Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Getting out of Skydome would be a blessing for the Argos. Couldn't the Argos chip in to enlarge the grandstands at York's new Pan-Am stadium?

TFC, a football team which plays in a soccer league. No wonder they've never made the playoffs...

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm with Snowrogue. They love their soccer in these parts. They show some very minor league stuff on sports highlights. No use for it or basketball.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny G View Post
    I was recently driving along King St. West... and drove by Lamport. It's a 23-24000 seat stadium, sitting in the middle of one of the most up and coming neighbourhoods in Toronto. There is actually a couple parking lots in the area. Couple issues are driving in that area would be pretty bad, and I think the only transit that passes there is the King St. streetcar.... but this could be a consideration, if renovations to this aren't too expensive.

I think somehow getting in on the York site (via Pan Am Games), is the best bet. Ample parking (allowing for tail gating), Go Bus/TTC/York Region Transit all go to York, plus the fact that the subway is being built to York. Plus, the possibilty of having their training facility there (or even close by at Downsview where they are building the MLS training centre) might be decent.
    Lamport Stadium is not that large it only has a capacity of 9600. It was built in the 70's and would probably need to be torn down and rebuilt to bring it up to spec for the Argos. I agree the best bet would be to get in with the Pan Am Games before the shovels hit the ground on a new facility so it can be properly designed to accommodate the Argos needs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Lamport Stadium is not that large it only has a capacity of 9600. It was built in the 70's and would probably need to be torn down and rebuilt to bring it up to spec for the Argos. I agree the best bet would be to get in with the Pan Am Games before the shovels hit the ground on a new facility so it can be properly designed to accommodate the Argos needs.
    Thanks for the correction. I was positive... it was in the 20k capacity... clearly got it mixed up with something else.

But yes, hopefully Braley and Rudge see the great things that could be for the Argos at York. New multi purpose facility (sports and other events at York), a proper training site, parking, direct transit to the location.... all for drivers, it's not far off the 401, 400 and the 407.... would love to see it happen!

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny G View Post
    Thanks for the correction. I was positive... it was in the 20k capacity... clearly got it mixed up with something else.

But yes, hopefully Braley and Rudge see the great things that could be for the Argos at York. New multi purpose facility (sports and other events at York), a proper training site, parking, direct transit to the location.... all for drivers, it's not far off the 401, 400 and the 407.... would love to see it happen!
    No worries, it happens. I agree York is the best option right now. In a few years the subway extension will reach up there as well which will be an added bonus.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I go to York and I sure don't want them to relocate there. The traffic is brutal and its dead at night. Downtown is the best location but where is the question? How bout tear down some condos lol

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    No worries, it happens. I agree York is the best option right now. In a few years the subway extension will reach up there as well which will be an added bonus.
    A few things, I would like to think Rogers would give at least a full season's notice. If not 3. I believe when the old management let the stadium rent agreement expire, Argos signed on for 3, 3 year lease agreements with renewal options for both at each interval. It pretty much means Rogers have should give notice very shortly. If not already.

Currently that means 16 Months for the Argo's to have a new home. Which honestly leaves about 3 options.

1) Varsity Stadium with Temp seats.
    2) Demo of South end of BMO and rebuild (sorry t-bone!) to CFL spec's Rolling seats an option.
    3) Temp stadium somewhere else.

An extra year would probably give the Argos a chance to get funding to build a place somewhere in the city. (2014 season)

A post I found on a comment on DrunkJaysFan

I know an "insider" that knows as good as anyone about what is going to happen down at the Rogers Centre.

He told me about 6 months ago that they really want to redo and make the Rogers centre a much nice stadium. He told me that they talking about:

- Getting a new HD big screen, that will be North America's 2nd largest to the one in Dallas
    - New seats in the 100's
    - A new roof (or something like that, that will make it open and closer faster)
    - A grass field (though, he wasn't as confident about this one as the others)

New Fan
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    This does not look good at all.
    If Rogers Centre really does become baseball-only by April 2013, that might not leave enough time to plan and build a new stadium -- not a good permanent one anyway, at best something cheap and temporary.
    The previous Argo owners walked away from a chance to pay $20 million towards a proposed $70 million stadium at York University.
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/...ium050512.html

I doubt there's going to be any deal available as good as that this time.
    Last edited by SubMariner; 02-09-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Actually Mulder when Braley "bought" the Argos a new lease agreement was signed, its just the 3 years, which ends after the Grey Cup. C+S signed three 5-year agreeements with Rogers after pulling out of the York deal.
    Home Sweet Home
    “I am pleased to say that we have an agreement in principal with Rogers Centre on a three-year lease.”, stated Nicholson. “I think it puts behind us some of the issues about the options that have come up in recent years and even the investigation late last year with the BMO field option. Rogers Centre is a place that David Braley believes in and that is important in this deal. We believe it offers the best amenities in the CFL for both the players and the fans”.
    http://www.argonauts.ca/article/the-year-ahead

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Actually Mulder when Braley "bought" the Argos a new lease agreement was signed, its just the 3 years, which ends after the Grey Cup. C+S signed three 5-year agreeements with Rogers after pulling out of the York deal.http://www.argonauts.ca/article/the-year-ahead
    Thanks, I couldn't find the source for it. I thought it was 3 3 year deals

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    I support York!

Much closer to my house.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Not a problem, in either case I'm sure at the very least Beeston will give the Argos time to find a facility, but to be honest BMO (cheapest option), York (not crazy about going to a stadium with a track) or a redevelopment of Lamport would be the only options.
    I also hope Beeston would have the decency to give the Argos enough time to find a new home but how do you know renovating BMO Field is the cheapest option? It may be cheaper for the Argos to add money to an already partially government funded facility for the Pan Am Games then to pay for the entire cost of renovating BMO Field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I mentioned Lamport several months ago and I still think if the right type of facility could be built there, the location is a good fit. It's in an older part of Toronto so has that old-time ambience, but it is becoming a hip area with lots of shops and restraurants. Parking would be a problem but it is very close to the Exhibition grounds so it's possible cars could park there and there might even be a possibility of tailgating. And of course it is walking distance to both streetcar and GO so public transit remains viable, which in my view is vitally important. Obviously most or all of what's there would have to be demolished, but if a build has to happen somewhere, there are far worse places to do it, IMO.

As for the Blue Jays, I would not surprised to see them sell the enticing possibility of a grass field for two or three years before it actually happens. Sports is often about selling hope and if they can keep fans' hope alive for a few extra seasons before the new reality, they would probably try to do so.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:

Level
    At best, I can see Lamport as a stop gap measure until something decent is built (think of it as Toronto's Empire Field). It is almost like the Air Canada Centre saga at the beginning. MLSE and the original owners of Toronto's Bouncingball team both wanted to build their own buildings and they both would have been built practically next door to each other until saner heads prevailed; saner being MLSE buying the Bouncingball team and the just under construction ACC and shelving their own plans for Union Station. Expand Lamport to a permanent capacity of 20K and you will be able to stand on the top row and look 500 meters to the south and see Toronto's other permanent 20K stadium. To me, that is just stupid. Expand Lamport temporarily to 20k with all the possible amenities with the understanding that it is just for one or two seasons until something proper and decent is build in a proper and decent location. The Argos and Toronto football fans deserve a proper facility and not something thrown together in desperation. No more converted stadiums.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I thought BMO is out of the question. It doesn't have the proper dimensions for proper sidelines and according to the article they poured concrete in the endzones.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I thought BMO is out of the question. It doesn't have the proper dimensions for proper sidelines and according to the article they poured concrete in the endzones.
    In it's current state, yes. It would have to be renovated to accommodate the Argos. How much that renovation would cost, we don't know.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    York University is the closest of potential sites to where I live making it my selfish choice, but there's really nothing around there but the University and industrial lands. The subway being extended to that area would certainly be a benefit. Lamport is an intriguing site for a stadium. Liberty Village is an "up and coming" area as people have said. Parking is a bit of a problem as there are a lot of smaller lots dotting the area, but nothing really big. It is walking distance to the Exhibition as Paul suggested, but it would be somewhat unusual in the sense that your largest source of parking for the stadium isn't really that close to the stadium. I don't think even a quick fix to Lamport would make it ready for the CFL however.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    York University is the closest of potential sites to where I live making it my selfish choice, but there's really nothing around there but the University and industrial lands. The subway being extended to that area would certainly be a benefit. Lamport is an intriguing site for a stadium. Liberty Village is an "up and coming" area as people have said. Parking is a bit of a problem as there are a lot of smaller lots dotting the area, but nothing really big. It is walking distance to the Exhibition as Paul suggested, but it would be somewhat unusual in the sense that your largest source of parking for the stadium isn't really that close to the stadium. I don't think even a quick fix to Lamport would make it ready for the CFL however.
    Agreed.
    Lamport is in such bad state of disrepair on top of which there really is no room to build new or even expand.
    Parking is virtually non existant.
    Maybe York or try to approach Woodbine again as they previously said no to C & S.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Agreed.
    Lamport is in such bad state of disrepair on top of which there really is no room to build new or even expand.
    Parking is virtually non existant.
    Maybe York or try to approach Woodbine again as they previously said no to C & S.
    AT, I'd like to know on what you are basing the idea that there is no room to expand at Lamport. As for parking, it is in plentiful supply just a few blocks away at the Ex, and that could also double as a tailgate site because it is perfectly contained, as tailgate sites needs to be.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    AT, I'd like to know on what you are basing the idea that there is no room to expand at Lamport. As for parking, it is in plentiful supply just a few blocks away at the Ex, and that could also double as a tailgate site because it is perfectly contained, as tailgate sites needs to be.
    The piece of land that Lamport is on isn't very big and is surrounded by roads on four sides. There probably is a little bit of room for expansion though and we'd be looking at a scenario like Hamilton where one stand (the north side) backs right onto the street.