Reply to Thread

Thread: Argos Roster

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Argos Roster

We're up to 67 bodies on there as of today... including Belli, but i'm not sure if he intends to play after spending the first half of last season retired.

http://www.argonauts.ca/roster/index/team/7/sort/last

So we've room for one or maybe two more bodies (plus prior draft picks and a pair of this years picks)... you'd think that it would have to be a DT, right? Mr. Huntley is the only DT on there as of now that we know will be playing.

As i look over the roster, it looks there's plenty of coverage for all the other positions.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Good chance Cleon Laing will sign to compete at DT? - not sure why the delay on siging last year's draft picks like Laing, Tonye-Tonye - doubt they will be NFL drafted but I guess they could be waiting to see about a FA look? Luke Wilson may get an NFL look; the Stamps have already signed a couple of their NCAA NI draft picks of last year.

DT should get more TC competition for sure; also not sold on enough DE competition from that roster either; and O-Line is a big position group that could maybe use some more talent.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-08-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Good chance Cleon Laing will sign to compete at DT? - not sure why the delay on siging last year's draft picks like Laing, Tonye-Tonye - doubt they will be NFL drafted but I guess they could be waiting to see about a FA look? Luke Wilson may get an NFL look; the Stamps have already signed a couple of their NCAA NI draft picks of last year.

DT should get more TC competition for sure; also not sold on enough DE competition from that roster either; and O-Line is a big position group that could maybe use some more talent.
    there are 8 of them on there... i doubt there'll be much (if any) more than that
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    there are 8 of them on there... i doubt there'll be much (if any) more than that
    Lots of DEs, only two DTs listed (and one is Belli). Can any of the DEs play inside?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Lots of DEs, only two DTs listed (and one is Belli). Can any of the DEs play inside?

Armstead was a DE in college ball, and moved inside to play DT in the CFL; wouldn't surprise me to see one of those guys listed at DE get a look at DT (Adrain Awasome (?) who once played for the Giants - perhaps?).

Anyhow - no limit on positions for TC - more DT competition needed for sure; and the DEs on the roster are mighty unproven - Lee was impressive last year, and Paige-Moss got some time; like to see the Argos nab one of the DE prospects in what seems like a good crop - in the upcoming draft - could address DE at #8 and DT at #17 or vice versa perhaps - but a lot to be determined before draft day (list of E-Camp participants to come out next week i believe).
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-08-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    There are five more tryout camps scheduled this month, plus the draft, and the opportunity for many other roster changes. I suspect that we'll find some DTs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Anyhow - no limit on positions for TC - more DT competition needed for sure; and the DEs on the roster are mighty unproven - Lee was impressive last year, and Paige-Moss got some time
    OV, not sure what you mean about "no limit" but unfortunately there is a limit on the number of players who can be brought to camp, and Bluto's original point (I think) was that at 67 bodies, we are getting towards that limit already.

Paige-Moss, Lyle and Geathers all played in the season finale, and I am pretty sure P-M played at least one or two other games last year. Geathers had a sack and a forced fumble against Hamilton. All three of them are likely at or near the top of the depth chart at this point. Looking forward to seeing what they and the other newbies can do. I also think Zander Robinson may finally be ready to see some serious playing time on the line -- he started to work into the rotation late last season after playing only special teams most of his first two seasons.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    OV, not sure what you mean about "no limit" but unfortunately there is a limit on the number of players who can be brought to camp, and Bluto's original point (I think) was that at 67 bodies, we are getting towards that limit already.

Paige-Moss, Lyle and Geathers all played in the season finale, and I am pretty sure P-M played at least one or two other games last year. Geathers had a sack and a forced fumble against Hamilton. All three of them are likely at or near the top of the depth chart at this point. Looking forward to seeing what they and the other newbies can do. I also think Zander Robinson may finally be ready to see some serious playing time on the line -- he started to work into the rotation late last season after playing only special teams most of his first two seasons.
    that's precisely what i meant. i understood the TC roster to be 68 guys plus any unsigned non-imports and a maximum of 2 draft picks from this year... so, we're pretty much there already at 67 (or 66 pending what Adriano Belli does)
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    There are often cuts, well or just before TC - some vets who are no longer in the plan, or some of the new import FAs are found lacking or else get cold feet; so - maybe some more room yet; and definitely DT competition needed; and IMO, not at all convinced the DE group on the roster is going to reveal a strong starting DE or two, but maybe; still possible to add some new talent to compete though is my point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The Argos will be holding a mini-camp in late April at which time they will further evaluate some of their new signings so there will likely be additional moves made after that camp.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Not sure how the TC roster rules work with regards to draft picks? - are all draft picks reporting for the first time non-counters? - so would last year's picks who might show up (Laing, Tonye-Tonye) + any or all of this year's picks, be allowed to be added to the 68 bodies TC limit?

Right now of 66 guys on the roster - 42 are imports and only 24 NIs (and Belli could retire again; Wayne Smith has a lot of injury history/mileage Walter Spencer is getting on in age and only plays STs; not sure Kouame is ever going to get a shot to play at receiver ?); LOTS of new import talent has been added to compete in TC; but I guess if you only need 7 NIs to apply for playing time, 20 some to compete for the 20 NI roster spots is "radically", er, good enough? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Not sure how the TC roster rules work with regards to draft picks? - are all draft picks reporting for the first time non-counters? - so would last year's picks who might show up (Laing, Tonye-Tonye) + any or all of this year's picks, be allowed to be added to the 68 bodies TC limit?
    Those who have any CIS eligibility left do not count on the TC roster.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post

Well, this certainly rules out 1argoholic, and myself. We're both over forty. And probably Sir Paul Woods. Though he could be a great, historical coaching assistant, if he ever wanted to.

And then there's OV. I would love to see an Argo Team, run by OV Argo.

He'd have to work on the ratio, though. Piece of cake; get more Canadian Cheerleader Babes.

Ok, I'll shut up now; I need to shower, sober up, and prepare for a wicked Saturday Night.

Ka' Pla !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    You sure on that Ravi?

SO - if the Argos sign both Laing & Tonye-Tonye from last year's draft, and maybe add another NCAA NI draft pick who would report as well - as it stands now, there is not room to add those 3 given they're already at close to 68 for TC?

And pretty well all CIS draft picks have a year of eligibility left there (they are CFL draft eligible after 4 years, but can play 5 years of CIS ball), but some draft / eligibility exceptions happen at times i think (?).

New Fan
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Two of those DE's listed on the roster, Awasom and Horsley are listed at 6'5"/280 and 6'7"/298 respectively. That is DT size in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    You sure on that Ravi?

SO - if the Argos sign both Laing & Tonye-Tonye from last year's draft, and maybe add another NCAA NI draft pick who would report as well - as it stands now, there is not room to add those 3 given they're already at close to 68 for TC?

And pretty well all CIS draft picks have a year of eligibility left there (they are CFL draft eligible after 4 years, but can play 5 years of CIS ball), but some draft / eligibility exceptions happen at times i think (?).
    I am pretty sure, OV. Players like Tonye-Tonye and Laing do count against the roster in camp because they have no college eligibility remaining. There will be more deletions from the roster to make room for additions such as the two aforementioned players and others.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    http://argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/5745

Argos sign former Lion WR Derrick Williams today

crop_19323534923.jpg

That brings us to 68 players on the roster right now.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    http://argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/5745

Argos sign former Lion WR Derrick Williams today.
    I know he was very sought after coming out of high school. His Penn State numbers weren't eye-popping, but I think the Argos were intrigued with his versatility (receiving, rushing, return game).

Should be some interesting competition among the receivers at camp.