains for homes and a golf course and then realized water wasn't available and now we have to look at a clear cut.
    I live off Hwy 18 which goes to Lake Cowichan. It's a two lane hwy similar to a hwy 9 or 7. Just past us they did seal coating for about a 20 mile stretch. Seal coating is pouring tar down and pebbles ontop. This gongshow had peoples cars being dinged up all over and hundreds of window chips daily. They had to fix the whole stretch.

I miss Ontario.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't think it's all that tiring a topic. It's kind of fun to think about all the possibilities and I am glad to see that there may besome serious talking going on about this issue. I use to be a Stadium formerly known as Skydome supporter, but seeing the way Rogers is acting, I think it maybe time we told Rogers to take their effing stadium and jam it up their ying-yang.
    What is happening with that urban park that is suppose to be built at Downsview? I drove through it the last time I was in the area and it looks like nothing has been done. I look at a map and see the old Canadian Forces Supply Depot and think to myself that it's an ideal location. The area is plenty big enough and it's only a stones throw from the new Go/Subway station. It is close to the runways, but I don't think that would be aninsurmountable problem.
    The other location is the Portlands. I know they havebeen talking about developing that place since Noah was a Sea Cadet, but as part of a larger development, I think a stadium there could work (that's were the Olympic Stadium was suppose to go). That big piece of empty land by the Eastern Gap would be ideal. Any development would have to include better transit and parking. With proper planning the area could become a major tourist area with an Argo Stadium right in the middle of it and it would be visible all over the Toronto Harbour Area which is already a major destination. Seeing the place lit up at night would be like a big billboard seen over the whole harbour saying "Come watch the Argonauts Play". Besides, what better way to get to an Boatman game than by ferry-boat.
    We can dare to dream, but let's just hope that someday it will happen, because I now believe it has to.
    Last edited by Deerkeeper; 02-28-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Don't the Fords have the portlands site reserved for an NFL stadium which will host a Super Bowl within five years of being built?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    A waterfront stadium nicknamed The Boat in the shape of our old boat football logo. Play it up real good. Deerkeeper your right as it is fun in some ways to dream but right now it's all a dream.

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    I said it once and I'll say it again,( BIRCHMOUNT STADIUM) is the best possible scenario, ttc yes, parking in the area yes, central yes, this would be a great new home for the Argos,there is plenty of room to expand!! BUILD IT!! Location Kingston rd/ birchmount