Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level

Swiss Cheese???....Argo defence??....can you see the difference?

WOW...the Argo defence has more holes to fill than a whorehouse in Vegas....

I understand that Chris Jones has success with his mini camps during the offseason, but this looks like more than finding 1 or 2 guys who can start/play.

GONE...are Foley, Kuale, Armstead, McCollough, Carroll, Boulay, Flemons....and im sure i forgot some others...

Yes, the Argo's can upgrade in terms of talents in some of these cases, however, dont defences need continuity?, which would take time to achieve?

Im abit nervous, hopefully Jones can find a bucket full of talent this off season.

(And...letting go of your LOCAL boy, Grey Cup MVP....yep..real smart in terms of keeping those possible new fans,)
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Actually the closest (legal) whorehouse to Las Vegas is in Pahrump.

Changes to the Argos D-line is something I envisioned last season. They weren't effective against the run and the sack totals (although not emphasized by Jones) were among the lowest in the league.

The secondary and linebacking corps had no continuity last season and they were both strong. It's a matter of lightning striking twice I suppose.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    (And...letting go of your LOCAL boy, Grey Cup MVP....yep..real smart in terms of keeping those possible new fans,)
    Decisions about personnel have to take into account a lot more than the possibility that a guy might have attracted some new fans (a somewhat dubious prospect at best wrt a defensive lineman). If he wanted too much money, he had to go. It's nice that he said he would take a pay cut, but that doesn't mean he was willing to accept what they have budgeted to spend on his position.

Players come and go all the time in football. Foley had a pedestrian season with a big contract, and a few good games near the end. If keeping him at big coin meant letting someone else important go, the outcome could be a lot worse than letting him go.

Armstead is the only truly significant loss on defence, IMO. Boulay never played a snap on D, Flemons has not been a major factor for two seasons, Kuale was a depth and special teams guy last year, McCollough is a fine DB but the Argos never have problems finding those. Methinks the Swiss cheese analogy may be just a tad overstated.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Good thing the Argos signed LOCAL boy James Yurichuk to bring in possible new fans....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Last year, the Argos rebuilt their linebacking corps and defensive backfield. This year it will be the defensive line that gets rebuilt. If they were able to rebuild two-thirds of their defence last year and win a Grey Cup, I am optimistic that they will be able to make the necessary changes, mostly along the defensive line, this off-season.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    At this point with not knowing who'll fill the holes I'd have to agree that the D is swiss cheese. What a rip off swiss cheese is by the way. Great cheese but come on those holes need to be filled. haha.

I looked at the roster yesterday and I'm not as upset as I was. I hate losing a talented Canadian like Foley but he wasn't crap like many are suggesting on here. The guy was adjusting to a new roll which is very difficult for a player who has always just pinned his ears back and rushed the qb. He'll have a great year in Sask.

Hopefully our growing pains aren't as long this year. Everyone was so fed up by all the stupid penalties we took last year while guys were learning the CFL game on the fly. My biggest worry is rebuilding the D year in and year out. Like I said yesterday, I wouldn't buy a jersey with a guys name and number on it.

I guess we all can look forward to the excitement of the next great Barker and Jones finds. Hopefully they've dug up another Marcus Ball or Pacino Horn. If they can show this to me again this year I'll be convinced that they are closing in on Wally Buono for first place in the finding quality CFL talent department.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Didn't McCune play the DL/LB hybrid in Calgary? I don't follow the Stamps well enough to know. I thought that he played the similar role that Foley had while he was with Jones in Calgary. Is it possible tat McCune could do that, and they find somebody else for MLB? (And I'm not a fan of Pottinger in there, but it does open up NI possibilities).

Maybe others can tell us what McCune's role was with the Stamps.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argo staff seems fully aware that they really just had a really good run to end the season and changes were to be made. (and also that GC winning teams always ... always get raided a bit)

Then again. It's not like this staff has proven itself to be able to build a winner ... so the jury is still out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    If I may use my Calgary example again, of the top 17 tacklers on their 2007 defense, only 4 of those players made the same list in 2008, which basically means the Stamps turned over about 3/4 of their defense in a Cup-winning season. Not to mention that in 2012 we replaced about half of our 2011 starters on both sides of the ball, so it can be done if the talent and coaching are there.

Or we could all panic and jump off a bridge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    If I may use my Calgary example again, of the top 17 tacklers on their 2007 defense, only 4 of those players made the same list in 2008, which basically means the Stamps turned over about 3/4 of their defense in a Cup-winning season. Not to mention that in 2012 we replaced about half of our 2011 starters on both sides of the ball, so it can be done if the talent and coaching are there.

I'm afraid of heights, so I will be patient and trust the staff.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not too worried about the defence because our offence is going to put up about 40 points per game. We could have Hamilton's D from last year and still win most of our games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:

Level

haha, that never happens on this board (including myself in there too), haha.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Funny how I'm confident in our GM and staff especially after last year. It took a while to get through the ups and downs of guys learning a new game but we clicked at the right time. I'm liking what I've been able to find on some of our new players. I really hope that Janzen Jackson works out because he's shown that he can be a huge impact on corner through highschool and college.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level

or walk the CN tower edgewalk....without the secure line attached.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    There are way to many holes to fill, I don't know if I realy buy into the Chris jones D? We had a lot of talent last year, this year their gone so now what? Is Chris jones gonna suit up himself, we lost foley canadian grey cup MVP!! Armstead, kuale etc!! Stupid moves I don't care who Chris jones is if you don't have the players you won't have the D!! Bottom line!! And yurichuk,seriously he's no prize don't care if he's from the gta!! Not signing foley will come back to haunt us!! STUPID ASS MOVE!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Nob View Post
    Didn't McCune play the DL/LB hybrid in Calgary? I don't follow the Stamps well enough to know. I thought that he played the similar role that Foley had while he was with Jones in Calgary. Is it possible tat McCune could do that, and they find somebody else for MLB? (And I'm not a fan of Pottinger in there, but it does open up NI possibilities).

Maybe others can tell us what McCune's role was with the Stamps.
    McCune played either at DE (moreso) or at MLB (injury replacement) when he was with the Stamps; he was more impressive as a DE IMO- perhaps the Argos could give him a look there; he is a big, tough dude who can hit and a CFL vet but he is not IMO - a top play-making CFL MLB (nowhere near a Sherritt, Bighill, Elimimian, or even Emery, Rey Williams level); like to see Yurichuck or Pottinger (or maybe even Tonye-Tonye), or a good new import FA get a real shot to play MLB for the Argos; but if McCune is competing too, and grades out better - go with him again - he was the MLB for the recent GC Champs D.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Well Rey Williams is available now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argoscflguy View Post
    There are way to many holes to fill, I don't know if I realy buy into the Chris jones D? We had a lot of talent last year, this year their gone so now what? Is Chris jones gonna suit up himself, we lost foley canadian grey cup MVP!! Armstead, kuale etc!! Stupid moves I don't care who Chris jones is if you don't have the players you won't have the D!! Bottom line!! And yurichuk,seriously he's no prize don't care if he's from the gta!! Not signing foley will come back to haunt us!! STUPID ASS MOVE!!
    The Argos had even more holes to fill in on defence last off-season.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Argos had even more holes to fill in on defence last off-season.
    Funny how our coaching staff has become stupid so quickly after the GC win...I think either Jonnie Dixon or Matt Black can replace McCullough who signed with Hamilton to be with Steinaur (you can't force a FA to stay people)..you are right Ravi, we may have a revamped D line at the most.

The Argos will record more than 9 wins in 2013.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I noticed that DE's Jeremy Geathers & Christopher Lyle have reappeared on the roster. Both late season additions who performed well in the 2012 season finale victory that ended the Ti-Cats season.