Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Ray extension talks underway

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/28...ract-extension

TORONTO - Nothing is imminent and nothing is ever taken for granted, but the Argonauts have at least begun a dialogue in the hopes of keeping Ricky Ray in Double Blue beyond this season.Given his youth and ability to make plays with his feet, Travis Lulay remains the CFL’s most dynamic quarterback.

But when it comes to having a presence in the pocket and inside the locker room, Ray ranks in the same class as Montreal’s Anthony Calvillo.
    Without Ray, there’s no chance the Argos win last year’s Grey Cup.
    Without Ray’s ability to deliver the football on time and in the perfect spot that makes every throw easy to catch, no way Chad Owens emerges as the league’s leading receiver and most outstanding player.

As the Argos’ passing game evolved last season, it was Ray’s calming presence that helped the team’s offensive line find its identity at the absolute right moment.
    With rookies and quarterbacks reporting to the team’s Mississauga practice facility on Wednesday, there’s no urgency to get a long-term deal, but having Ray in the fold for at least the next three years has to be a priority.

Only time will tell whether the Argos can successfully defend their CFL championship, but there’s stability at the top levels of the football organization in the form of GM Jim Barker, head coach Scott Milanovich and assistant GM/defensive co-ordinator Chris Jones.
    Ray is the next piece that needs to be addressed.

Money is always an issue in a league such as the CFL, where every penny must be accounted for, but the Argos did quite well when they acquired Ray’s hefty contract from Edmonton last off-season.
    In terms of character players, Ray is near the top of any list.
    In terms of indispensable players in Argoland, Ray is at the top of the list.

More than pursuing a deal that benefits all parties involved, the Argos are trying to develop a quarterback rotation that will ultimately see someone succeed Ray, whenever that time arrives.
    The Argos have had to deal with a myriad issues and problems over the years, from finding a full-time practice facility to developing a quarterback from within.
    There’s actually a chance the latter may be achieved, sooner rather than later.
    In Trevor Harris and Zach Collaros, the Argos have two young arms who now have one year under their belt.

Both joined Ray at the team’s mini-camp in Florida last month and the Argos were encouraged at what they saw.
    “They were more comfortable in the offence,’’ said Barker. “Both Trevor and Zach read things much easier this year. Both are ready to compete and it’s going to be a great competition for the No. 2 and No. 3 spots.”
    Unless something dramatically goes awry, Ray will be the incumbent.

There’s no proven CFL veteran under contract, a role Jarious Jackson filled last season.
    The battle for the backup position and third-stringer pits Harris, Collaros and Mitchell Gale, who beat out former Winnipeg starter and backup Alex Brink.
    Gale also attended the Argos’ session in Florida and later auditioned for the St. Louis Rams in the NFL.
    In a nutshell, the Double Blue had to decide between Gale and Brink.

“I didn’t like having to do it, but you have to do what you have to do,’’ said Barker.
    What impressed Barker was Gale’s touch on deep balls, his mobility and presence.
    The CFL is such a fluid business that Brink may one day resurface.
    “Alex has at least been introduced to our system,’’ said Barker.
    “And he’s a veteran guy. It would be wrong to say he’s never going to be back. You never know. This league is small.”
    Last edited by bluto; 05-29-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    let's hope so - ricky has at least a few good years left in him and Harris and Collaros will be nipping at his heels over the next few years too (not a bad thing)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos have to take care of Ricky Ray, who took a salary reduction in Edm before he was traded (reportedly from $515k to $430k, although some reports say his base salary is only $375k).

Travis Lulay signed for "in excess of $475k per season" in the offseason...so Ray and Cavillo won't be too far behind.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Travis Lulay signed for "in excess of $475k per season" in the offseason...so Ray and Cavillo won't be too far behind.
    This is one reason I hope the league puts a "maximum salary" number (say $500K) in the next CBA, so the QBs don't get all of the windfall from what likely will be a moderate increase in the cap number.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    This is one reason I hope the league puts a "maximum salary" number (say $500K) in the next CBA, so the QBs don't get all of the windfall from what likely will be a moderate increase in the cap number.
    Sounds reasonable, spreading the money around a little can only increase the talent level for the whole league. These guys sacrifice themselves for relatively little cash. Probably why most of us still relate to CFL players!!

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Great news. Wish it were longer but at least we have him for three more years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Great news. Now if we can only get a decent and permanent practice facility with team offices. Wow, could you imagine an indoor/outdoor place with an office building portion and a year round store for merchandise. Wake me up I am dreaming.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Happy about this as well. Much better than what happened with Matt Dunigan. When you have a high quality quarterback, you have to lock them up!

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    This should probably be split off into it's own thread.

Great news obviously! This also gives plenty of time for one of Harris or Collaros (if they are willing) to learn from one of the best.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Happy about this as well. Much better than what happened with Matt Dunigan. When you have a high quality quarterback, you have to lock them up!
    Oh yes..that Matt Dunigan fiasco set the Argos back 5 years until Doug Flutie arrived in 96...similar situation could be taking place in Edmonton with the departure of Ray.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Let me start by saying that I wish the Dunnigan low ball offer never happened.

Having said that...I don't think you can compare the 2 situaltions. In hindsight, it would have been great to re-sign Dunnigan, but he missed about 50% of the teams games in his 2 years here. And it's not like he was injury free for the rest of his career either.

Ray OTOH, has been relatively healthy throughout his career. His injuries aren't considered the type that can linger on, such as the ones Dunnigan had.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Let me start by saying that I wish the Dunnigan low ball offer never happened.

Having said that...I don't think you can compare the 2 situaltions. In hindsight, it would have been great to re-sign Dunnigan, but he missed about 50% of the teams games in his 2 years here. And it's not like he was injury free for the rest of his career either.

Ray OTOH, has been relatively healthy throughout his career. His injuries aren't considered the type that can linger on, such as the ones Dunnigan had.
    In hindsight, the decision to let Dunigan walk in 1992 was a bad decision, but at the time it probably didn't look so bad.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Is there any news on what he signed for as it will affect how much is available for others under the cap? Whatever the amount was, this is still the best news of the year so far. The only thing that could beat it would be another Grey Cup victory.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    In hindsight, the decision to let Dunigan walk in 1992 was a bad decision, but at the time it probably didn't look so bad.
    I have it on excellent authority that Dunigan was allowed to walk in 1992 because Bruce McNall was strapped for cash and unwilling to pay him what he was worth. More on that in my next book, if I ever get around to it.

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 358
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Sweet!! There's one position we won't have to worry about for years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I have it on excellent authority that Dunigan was allowed to walk in 1992 because Bruce McNall was strapped for cash and unwilling to pay him what he was worth. More on that in my next book, if I ever get around to it.
    I don't doubt that, Paul, as I believe that McNall's empire was starting to crumble by early '92. However, it was easier to walk away from Dunigan given that he had missed half of the team's games during his two seasons in Toronto and Ricky Foggie did look like he would not be a huge drop-off in production given his play in replacing Dunigan in '90 and '91. Dunigan's performance in the '91 Grey Cup was gutsy but I believe that the Argos would have won with Foggie at QB as well.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Excellent news. Looking forward to see the offense might evolve in year two.