Reply to Thread
    Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level

Working with mike bradwell

As many of you may or may not know,mike bradwell in the offseason works for Pcl construction as a field engineer, and is currently working on the same job site as me, two weeks ago he had the grey cup there which was pretty cool, but what's pretty funny is that 99% of the people on the site have no idea who he is?? Some guys were even laughing at the fact that a pro athlete has to work a 9-5 job to survive.. What are your thoughts?

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Well he makes $60 grand for 22 games pretty sure the joke is on them!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Treblecharger1 View Post
    Well he makes $60 grand for 22 games pretty sure the joke is on them!
    At a bare minimum, for 5 months of work. Also, considering each Grey Cup winner got an additional $16,000.00 AND add that to the playoff bonus per player of $7,000 each. So Mike is probably looking at 80K+ this year for 5 months of work. Not bad all things considered.

Football/sporting careers relativity short, even lots of current NHLers take post-secondary schooling for their after hockey career. Its a good thing and IMO keeps most players grounded and likable.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Props to Bradwell for working in the offseason. He doesn't have to considering he just made more than $80K in a six-month span, but he obviously knows he'll need something post-CFL.

Anyone laughing at him would rather be in his position half of the year where he gets paid (well) to play a game.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:

Level
    Guys laughing are grunts that play beer league hockey at best and most likely not very well. Good on Bradwell as not everyone can be making disgusting NFL money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Up until about the 1980s, it wasn't unusual for NHL players to have to work another job in the off-season as well. Of course, now they don't have to because their salaries have increased so much and they don't have much of an off-season anymore either.

Anyway, there is no shame in Bradwell having to do so.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

New Fan
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    An article from 2.5 years ago, for those who haven't already ...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/footba...ever_done.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:

Level
    The ability to get a leg up on a good offseason job was once the main recruiting attraction to players in the CFL, particularly for the American players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:

Level
    By the way, the late great Dick Aldridge was my gym teacher in high school for a short period of time. Believe me, NOBODY cut that class.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:

Level
    I once me a couple of CFL'ers that were transitioning into new careers as Sales Reps for a temp agency. I got to meet Raymond Biggs in Calgary, and Dan Payne with the Argos. Both are great guys, and were very fun to meet. Payne let me wear his Argo Grey Cup rings. They were massive. He also got me tix and an autographed team football.

The thing that makes CFL players great is that they really are no different than any of us. They are down to earth people.

(P.S. I also met a lot of TiCats in the early 90's as my brother-in-law's brother played for the Cats. Usually sat in the section with the wives and girlfriends (or both....lol). Mike Kerrigan's wife was girl-next-door sweet......but I digress).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Ask those guys laughing about the myriad of NFL players (and other leagues too for that matter) that have nothing to show for the millions they earned when their playing days were over. The list is long. i'd rather be a grounded CFL player making a fair wage for fair work then a spoiled millionaire declaring bankruptcy within 5 years of retiring from playing.

not only that, when these guys and mike are old and grey, I am sure mike's pictures on the wall will be more interesting than theirs and his stories too.

That is what life is all about.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:

Level
    I once stood in line behind Joe Poplawski at a 7-11 in Winnipeg one time. He was in the insurance buisness outside of his football career and was working late in his office next door during Autopac renewal season when he wandered over to buy a slurpy. Gotta like that.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:

Level
    I've had some GREAT times with Argo players in the past. Hanging out after games, practices and road trips. The odd guy was full of himself but 99% of CFl players are terrific guys. I remeber one night leaving a bar in O'Shea's jeep with Norm Casola, Morealle and a few others to hit another bar. These guys where a blast. I'm still very sad when I think of Norm. Fun to get to know the guys and I bet you would never get that close to NFL players. Another of my all time Argos is Reggie Givens. I used to bug him about Penn St not belonging in the Big 10. That's all crazy now anyhow. I know that Rory who bangs his drum in the endzone is very good friends with Reggie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    I've had some GREAT times with Argo players in the past. Hanging out after games, practices and road trips. The odd guy was full of himself but 99% of CFl players are terrific guys. I remeber one night leaving a bar in O'Shea's jeep with Norm Casola, Morealle and a few others to hit another bar. These guys where a blast. I'm still very sad when I think of Norm. Fun to get to know the guys and I bet you would never get that close to NFL players. Another of my all time Argos is Reggie Givens. I used to bug him about Penn St not belonging in the Big 10. That's all crazy now anyhow. I know that Rory who bangs his drum in the endzone is very good friends with Reggie.
    I have said this before but Casola's story should be better known than it is. If he were a hockey player here in Canada or a football player in the U.S., a book and a movie would have been made about him by now.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I have said this before but Casola's story should be better known than it is. If he were a hockey player here in Canada or a football player in the U.S., a book and a movie would have been made about him by now.
    Hmm I was always thinking of majoring in film or taking a movie making class towards a few credits. Now I just need the money and actors.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I still get misty-eyed when I think of Norm Casola. One of my most treasured Argonaut items is the pin that the Canadian Cancer Society did of a football player in a blue jersey with the #80. They handed it out at a game shortly after his passing.

I guess it's not truly an Argonaut item, but it represents Casola, and he, at least to me, will always be a true double-blue.

It disappoints me to no end that neither the Argos or the CFL have named the special teams award winner trophy in honour, or memory, of Casola. He epitomized what special teams were all about.

Tragic story, and a life taken far too early.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    p.s. it's also why I don't like seeing the #80 worn on the Argos. I know that it hasn't been used often since his passing.

It's a weird hang-up, I know. But Norm deserves to be remembered by the club in some way.

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Ask those guys laughing about the myriad of NFL players (and other leagues too for that matter) that have nothing to show for the millions they earned when their playing days were over. The list is long. i'd rather be a grounded CFL player making a fair wage for fair work then a spoiled millionaire declaring bankruptcy within 5 years of retiring from playing.

not only that, when these guys and mike are old and grey, I am sure mike's pictures on the wall will be more interesting than theirs and his stories too.

That is what life is all about.
    You nailed it right on the head, many, many nflers go bankrupt in their first year out of the game, not thinking of life outside of football , that's why our cflers are great role models for young athletes and non athletes, because they are living just like the rest of us..

Boatman
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
    Achievements:
    Level
    My former SVP of Marketing , David Marinucci, was an Argo for 1-2 seasons. Worked in telecom for Telus and others for 30 years or so now. Stuided at Queens Commerce if I'm right.