Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Ticats signed yet another free agent today in former Bomber LB Marcellus Bowman. I am not sure what to make of all of these signings by Hamilton. Signing a bunch of free agents from other teams does not tend to be the best way to build a football club. The Ticats did need a defensive overhaul and they are getting one but I just not sure how well this particular method will work for them. Having said this, if they can even get a mediocre defence out of these free agent moves and their offence performs as well this year as last, they could be Grey Cup contenders.
    What exactly is the alternative ? Maintain the status quo or go out and sign unproven import rookies and tell season ticket holders after another disapointing season they might have to wait two years for them to develop, if at all ?
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    So when you say that the coaches determined that Tristan Black "wasn't good enough" to start at LB, you really mean to say that he didn't fit into the team's plans at that particular time. You have said several times on this board that the coach's release of player x was proof that he "wasn't good enough", and I think that kind of absolutism gets the goat of OV and others including me. I dunno, maybe it's just semantics, but the truth is there is sometimes very little to distinguish one player's attributes from another's, so to say a guy gets cut or demoted to backup because he "wasn't good enough" is sometimes very unfair.
    I don't think I have said flatly that a player was not good enough, without attributing that to a coaches' or team decision, but I may be wrong about that. There's no question I have said many, many times that I believed the coaches determined that someone wasn't good enough. I thought "in their judgment" was implicit in such a statement, and certainly at times I said exactly that. However, I take your (and OV's) point and I will endeavour to make my thoughts on this clearer and less inflammatory or absolute in the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Foley and who else? I think after Belli returned he was the second NIMP, but before that what Canadian played regularly on defence last year? Matt Black got some snaps, but certainly not the majority of them.

I think the lack of NIMP starters on defence will be a big problem this year if Foley isn't re-upped.
    After initially playing only as a sub for Foley, David Lee was on the field at the same time as Foley for the majority of his snaps, I would say. However, the amount of time both were on the field together was way below 50 per cent of overall defensive snaps. I agree that re-signing Foley would make things way easier for the ratio. If he doesn't re-sign, either Lee, a linebacker (Pottinger or Yurichuk, unless by some miracle Greenwood lands in our lap) or Matt Black will have to start. I'd personally like to see two NI starters on defence and six on offence (two receivers and four linemen) because using one extra NI provides much more roster flex in the event of an injury. I would have liked to see the Argos sign Bulcke for that reason.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by zontar View Post
    What exactly is the alternative ? Maintain the status quo or go out and sign unproven import rookies and tell season ticket holders after another disapointing season they might have to wait two years for them to develop, if at all ?
    Signing unproven import rookies worked out pretty well for the Argos in 2012.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Foley and who else? I think after Belli returned he was the second NIMP, but before that what Canadian played regularly on defence last year? Matt Black got some snaps, but certainly not the majority of them.

I think the lack of NIMP starters on defence will be a big problem this year if Foley isn't re-upped.

Ravi is incorrect (I'll bet - maybe hard to prove) if he really believes there were 2 NIs on defence for the Argos a majority of the time last year; Foley was the only regular; and there's no way either of Matt Black or David Lee were on the field a majority of the time on D; when Belli came back - he played quite a bit. Jones would rather play his guys on D I supsect.

SO - IF Foley does not return, it could equal a cliched good ole boy "ratio problem" if they just had to play a NI on defence to meet the minimum 7 (which of course they don't if they had 4 to 5 NIs at O-Line and 2 to 3 NI receivers "starting" - easily a possibility). However, with real, open TC competition - there are plenty of openings on D now with several starters gone - Matt Black could compete for a D-backfield job; David Lee at DE maybe; Yurichuck, Pottinger or Tonye-Tonye possibly, given a real shot to compete at MLB; Laing is signed and given a real shot to play at DT - and there's also some very good DT prospcts this draft; and some very good draftable DE propspects too who could possibly play right away; rookie NIs not often given much of a chance to play on D though by your typical CFL decision making "thinker" lately. With all those opening and possiblities, there is a chance one or more NI could play regularly on the Argo D.

Another option is to play one NI only on D, but not a regular starter necessarily; instead one NI on D on the field by committee approach, by subbing in and out different guys; I believe this approach was used by the Stamps a few years back when Jones was in charge of their D (and I believe they got away with bending the ratio rules there by sometimes having all imports on the field on their D with some DIs on defence, and after a NI "started" the game on D).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I believe this approach was used by the Stamps a few years back when Jones was in charge of their D (and I believe they got away with bending the ratio rules there by sometimes having all imports on the field on their D with some DIs on defence, and after a NI "started" the game on D).
    Very interesting. I've often wondered which official is responsible for monitoring the insertion of DIs -- I don't believe I have ever seen a player sent off the field or a penalty called for it. Would it be considered illegal substitution, or is it up to the on-field officials to catch and eject guys before the play starts?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Very interesting. I've often wondered which official is responsible for monitoring the insertion of DIs -- I don't believe I have ever seen a player sent off the field or a penalty called for it. Would it be considered illegal substitution, or is it up to the on-field officials to catch and eject guys before the play starts?
    My understanding is that the head referee meets with the head coaches prior to the game and obtains their list of DIs. The on-field officials are supposed to keep track of these things IIRC. I am assuming that it would be an illegal substitution penalty.

Nowhere in the rulebook does it say that seven non-imports have to start. That number is arrived at by default as each team dresses 20 non-imports and 19 imports along with three QBs. Out of those 19 imports, three are designated imports meaning that no more than 16 imports can start which leaves the other seven spots automatically for Canadians. A DI can only replace another import so I am not sure how one can be sneaked in to replace a Canadian. The only thing I have ever wondered is how do they keep track of this in the preseason or do they even bother to?
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 02-18-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Signing unproven import rookies worked out pretty well for the Argos in 2012.
    Works out for everybody, HAM included, but not in so many areas that HAM needed to address.
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Nowhere in the rulebook does it say that seven non-imports have to start. That number is arrived at by default as each team dresses 20 non-imports and 19 imports along with three QBs. Out of those 19 imports, three are designated imports meaning that no more than 16 imports can start which leaves the other seven spots automatically for Canadians. A DI can only replace another import so I am not sure how one can be sneaked in to replace a Canadian. The only thing I have ever wondered is how do they keep track of this in the preseason or do they even bother to?
    I don't believe the import ratio is in effect during exhibition games.

------

Here is an assesement of Yurichuck by a very knowledgable Lions poster ("Blitz"):

James Yurichuk was one of my favorite Leos. He lost out on a very close training camp battle to a player in Bighill who truly was the best middle linebacker in the league last season. Yurichuk got a lot of rotational reps last season until Eliminian rejoined our Leos. Yurichuk has excellent range, long arms, and talent. He is good enough to start on many teams. He was an excellent special teams player. I understand why he signed with his boyhood favorite team in the Argos. Toronto will also give Yurichuk more opportunity to play than here in B.C. with Bighill, Eliminian, and McKenzie on the roster.
    I'd add that Yurichuck is an aggressive player who can punish opponents and has the ability to be a starter for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level
    i dont know if im looking into this too much, but i have noticed foley retweeting a lot of people wanting him to sign in saskatchewan....he hasnt retweeted anyone from toronto that wants him back....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matchuk View Post
    i dont know if im looking into this too much, but i have noticed foley retweeting a lot of people wanting him to sign in saskatchewan....he hasnt retweeted anyone from toronto that wants him back....
    I will try and see what happens

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Cant we all just get along and discuss this over some wings and beer?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I don't believe the import ratio is in effect during exhibition games.

------

Here is an assesement of Yurichuck by a very knowledgable Lions poster ("Blitz"):

I'd add that Yurichuck is an aggressive player who can punish opponents and has the ability to be a starter for the Argos.
    Interesting, and agreed Blitz is a knowledgeable poster over at Lionbackers (maybe a bit of homer-ism going on though in declaring Bighill the best MLB in the league with the season Sherritt had); as a contrast - pretty sure I read a quite different reiview from one of our old pals on yet another CFL forum though (I think it was on Yurichuck, but it could have been the predictable bashing of another Canadian player). I hope Blitz and Invader are right and Yurichuck can be an impact player for the Argos.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I like what I've seen in Yurichuck and he just throws himself into tackles. I think this is a great signing.

Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Judging by this tweet I'm guessing Mann has retired?

Maurice Mann III@Mr_GAMTiME Football behind me officially... I'm on my Khalif shi*! Yeee #respect #makechoices #livewiththem!

That's a shame, I always thought he was a good receiver who understood what downfield blocking meant. Good for him to leave the game on his own terms, I assume. I don't think you would go from GC starter to no interest from other teams.

Achievements:
    Level
    Another note: Former Argo Cedric Gange-Marcoux also hanged up the cleats this past week. Looked to be a solid guard until the injuries got to him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Another note: Former Argo Cedric Gange-Marcoux also hanged up the cleats this past week. Looked to be a solid guard until the injuries got to him.
    The weird thing about Gagne-Marcoux is he just seemed to disappear suddenly last season. It would have been nice if someone from the media had actually asked some questions about him so that we fans would have known what happened to him but nobody did.

Achievements:
    Level
    The weird thing about Gagne-Marcoux is he just seemed to disappear suddenly last season. It would have been nice if someone from the media had actually asked some questions about him so that we fans would have known what happened to him but nobody did.
    Well we all what Area51's thoughts were.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level
    That's a shame, I always thought he was a good receiver who understood what downfield blocking meant. Good for him to leave the game on his own terms, I assume. I don't think you would go from GC starter to no interest from other teams.
    i agree...i really liked the guy...i also wondered too, why players who can still play would retire? i guess you know when you are done...at least he goes out a champ

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Well we all what Area51's thoughts were.
    What did Area 51 say about Gagne-Marcoux?