Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Rogers' anti-CFL agenda

Rogers' anti-CFL agenda certainly seems to be confirmed in this Globe and Mail column by Bruce Dowbiggin: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle10660706/

I guess that it isn't much of a stretch to say that Rogers' media outlets in Toronto aren't going to have much to say about the Argos. This part of the column is especially striking:

"One Sportsnet regional reporter told us he filed just six times the entire CFL regular season on the team in his beat– and was not criticized."
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Yep, the CFL is Canada's best kept secret...despite having millions of fans it plys it's craft in virtual anonimity in the media, outside of TSN and the Toronto Sun. Most of the other media outlets rarely cover the CFL, it's like it doesn't exist when compared to the NFL, Blue Jays, NBA or even soccer news.

It's pretty crummy what Rogers (and its influence) has been doing to marginalize and diminish the CFL. It can't just be greed...the alure of the big NFL dollars with only the piddly Argos standing in their way? Would they try to destroy a Canadian institution to achieve that...or do they just resent being shutout of the CFL's success? I don't see TSN shunning the Jays because they're owned by a hated competitor?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Yep, the CFL is Canada's best kept secret...despite having millions of fans it plys it's craft in virtual anonimity in the media, outside of TSN and the Toronto Sun. Most of the other media outlets rarely cover the CFL, it's like it doesn't exist when compared to the NFL, Blue Jays, NBA or even soccer news.

It's pretty crummy what Rogers (and its influence) has been doing to marginalize and diminish the CFL. It can't just be greed...the alure of the big NFL dollars with only the piddly Argos standing in their way? Would they try to destroy a Canadian institution to achieve that...or do they just resent being shutout of the CFL's success? I don't see TSN shunning the Jays because they're owned by a hated competitor?

There are at least two words for it :

Rogers Sucks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    I think I've said the same thing here before. If this media war of Bell Media Vs Rogers Media is infact a conscience effort by one or both parties it really should hurt the public.

Even David Naylor seemed to take a jab at "Rogers" asking when was the last time buying a team worked

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    I think I've said the same thing here before. If this media war of Bell Media Vs Rogers Media is infact a conscience effort by one or both parties it really should hurt the public.

Even David Naylor seemed to take a jab at "Rogers" asking when was the last time buying a team worked
    The Fan radio in T.O is just so bias against the CFL now, it's sick. You got Brady who states that he does not believe the Argos get higher TV ratings then the Raptors, who just refuses to accept the numbers. MaCown who is a fan of the CFL, but since the Argos sign their deal with TSN radio, refuses to talk about them. Yet does not do this for any other league that is on TSN. To NOT talk about the new TV deal and what that does for the future of the league is just wrong

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    The Fan radio in T.O is just so bias against the CFL now, it's sick. You got Brady who states that he does not believe the Argos get higher TV ratings then the Raptors, who just refuses to accept the numbers. MaCown who is a fan of the CFL, but since the Argos sign their deal with TSN radio, refuses to talk about them. Yet does not do this for any other league that is on TSN. To NOT talk about the new TV deal and what that does for the future of the league is just wrong
    Exactly. TSN may not own the Blue Jays but they still have a dedicated reporter for them and probably have a feature on that team daily. Rogers, on the other hand, just pretends that the CFL doesn't even exist. It is truly incredible that they can do that.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    screw rogers, that is all

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    T. MaCown who is a fan of the CFL
    I've heard a lot of people say this over the years, which is IMO proof of McCown's great skill as a broadcaster. From where I sit, McCown never gave a crap about the CFL. All those years people thought he was a supporter of the league, all he was doing was doing his job of being a contrarian. Knowing that the majority of his audience were/are NFL supporters, all he was doing was making good talk radio by taking the other side. I listened to him for many years, and he never ever showed any deep knowledge of CFL or Argo personnel, outside of the big stars. With him, it was always generalities, CFL is great, blah blah blah. Looks like he fooled a lot of people.

The one exception was during the Pelley era, when he was an "insider" with C&S, he lavished more detailed attention on the Argonauts, but only because he benefited personally from the prestige of being on the Cup committee and who knows what else. Now that it benefits him to downgrade the Argos and the CFL, he can finally let his true colours show.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I've heard a lot of people say this over the years, which is IMO proof of McCown's great skill as a broadcaster. From where I sit, McCown never gave a crap about the CFL. All those years people thought he was a supporter of the league, all he was doing was doing his job of being a contrarian. Knowing that the majority of his audience were/are NFL supporters, all he was doing was making good talk radio by taking the other side. I listened to him for many years, and he never ever showed any deep knowledge of CFL or Argo personnel, outside of the big stars. With him, it was always generalities, CFL is great, blah blah blah. Looks like he fooled a lot of people.

The one exception was during the Pelley era, when he was an "insider" with C&S, he lavished more detailed attention on the Argonauts, but only because he benefited personally from the prestige of being on the Cup committee and who knows what else. Now that it benefits him to downgrade the Argos and the CFL, he can finally let his true colours show.
    I remember McCown appearing on an old TSN show back in the 1980s - the one with John Wells, Bill Watters, Paul Beeston and Jack O'Donahue - and saying a number of anti-CFL things (i.e., how the league is bush- or minor-league and how the NFL is so much better). That is why I was initially surprised when he was interested in a CFL franchise for Las Vegas in the mid 1990s and later appeared to be much more friendly towards the league. He has now gone the other way again which lends credence to what you are saying, Rich.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think Rich has nailed it -- McCown has mostly made his career by being a contrarian. He has fallen right into line with the Rogers hype over the Blue Jays so far this year, tho -- what will he do if they crap the bed all season?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I remember McCown appearing on an old TSN show back in the 1980s - the one with John Wells, Bill Watters, Paul Beeston and Jack O'Donahue - and saying a number of anti-CFL things (i.e., how the league is bush- or minor-league and how the NFL is so much better). That is why I was initially surprised when he was interested in a CFL franchise for Las Vegas in the mid 1990s and later appeared to be much more friendly towards the league. He has now gone the other way again which lends credence to what you are saying, Rich.

I really wish "Bobcat" would have invested heavily in the Las Vegas Posse....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Rich, you are bang on here. I've been saying the same thing. Ever since his buddies C&S got exposed for the phonies that they are, McCowan has fallen off the bandwagon.

I personally haven't listened to the Fan since TSN radio started up with the occassional exception of Tim and Sid because I really don't like Hayes. He's another believe the hype big league American sports guy that really belongs on the Fan. Of course, he and Brady came from perhaps the worst station on the dial in Talk640.
    Last edited by AngeloV; 04-04-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I just hate the way the Blue Jays and Rogers totally ignore the Argos and would NEVER EVER allow any Argo player to shine in a Blue Jay spotlight.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    would NEVER EVER allow any Argo player to shine in a Blue Jay spotlight.
    Hey at least Kackert threw out the first pitch last night. He even wore an Argos hat with his Jays jersey, 2-for-1 deal but yes I do know what you mean.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I just hate the way the Blue Jays and Rogers totally ignore the Argos and would NEVER EVER allow any Argo player to shine in a Blue Jay spotlight.
    For the record, Chad Kackert was allowed (hell, he might even have been invited!) to throw out the first pitch at last night's Blue Jays game. Not as prime a spot as Geddy Lee (seriously, that's who got to throw out the first pitch in the season opener?) but still a bit of a shine in a BJ spotlight.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    For the record, Chad Kackert was allowed (hell, he might even have been invited!) to throw out the first pitch at last night's Blue Jays game. Not as prime a spot as Geddy Lee (seriously, that's who got to throw out the first pitch in the season opener?) but still a bit of a shine in a BJ spotlight.
    Yes, that's who they got to throw out the first pitch in the season opener.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    In addition, All concessions at Argos games go to Rogers. Don't buy anything when your at the game

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    who needs them. Just let the continued existence of the league speak for itself. These networks are not going to do us any favours so who needs them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    This is really not news for those of us living inthe city and watching this for many years.
    The anti CFL media is huge, with Rogers at the forefront.