Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Unlike everyone else, apparently, I didn't attend this game and couldn't even listen to it online.

Based on the stats it seems as though our D played pretty well and our running game was effective with both Riggs and Steele performing admirably. I'm surprised that Collaros was asked to hand the ball off so many times; maybe the 2013 backup QB decision was made at half time?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    What sticks out for me is undrafted Canadian Shane Herbert playing at cornerback. Eppele did play mostly on the right side last year IIRC.
    Eppele played left guard in the GC game and seems to be more effective there instead of the right side. Listening to the game I think Collarus will be the #2 QB. I think the guy will eventually be a star in this league. Jim Barker at half time said 5 or 6 vets were on the bubble. That would have to be a couple of Canadian Linemen and some import and Canadian WR's and maybe a LB, IMO.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    Unlike everyone else, apparently, I didn't attend this game and couldn't even listen to it online.

Based on the stats it seems as though our D played pretty well and our running game was effective with both Riggs and Steele performing admirably. I'm surprised that Collaros was asked to hand the ball off so many times; maybe the 2013 backup QB decision was made at half time?
    The stats are incorrect. Alouettes had another QB and Reggie Williams had a TD. I'm guessing the tackles aren't accurate as well.

Achievements:

Level
    Which stats are you looking at? The summary is laughably wrong, but I was looking at the Gametracker stats. That has a few problems (unless we really had 6 fumble recoveries), but most of it looks believable to me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Did I read right? 6,204 the total attendance according to TSN.ca. Even Guelph had double that amount. and lol at Winnipeg btw.
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 294life View Post
    Did I read right? 6,204 the total attendance according to TSN.ca. Even Guelph had double that amount. and lol at Winnipeg btw.
    6,204 is pretty good when the place only seats 5,000

Achievements:

Level
    Jeez. I just read the TSN game summary. Vinson left the game with his leg splinted? That cannot be good.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Jeez. I just read the TSN game summary. Vinson left the game with his leg splinted? That cannot be good.
    First play of the game. Looked like a really bad injury.

Romby Bryant hurt his shoulder seriously enough to keep him out the rest of the game.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yeah it happened on one of the first plays of he game. He appeared to be in significant pain, which isn't good as his name was mentioned all throughout camp as a standout. Romby Bryant also got hurt and was in discomfort as he was walking off.

On game observations alone I would've said Collaros has the edge, but Harris doesn't appear to have been as ineffective as I thought he was. Both teams played pretty conservative.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yup, first play of the game.

From my point of view (50 yard line 2nd last row)...
    Great 1 handed TD catch by Reggie Williams and an equally great TD catch by Joaquin Iglesius.
    If it's up to me, Collaros is #2. I know Harris threw the TD to Williams, but I was not impressed with him tonight. His ball seems to take forever to get to the receivers.
    Feoli-Gudino had a couple of nice catches in the flat and turned one up for a decent gain. Good on him.
    Great battle for the Kackert back-up as both Riggs and Steel looked great tonight.
    Looks like Bryant will be out for a while. I suspect he separated his shoulder--on punt coverage of all things.

On defence I thought Shane Herbert from Laurier looked good both on ST's and on D.
    Kalif Mitchell looks like a beast when he's on the field. Absolute best D-Lineman in the league as long as he doesn't cross that line.
    Also liked what I saw from both Bryan Payton and Mister Alexander playing in place of Marcus Ball.

Having said all that, it really is tough to determine who should make the team based on 2 pre-season games. I think a lot of people put too much stock in these games and not enough in the actual training camp. Some guys will make plays in this game, but that doesn't mean they've out performed their competition. It just means that circumstances put them in position to make plays. The film will tell the true story as it catches who was off on assignments on every play and that will determine who makes this team.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It makes sense though why we as armchair GM's make those analysis, and you're right these games are only part of the equation, but for many of us it is the only opportunity to see the team in pre-season.

I was fairly happy with the way our secondary performed against Anthony Calvillo despite the one major surrendered.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Too bad about those serious sounding injuries. My focus has been on this house selling deal that I didn't even know the game was tonight. Nice surprise seeing the score but for whatever reason I thought it was tomorrow.
    Nervous most of the day with a home inspector coming over tomorrow. Sure doesn't help that our 47 year old neighbour died very suddenly of a heart attack at work Monday night. Our little lane has been swamped with vehicles. The Indian community is pretty large in these parts. Plus I think half of Surrey is here. We feel so sad as Hash was a great guy with the sweetest family.
    Amazing when CFL or Argo ball can actually take a back seat to anything in our home.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    According to Gametracker, Cleyon Laing had two sacks. I was unable to listen to the game. How did he look?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    just adding to the thread (since i didn't see it mentioned at a quick glance) that i thought Swayze Waters' punts were very good.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    6,204 is pretty good when the place only seats 5,000
    I took a few pics. Not sure what Varsity holds but i was surprised to see that many empty seats. In fairness, the boxoffice guy told me the seats are soldout and only trackside are avail. Maybe some ticketholders had a hard time getting to midtown TO and passed on the game altogether.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LLB997; 06-21-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    According to Gametracker, Cleyon Laing had two sacks. I was unable to listen to the game. How did he look?
    He got a 15 yard spearing penalty on a play where the Argos ran in a fumble for a TD. I'm guessing his spear is what caused the turnover.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Here are my observations, from the 35-yard line behind the Argo bench. The suggestion to print the lineup in advance was a good one -- I took notes so here they are.

Dressed but did not play: Portis and Gale. I'd still like to see both kept around if possible, but for sure at least one will be.
    Did not dress: Ball, Van Zeyl, Reinders, Smith, Washington, Bradwell, Watkins.

Gabriel: played a lot of safety in the second half. Did not do anything obviously good or bad to an untrained eye.
    Harris: got more PT than Collaros -- two-plus quarters. Did not impress me nearly as much as Collaros.
    Herbert: Blocked a punt and played a fair bit at corner. I think he should make at least the 46.
    Iglesias: Made a couple of nice catches, one for a TD, and busted one long punt return. Has a shot at the roster, I'd say (especially with Bryant's injury).
    Adams: I didn't notice him do anything.
    Vinson: His injury looked incredibly painful -- he was clutching the hand of a woman on the sideline as they worked on his leg, and he almost puked into a bucket. Out for a while.
    Williams: One TD reception but I didn't see much else from him.
    Collaros: Very effective scrambling and led them on two TD drives. Should be No. 2, if that game was the decider.
    Carter: Looked outstanding in pass coverage all night. He and Watkins give us two shutdown corners, question is who plays the two halfback spots?
    Payton: Made one or two big plays and continues to be a keeper.
    Riggs: Still a very nice runner who can definitely play in this league.
    Bryan: Went out early with what looked like a separated shoulder. They popped it back in place and he went back in for one series, then was done for the night.
    Isaac: Got into a great jawing match with Bruce and eventually all of Mtl's receivers on the sideline.
    Steele: Ran like a beast in the fourth quarter, albeit against backups. May have beaten out Riggs for the backup RB spot. Like to see both kept if at all psbl.
    Waters: Booming punts all night, missed one FG, made one TD-saving tackle on a return.
    Alexander: I didn't really notice him so I was glad to see that AV thought he played well.
    Tonye-Tonye: Played quite a bit, not too noticeable.
    Antwi: Didn't get in until the second half, but made a few plays and seemed to be around the ball when he was in there.
    Di Domenico: Saw very little action, I assume he will be asked to go back to school for another year.
    Eppele: Played lots at LG and also came in as a tight end quite often.
    King and Rogers: Played the entire game at RT and LT, respectively. I assume one of them will be kept to back up Washington.
    Paliwoda: Played the entire second half at centre. Think he has a shot at sticking around as injury insurance, especially if one of the vets gets cut.
    Laing: Took a spearing penalty that negated a fumble recovery. Also dropped an INT in coverage but was in the right position, at least.
    Bryant: Looked like a rib injury to me. In a lot of pain on the sideline.
    Feoli-Gudino: Made two catches, at least one of them quite nice, playing the wide-side WR position.
    Guy: Had an up-and-down game -- some good plays, some bad ones. I'd probably keep Iglesias over him.
    Lee: Did not play much, didn't catch my eye.
    Tripp: Made one big play (a sack, I think).
    Mitchell: One huge sack, one roughing penalty. He will be dominate. Hung around Huntley a lot on the sideline (a good thing). High-spirited guy.
    Robinson: Lined up at TE fairly often, never as a traditional fullback.
    Reid: I don't think he played too much, from what I could see.

I couldn't really tell how the inside DBs did, so to me that and the final composition of the d-line remain the two biggest question marks. No question we have great depth at WR and RB and LB, and I think pretty solid depth on the o-line.

The event itself was understated but fun. It's really a shame that the Varsity dream died in 2004 -- it would have been a fantastic venue for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    The Isaac, Marcus Ball and even Pat Watkins jawing match with SJ Green, etc. was amusing - and a reminder why football teams are typically on the other side of the field from one another. I wish I could have made out more of what was said.

Varsity would have been a really cool venue if the old configuration of 20 – 25k seating was in-place. If not for the track (I know that wouldn’t be going anywhere) the seats were up a bit and still felt closer to the field than that dome.

That said I thought it was pretty dead in there – better atmosphere at the SkyDome to be honest. Partly it being an exhibition game, partly the game didn’t really flow imo (until Collaros started driving).

I thought our defensive backs played well too. Riggs played well with some good runs but that one Steele run – damn. He doesn’t trip over himself that’s a longggg TD run.

My uneducated and biased opinion is that this is the year that the Als jump the shark and the Hamilton – Toronto battle for the East begins. I said this back when Casey Printers started in Hamilton so I’ve been wrong before……

Either way great day for an outdoor football game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    i forgot - speaking of pukers - Noel Devine on the Als had a pretty lengthy one in the third quarter - not sure what happened there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    just adding to the thread (since i didn't see it mentioned at a quick glance) that i thought Swayze Waters' punts were very good.
    Swazye played very well. ..... Loved his tackle as well.
    I was being distracted when Romby was injured.... When I looked up as he was walking off the field my heart stopped for a moment as I thought the 80 was a 30 Yikes! Call Pre..... Then I settled down... It's Bryant not Waters .... Phew.... But leads to the next question, what if?