Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RoRoYoBoat View Post
    No its not. The sport is extremely young in North America but if you look up fightmetrics. Some fighters take over 150 significant shots to the head in a fight.

This might convince you.

this is what everyone in MMA describes as "The most explosive knockout of all time"
    because nothing like it has really happened in MMA before, usually knock outs last 1-10 seconds
    But the guy in the video was fine a few hours after the kick and doctors said he had only a mild concussion.

Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Civil liberties?
    Maybe corporations are evil but I don't think they are evil enough to include clauses that prevent their workers from playing hopscotch with their daughters because they could break their ankles.
    Last edited by marcwagz; 03-22-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    What about hopping after drinking plenty of scotch? Don't ask me how my silly mind works and why I feel the need to post. haha.

Boatman
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    [QUOTE=marcwagz;27343]this is what everyone in MMA describes as "The most explosive knockout of all time"
    because nothing like it has really happened in MMA before, usually knock outs last 1-10 seconds
    But the guy in the video was fine a few hours after the kick and doctors said he had only a mild concussion.

That's Dana White, he's a fight promoter, he has a penchant for hyperbole. I've seen a half a dozen knockouts as mean as that one in the last couple months in the sport. As far as a mild concussion well there is no science right now that establishes the long term damage with the severity of the initial symptoms. All I can tell you is that.

The most severe concussion I've seen lately was Struve two weeks ago at UFC on Fuel.

That's his jaw getting broken right there. Count the blows to the head there if you want.

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/im...650&h=440&q=75

Here are two must reads if your interested in the subject.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-should-retire
    http://deadspin.com/5880477/how-to-s...n-an-mma-fight Sample from a great book by Matthew Polly

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    You can get injured in football, and you can get a concussion -- happens all too often, in fact. But the difference, IMO, is that in football the intent is something other than injuring the opponent and/or knocking him out. MMA is built on aggressive, hard shots of the fist and the leg to the head. It's amazing to me that this "sport" hasn't yet run afoul of regulators.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Paul you worded it well. I just can't watch it anymore. Horrible watching a guy getting his head pounded,elbowed, kicked you name it. In this day and age where so much more is known about brain damage and guys are lining up to take shots to the mellon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Ron do you honestly think that MMA is safer than football? Guys take punches and kicks to the head in training for MMA. Then the same in actual fights with no helmet. Like I said I used to be a fan of the UFC until it became obvious with the turnover in fighters that this wasn't a sport I was interested in. I can just see a bunch of brain damaged califlowered eared guys entering assisted care facilities in their 50's and 60's. Way more than old football players. The only one who benefits from UFC is Dana White who's ling his pockets with cash.
    Based on those studying concussions ... football is by far the worst. Naturally fans of "insert sport here" will be enabling to the sport they like and slam everyone else.
    Last edited by Ron; 03-23-2013 at 03:09 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Based on those studying concussions ... football is by far the worst.
    Obviously there are concussions in football -- far too many, as I said above -- but what is the evidence for that statement? Has there been a study of concussion rates/probabilities in all contact sports, including MMA? I'd like to see data comparing the probability of being concussed playing football vs. being kicked and punched in the head.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Obviously there are concussions in football -- far too many, as I said above -- but what is the evidence for that statement? Has there been a study of concussion rates/probabilities in all contact sports, including MMA? I'd like to see data comparing the probability of being concussed playing football vs. being kicked and punched in the head.
    individual athlete safety is a much larger concern in MMA than in football. In MMA if you get knocked down or even look like you aren't defending yourself, the match is over. In football you get tackled and take a shot to the head you shake it off and get back in the next play. Boxing you get 10 seconds before you lose! If you watch MMA most people who get knocked out are more than able to get up 5 seconds after their knockout but they still lose.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    individual athlete safety is a much larger concern in MMA than in football. In MMA if you get knocked down or even look like you aren't defending yourself, the match is over.
    Though I agree with the above to a point, I have seen many a fight in which an extra blow was dealt before the official had a chance to do anything about it...and after the fighter couldn't defend himself...and that's just from watching hi-lights, because frankly, MMA bores me and try as I have, I can't sit through an entire show..

But like I said earlier, I'm not concerned about Owens. There are just as many head hunters playing football, as there are MMA fighters.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    individual athlete safety is a much larger concern in MMA than in football. In MMA if you get knocked down or even look like you aren't defending yourself, the match is over. In football you get tackled and take a shot to the head you shake it off and get back in the next play. Boxing you get 10 seconds before you lose! If you watch MMA most people who get knocked out are more than able to get up 5 seconds after their knockout but they still lose.
    "Most people who get knocked out" is a very telling statement. How many people get "knocked out" -- which presumably means knocked unconscious, for any length of time -- in football vs. MMA? In MMA, hitting someone in the head is essentially the objective. I suppose it's possible to win without ever trying to hit your opponent in the head, but I bet it almost never happens. And in MMA, it is quite common to see people hit so hard in the head that they are rendered unconscious, dazed, etc. The latter happens in football, but I would venture to say it happens at a far, far lower rate than it does in MMA. And football is trying to eliminate shots to the head and to improve head protection. MMA is doing neither of those.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I had a great long post that screwed up and didn't post and then I lost it. At this point I'll just say that per capita I'm sure MMA fighters have way more risk as far as head injuries. There are way less fighters than hockey or football players in the world but I'd say most would develop brain damage right from training and actualy fights. The whole basis of MMA is to hurt your foe. No better way than to bash their heads with elbows, fists, knees or kicks. Enough said. It's just common sense.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    MMA is still a young sport. If the sport continues the way it's going, wait to see what some of these fighters look like in 20 years. As more and more study's come out and we all start seeing the effects on these fighters, I agree with Paul, that pdown the road, regulators and other types in sports authorities will ban or change the rules of engagement regarding MMA

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level
    I suppose it's possible to win without ever trying to hit your opponent in the head, but I bet it almost never happens.
    on the contrary, among the BJJ and grappling artists it happens incredibly often. Why hit someone in the head, the head is a very durable object, when you can take them down and make them quit by twisting your arm?
    A lot of fighters fight like that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    on the contrary, among the BJJ and grappling artists it happens incredibly often. Why hit someone in the head, the head is a very durable object, when you can take them down and make them quit by twisting your arm?
    A lot of fighters fight like that.
    I have no idea what BJJ stands for, and I haven't watched much MMA, but what I have seen includes a lot of shots to the head. I'm sure you're right that some guys take other approaches, but I still believe there are tons of attempts to take direct shots at the head, and therefore tons of opportunities for concussions or lesser blows that also do damage to the brain.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    No doubt that the sport is going to damage brains. You don't even need to get kicked or punched in the head. When they go to the the ground some of those throws bash heads on the mat pretty hard. Time will tell how many fighters end up with brain issues in the future and my bet is that it'll be way more than not. It won't be long before Dana White and his brand get sued by a retired fighter who's suffered serious brain damage. We're seeing it with former NFL players now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    We're seeing it with former NFL players now.
    We definitely are seeing it with former NFL players, and even if some of them are looking compensation without having any symptoms, the numbers are still staggering.

"There are roughly 12,000 living former NFL players. About 4,000 of them are currently suing the league over head injuries, according to a Washington Times database."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...e-for-everyone

According to a Washington Times database, more than 4,000 retired players have sued the NFL over head injuries suffered during their playing careers. Below is a breakdown by position and seasons played.
    By position By seasons played
    DB
    0-3
    LB
    3-6
    OL
    6-9
    RB
    9-12
    DL
    12-15
    WR
    15-18
    Undeclared
    18-21
    TE
    QB
    P
    K
    ยป Source Washington Times

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Those numbers are huge and no wonder that the NFL keeps wanting to look at making the game more like flag football. The thing is that the NFL has massive guys pounding into each other. They can try and make it safer but short of making it touch football it isn't going to happen. In the old days guys wouldn't work out year round and now they've started that even before being of highshool age. These young guys are massive who run like the wind and hit like trucks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Back to the orginal point....

Chad Owens ..IMO.. is showing a lack of RESPECT to his team, teammates,fans, and the CFL...by putting himself at RISK.

This is a stupid SELFISH move by Owens....

I hope he gets his NOSE broken on the first hit, and his face bloodied, i want him UN-Injured...but in LOTS of pain.

Then hopefully he NEVER pusues it further....IF Owens wants to carry on in MMA....TRADE HIM..and get a player who is fully committed to being and Argonaut.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Back to the orginal point....

Chad Owens ..IMO.. is showing a lack of RESPECT to his team, teammates,fans, and the CFL...by putting himself at RISK.

This is a stupid SELFISH move by Owens....

I hope he gets his NOSE broken on the first hit, and his face bloodied, i want him UN-Injured...but in LOTS of pain.

Then hopefully he NEVER pusues it further....IF Owens wants to carry on in MMA....TRADE HIM..and get a player who is fully committed to being and Argonaut.
    Again, I have no problem with it.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I know I posted the article and yes I think MMA is a risky sport but I thinl thos being blown out of proportion especially is this a charity fight.