Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Am I still the only one who thinks Collaros is something special?

After raving like a lunatic about him for the last year and a half, I feel redeemed.

Obviously its way too early to hand him the keys to the car.

But to me there's something special about this guy. Tonight he looked just like he did against Hamilton last November. And against Mtl in preseason. And like he did for most of his college career. All I've ever seen him do is deliver the goods.

But most importantly, he delivers in key situations in ball games. The best players always come up big when it's needed the most. It's a knack, they call it puck sense in hockey, I guess its ball sense in football.

The way he uses his legs, and his head, keeps his poise, and makes the smart play is uncanny. It's all I've ever seen him do.

Now, Ravi, or somebody, when was the last time an Argo QB's 1st CFL start was so successful? Didn't Gil Renfroe start really well?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    After raving like a lunatic about him for the last year and a half, I feel redeemed.

But to me there's something special about this guy. Tonight he looked just like he did against Hamilton last November. And against Mtl in preseason. And like he did for most of his college career. All I've ever seen him do is deliver the goods.

But most importantly, he delivers in key situations in ball games. The best players always come up big when it's needed the most. It's a knack, they call it puck sense in hockey, I guess its ball sense in football.

The way he uses his legs, and his head, keeps his poise, and makes the smart play is uncanny. It's all I've ever seen him do.

Now, Ravi, or somebody, when was the last time an Argo QB's 1st CFL start was so successful? Didn't Gil Renfroe start really well?

Try not to get too excited; it's only Football.

(just kidding)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    He looked really good once he found his feet.
    Only "problem" i see, he might get hurt with all the tackles he's going for.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Marcus Brady had a decent first start against a strong Winnipeg team in '03 but it has been a long time since an Argo QB had as good of a game in his first CFL start as Collaros did tonight. Renfroe played very well right away for the Argos in '87 IIRC but he had played for Ottawa the year before. Ricky Turner did very well in his first start against another strong Winnipeg team in '85 so maybe he was the last one to play as well as Collaros or close to it.

There is no question that Collaros proved a lot tonight against an excellent defence. He appears to be the real deal although he will have to keep proving himself in future starts.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    way too early to label him the next big thing... but...

i) i can see why his backers would feel vindicated
    ii) i kept shaking my head thinking he looked like vintage Garcia out there
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Boatman
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    he plays a similar style to RG3 as well.

I really like him... I think the Argos have to give him at least 2 more starts to see what he is made of. See how he does when a team has tape on him and can game plan for him. If he's as good as I think he's going to be then you may have to protect him and not Ray. I don't see Ottawa taking Ray's contract regardless.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    is Collaros a gamer? absolutely. he has the ideal CFL mentality in that he takes chances, runs the ball when he has to and comes out and plays aggressively.

however like someone said in a different thread his receivers were incredible last night, just incredible catches on a few plays (barnes td and chiles had another spectacular catch too). the barnes td was into double coverage and if he doesnt make that play on the ball -its a pick in the endzone and that may have changed the flow of the game at that point - who knows.

that said zach is 24 years old and was obviously very pumped for his first start last night. Let's see what he can do in Montreal but I'm very much looking forward to it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mchesher03 View Post
    is Collaros a gamer? absolutely. he has the ideal CFL mentality in that he takes chances, runs the ball when he has to and comes out and plays aggressively.

however like someone said in a different thread his receivers were incredible last night, just incredible catches on a few plays (barnes td and chiles had another spectacular catch too). the barnes td was into double coverage and if he doesnt make that play on the ball -its a pick in the endzone and that may have changed the flow of the game at that point - who knows.

that said zach is 24 years old and was obviously very pumped for his first start last night. Let's see what he can do in Montreal but I'm very much looking forward to it.
    You expect Collaros to start in Montreal in 8 days time?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I am skeptical that Ray will be fully healthy by then even based on the limited evidence we know including the 'i heard a pop' he mentioned to the trainers. If he's good to go great then obviously Ray starts but I have my doubt he won't be out at least 1 more game....

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Frank Zicarelli in the Sun is adamant that Collaros should be starting in Montreal. One thing that I have noticed about Zicarelli is that he is deathly afraid of injuries to starters and believes that the team should be extremely cautious - probably a little too cautious IMO.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Frank Zicarelli in the Sun is adamant that Collaros should be starting in Montreal. One thing that I have noticed about Zicarelli is that he is deathly afraid of injuries to starters and believes that the team should be extremely cautious - probably a little too cautious IMO.
    That's what you noticed about Zicarelli? The one thing I noticed is that he knows squat. Just listen to any interview with the coach. His voice is unmistakable, and he asks the absolute stupidest questions. I know that a lot of pepole on here are all on the Sun's bandwagon because they give the CFL much better coverage than any other Toronto daily, but let's not mistake quantity for quality. The way I see it, none of their writers are overly thrilled at being on the Argos beat.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes it is only one game, but I am with you. In the one game while watching at the dome, I saw enough things to make me a fan of Zach. It's the intangibles, as he made some moves reminiscent of Doug Flutie with his feet to escape certain tackles. On top of which he throws the ball with zip on it. I would say at this point, the Argos have to consider keeping him. After all this is a QB the team has developed and when was the last time this has happened? Oh yes, to a degree with Michael Bishop. Zach is nearly 10 years younger then Ricky and wow what an up side. Perhaps we can work out a trade with Ottawa for them not to draft Zach, therefore keeping both Ricky and Zach.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I've always been high on him. Reminds me a bit of a bigger Flutie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    A mobile QB, that can be a threat with his legs and a great passer you cannot teach. These qualities makes him a keeper.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I thought he played great, but to be honest, once he becomes a #1 QB (whether it's here or elsewhere) he will not have the same gameplan as he did last night. Knowing that Ricky Ray is the udisputed starter had a lot to do with the way he was utilized. No way will you see him on those QB counter runs you did last night, lowering his head and taking on tacklers straight on. The difference between what I saw of Collaros in an (unfair) comparison with Flutie, is that Flutie never ever seemed to get hit hard. If Collaros keeps doing that as a starter, he will not last long.

For the record, I think he can be great even if that part of his game is taken away. I hope he has the patience to stay behind RR on the depth chart for at least 3 more years.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post

For the record, I think he can be great even if that part of his game is taken away. I hope he has the patience to stay behind RR on the depth chart for at least 3 more years.
    Three more years after this? What ambitious talented young QB would wait 5 years to become a starter?

Three years from when he first arrived is probably as patient as he could be. Didn't 3 years used to be the unofficial apprenticeship length for starters-in-waiting? It's the Aaron Rogers rule. There are some similarities. Although the aging star QB is still pretty damn effective and near the top of his game, there comes a point where you must start thinking about the future, even if you can't be completely sure the young big-talent replacement will be as good. The Packers had the guts to make the call, and it paid off well.
    Last edited by Rich; 08-03-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    If those two passes into double coverage where picked off he'd be the next big thing to leave town. It's too early to get all hung up on a guy and he better not get too cocky. Some of those little tosses were aimed and had no heat to them. If he things the CFL game is easy he might just get bit hard. I do love to watch him and hope he develops but one good game doesn't make him the second coming of Doug Flutie.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    If those two passes into double coverage where picked off he'd be the next big thing to leave town.
    I agree the Chiles TD was kinda thrown up for grabs, but I think the Barnes TD went exactly as planned. Watch the replay again. Barnes was on it early, and C threw it high to a spot where Barnes had the best chance to get it. And not exactly a frozen rope, but he had a lot of zip on it, plus the great grab. I'd call it an NFL-style play.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    If Ricky Ray is 100% healthy next Thursday then Ricky Ray should be the one who starts against Montreal. No "ifs" and "buts."
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    If Ricky Ray is 100% healthy next Thursday then Ricky Ray should be the one who starts against Montreal. No "ifs" and "buts."
    i second that...no disrespect to collaros at all, but ricky ray is our starting quarterback. period. and i believe that will be the case until he retires....