Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Handicapping the receiver spots

Looks to be one of the most interesting position battles at training camp this season.

Gentlemen (and ladies), place your bets.

Out of...

SB: Owens, Durie, Barnes, Rempel

WR: Inman, Watt, Bryant, Bradwell, Feoli-Gudino, Iglesias, Williams, Hurst, Adams, Beiler, Chiles,

Who starts? Who stays? Who gets PR'd? Who get thanked for their interest?

http://www.argonauts.ca/roster/index/team/7/sort/last
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Lots of depth altho a fair bit of it is somewhat unproven. I think Owens, Durie and Inman are just about locks to start, and Bradwell and Rempel (for their work on special teams) are just about locks to be on the game roster.

Among the other non-imports, have to think Watt is the most secure and has a very good shot at starting again. I'd love to see F-G come into his own this season and earn a roster spot as I think he has good upside. Hurst is a longshot, IMO.

Among the other imports, I'd say the most likely to stick (in approximate order) are Bryant, Iglesias, Barnes and Williams. The other guys are a mystery.

I think they will typically dress eight receivers (four imports plus Durie-Rempel-Watt-Bradwell) and will stash three to four more (including one or two NIs) between the 46-man roster, injured reserve and the PR.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    All I can say is for the new guys they's better not drop anything. A slip of a sandwich and you could be gone.

At the time I was very interested in seeing Beiler just from what I read. You'd have to think that Williams would get a real good look because you can't coach size and he's got a ton of that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Seems like quite the deep and talented group at receiver for TC competition !

I guess Owens and Durie are locks at slotback; Barnes is more a slotback but IMO was a disappointment last year after a very good season with the Esks; I wonder if one of the other wide-out types could make the transition to play slotback? - Inman maybe? Williams is an intriguing signing IMO - huge target and has led an NFL team in receiving, but might find it tough to understand and be effective at slotback right away? Bryant is a proven CFL vet as a pure fast wide-out type; Iglesias has the nice resume too. A lot may depend on the possibility of going with 4 starting import receivers in the 5 pack? - quite do-able (depending on other NIs being given a real shot to play some other positions - D-Line, MLB or Matt Black in the D-backfield) - especially if 3 of the import guys have outstanding camps to go with Owens. If it has to be 2 NI starters in the receiving corps (to get the minimum 7 NI starters) - I guess it would be Watt at WR, but I believe Feoli-Gudino could easily challenge him for a job; Bradwell as a back-up receiver (could play slot or WR) - but, IMO could surprise with a real shot to play lots at slotback.

Not sure an NFL vet like Williams or CFL vets like Barnes (probably a pretty hefty CFL contract) or Romby Bryant are going to be PR candidates or stashed on IR to start the season? - some talented receivers are going to have to be cut i think - imports and/or NIs.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 05-24-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    i think that paul and OV pretty much have the betting odds right.

it's a talented group, perhaps the most talented we've had in many years...

and i'd have to think that Barnes might be vulnerable to a challenge. i don't know much about Iglesias, Hurst, Adams, Beiler or Chiles, but i doubt that Barker & co. bought them lane tickets because they're fun to hang out with. and we all know that Williams is capable of playing at a high level if he dedicates himself.

#MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Chiles is a guy that I am interested in seeing given that Rocket Ismail is a mentor of his.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Lots of depth altho a fair bit of it is somewhat unproven. I think Owens, Durie and Inman are just about locks to start, and Bradwell and Rempel (for their work on special teams) are just about locks to be on the game roster.

Among the other non-imports, have to think Watt is the most secure and has a very good shot at starting again. I'd love to see F-G come into his own this season and earn a roster spot as I think he has good upside. Hurst is a longshot, IMO.

Among the other imports, I'd say the most likely to stick (in approximate order) are Bryant, Iglesias, Barnes and Williams. The other guys are a mystery.

I think they will typically dress eight receivers (four imports plus Durie-Rempel-Watt-Bradwell) and will stash three to four more (including one or two NIs) between the 46-man roster, injured reserve and the PR.

Nice summary. Some talented guys are going to get cut.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    This looks like a good group of receivers to bring into camp. I must say that Bryant, Barnes, JFG and Hurst are on the bubble, it'll be their job to lose. For the new guys it'll depend if any of them can play on specials unless they blow their competition away. I am interested to see in what kind of shape Williams will be in.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I am interested to see in what kind of shape Williams will be in.
    He was at the mini camp in Florida. Considering he was signed after that camp, I would guess he must be in good shape.
    It's us vs the rest of the country