Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Not surprisingly, I liked the one-episode show. Was surprised to recently hear that Sun News cancelled it, but in retrospect, the Fords said what they wanted to say. Next week's episode would have been redundant, unless some new "revelations" came out. But I've read they (the Fords) will be guests on other Sun News shows.

Of course, Ezra Levant's show "The Source" (on Sun News) is the best. And no doubt one or two people on this planet, may have recorded the Fords' show, so it should probably be available somewhere on the internet.
    Sorry pal - Sun News and other such ilk - with it's little establishment pukes, puppets & apologists like Lavant & that arsehole Brian Lilly - are again - blights on our society today.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Sorry pal - Sun News and other such ilk - with it's little establishment pukes, puppets & apologists like Levant & that arsehole Brian Lilley - are again - blights on our society today.

In your opinion, Sir.

But that's okay; we are not supposed to, take each other seriously:

Otherwise we'd be on the same side....

Ka' Pla !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Anyway, I've got to crash soon --- up at 5am tomorrow to run my Corporation.

I have time to absorb (and hopefully reply to) one more broadside from you, Sir.

Otherwise, I look forward to making your (avatarish) acquaintance in the near future.

Ka' Pla !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    [ ... ] Maybe Stevie-boy Harper can name Mr. Ford to the Senate now? [ ... ]

Much too early for such considerations; besides, Senator Ford may prove to be too disruptive for such a staid Chamber. Maybe later. Although this might be a brilliant stroke by PM Harper; it will increase Harper's chances of being PM for the foreseeable future --- getting Ford on-side, and in the Senate. Or at least for the next 8 years.

(Ok. Really gotta crash now.)

Ka' Pla !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Federal cabinet minster calls for Ford to resign:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rob-...says-1.2432492

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

By the way, for any new members/posters, and guests/visitors viewing this Forum,

I just want to say that we're just having a small family squabble, as far as I'm concerned,

which happens to be about politics.

We are all Argo fans !

And we've all managed to remain polite to each other, as someone else observed previously.

Some of us like to have a few wobbly pops after work (and sometimes more,

if we're not working the next weekday), but hopefully we've still managed to retain respect,

for each other.

Ka' Pla !

Which means, Victory !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    So Rob Ford's personal trainer has a criminal conviction for trafficking steroids: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11...ing-in-canada/

Does Ford know anyone outside of the criminal underworld?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    So Rob Ford's personal trainer has a criminal conviction for trafficking steroids: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/11...ing-in-canada/

Klingons (ok, part-Klingons) on steroids?

Isn't that redundant ?

Ka' Pla !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    In response to Ford's claim on Monday that he was Kuwait and City Council was Saddam Hussein, someone had fun with the Wikipedia page for Kuwait (see last line):

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post

Yes. He knows the people. And the people now certainly know him.

The voters will decide.

From a purely philosophical standpoint, it seems that the world swings dramatically from one point to another, where subtleties don't make the headline cut, since the mental finesse required to appreciate said subtleties, is beyond the scope and abilities of the average human being. It would be ironic if the next wave of Conservatism sweeping the planet, was the exaggerated response to the present greatest (if sometimes boring -- even by his own admission) leader of the Free World, Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and it would come from the ultimate Party Animal, presently the greatest celebrity on the face of the planet, Mayor Rob Ford.

This was the humour involved in a previous post above, where I suggested that PM Harper would be wise to put Ford into the Senate. Mayor Ford has suggested in some interview recently, that he has ambitions of being Prime Minister of Canada one day. Heck, he could probably knock off Obama too, if he wanted to. With Ford in the Senate, PM Harper could at least relax and breathe easy for a few years, knowing Ford would probably not challenge him right away, for the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada.

And no, I haven't had a puff yet (weed); but will soon.

Cheers !

And,

Ka' Pla !
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-20-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Sperring

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    In response to Ford's claim on Monday that he was Kuwait and City Council was Saddam Hussein, someone had fun with the Wikipedia page for Kuwait (see last line):

That's hilarious !

I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet, but I believe some links/images are not able to be viewed, unless one is a member of this Forum. I mean, whenever I visit this Forum without logging in, I can't see the JPEG images stuff. Perhaps there is a way to remedy that.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Yes, I know President Obama's two terms are up, but my point is that Ford could probably knock off the next Obama, or the next Nixon. Actually, an argument could be made, that Ford is, the next Nixon.

Ka' Pla !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Advice: stop doing this!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Yes, I know President Obama's two terms are up, but my point is that Ford could probably knock off the next Obama, or the next Nixon. Actually, an argument could be made, that Ford is, the next Nixon.

Ka' Pla !
    You of course mean Richard ("I am not a crook") Nixon, not Robert Nixon, the best premier Ontario never had.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    You of course mean Richard ("I am not a crook") Nixon, not Robert Nixon, the best premier Ontario never had.

You are correct, Sir.

Richard "Tricky Dick" Nixon. The one and only.

At this point in the rise of Mayor Rob Ford's meteoric stardom and career,

only a young Bill Clinton, or better yet, a President Bill "Slick Willy" Clinton in his prime,

may have had a shot at stopping Mayor Rob Ford, the future Prime Minister of Canada.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re-Elect Rob Ford.

Toronto's first , Klingon Mayor.

Ka' Pla !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

For those who missed it previously :

And it has just occurred to me, that Mayor Rob Ford may be part Klingon.

This would explain everything.

No, seriously. It would.

Not excusing his eff-ups, but I can certainly understand.

Ka' Pla !

Midnight

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I have no idea what a klingdon is I just know Rob Ford is part nothing but he's all a$$hole. If this buttplug was my friend I'd be calling him former friend at this point but I do have morals. Life isn't about some dirtbag mayor saving me $10 bucks on my tax bill.
    Ford fanatics can't see the forest through the trees. Saving a few tax dollars at the expense of turning thousands of tourists off who'll spent their hard earned money in another city. If I was planning a convention I'd be heading anywhere but Crack Mayor Town.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Reminiscing about Slick Willy, and Tricky Dick, I find it amusing that apparently no one has come up with a nick-name for Rob Ford. I mean, between Letterman and Leno and the others, you'd think some one would have come up with one. So love him or hate him, we here have a chance to down in history, as the ones who came up with a cool (or uncool) nickname for Ford. Admittedly, I can't think of a good one yet, but will try.

One can always suggest names like 'Dick', or 'Slob', but to get the attention of the World, we need something special. The best I can think of is 'Munchmeister', but that's still kinda lame.

We need some good ones! Have at 'er, boys and girls!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Advice: stop doing this!

I agree. Former Offensive Linemen were not born to throw a Football.

They usually fall down when they try, and head straight for the Cheesecake (or what's left of it).

BTW, that clip is hilarious!

Perhaps this was one of Ford's football injuries. Though I'm not making excuses for him.

And while we're on the topic of Football injuries, I'd like to shamelessly invite people to visit the "Brag about your Football injuries, here" thread, which is also in this "Sociable" section.

Ka' Pla !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Cool

Here's a column by Gerry Nicholls, who can be surprisingly funny, for a Conservative:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion...571/story.html

Actually, he's one of my favourite writers.

I will re-print his column here, for those who may not be able to access it online:

Fear not the Fordian hordes

By Gerry Nicholls, Ottawa Citizen November 24, 2013 12:01 PM

Tweet

• Story
    • Photos ( 1 )

Aaron Lynett/postmedia news

Photograph by: Aaron Lynett , National Post

The recent outrageous antics of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford have forced Canada’s intellectual elite to ponder the political force known as “populism.”

And what they’ve discovered in this pondering exercise scares the heck out of them.

Postmedia columnist Andrew Coyne, for instance, recently concluded that Ford’s brand of populism was the “the same aggressively dumb, harshly divisive message that has become the playbook for the right generally in this country, in all its contempt for learning, its disdain for facts, its disrespect of convention and debasing of standards.”

Meanwhile, his colleague Michael Den Tandt warned of “Ford’s visceral appeal to the under-educated working poor in the city proper” and noted ominously, “add to that the 905 belt’s long-standing, benign neglect of any issue other than the tax bill. It’s a recipe for political influence that extends far beyond the mayoralty of Toronto.”

Get the picture?

Coyne, Den Tandt and other defenders of urban civilization are terrified at what the emergence of populism, with its Attila the Hun-style messaging, means for the future.

Before long, the teeming hordes of uneducated, bible-thumping, Tim Hortons coffee drinking, non-CBC-watching, suburbanite barbarians, whipped up into a frenzy by the demagogic rantings of Ford and Prime Minister Stephen Harper, will be unleashed to ransack libraries, loot universities and worse — block city bike lanes with their SUVs.

A shocking scenario to be sure, but before anybody panics and spills their lattes, I should point out that populism is by no means a new phenomenon nor is it always associated with the “right.”

In fact, populism, which is a political tactic of appealing to a voter’s sense of resentment, was around back in the days of the ancient Roman Republic.

Roman politicians who sought the votes of the economically disenfranchised mobs were called populares, which means favouring the people. Typically aristocrats, these populares affected lower-class accents and promised things such as cheaper bread, land redistribution and expanded citizenship.

Their political opponents, by the way, were called optimates, which roughly translates as “urban downtown elites.”

At any rate, if you flash forward to today’s Canada, you will find that populism is often employed by “progressives.”

Indeed, anytime a progressive politician echoes the “Occupy movement” and rails against the economic dominance of the famed “one per cent,” they are appealing to a populist sentiment.

We even saw populism rear its head in the by-election in the genteel, urban and sophisticated riding of Toronto Centre. The NDP has accused the Liberal candidate of shipping jobs outside the country, while Liberals have pointed out the NDP candidate lived in a lavish home.

Yup folks, that’s populism.

And yes, both Ford and Harper used populist tactics. But their messages weren’t “dumb” or “harshly divisive,” nor did they promote a “contempt for learning” or a “disdain for facts.”

For his part, Ford’s message of “stopping the gravy train” appealed to voters who were fed up with establishment politicians who put the needs of special interest groups and public sector unions ahead of everybody else.

As for Harper, he promised to keep our streets safe from criminals and our economy safe from former Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff, who was portrayed as an out of touch academic. And today he talks about protecting consumers from cable companies.

My point is, you can disagree with Ford and Harper’s messages, but they are not exactly “grab your torches and pitchforks” sort of appeals. And the people who supported Ford and Harper are not uneducated rabble, but Canadians who care about protecting and enhancing their quality of life and who want governments to exercise fiscal responsibility.

So relax everybody, Ford’s recent behaviour is not a sign of a coming apocalypse. There are no barbarians at the gates; civilization is safe.

Gerry Nicholls is a communications consultant. gerrynicholls.com

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-24-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Edited for paragraph spacing.