Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I am not in Canada and was not able to see the game, which sounds like a great one, but I am amazed how all it took was one game for people to anoint Collaros, Steele and Chiles as the ready-made replacements for Ray, Kackert and Inman.
    I'm amazed by your straw man argument!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    It was a great game last night.... Some of my two cents worth....
    The game plan was super... The O-Line could do its job, and looked seamless for the most part.
    Our running game was gong well, and Collaros was getting some good protection.
    The " made for Collaros" plays were excellent , and BC didn't know what hit them.
    Having a new QB and RB in place helped with confusing the Lions.
    Our defence stepped up to the plate and handled their offence with a lot of hard hitting. The Lions had to be perfect in order to get any yards. I loved the red zone play.... It's great to say the Lions were only held to field goals. I also loved the 13 th man playing their part with the D, causing 3 penalties in a row, then decline the last one on 3 rd down. Good coaching moves and reading a crowd that was into the game. I was wandering around town a few hours before and was hoping some of the walk up summer crowd had hit the game last night, for it was a good game and good crowd to " show off" the Argos.
    Collaros was super, and fun to watch. It was definitely a team win on offence, as some of those catches were strong receivers making it work. I'm sure if Zach was the routine starter, we would see some interceptions at some point, but everyone made it work last night. Our coaches did some great game planning, and with the strong practices that everyone was talking about, the Argos definitely out played and out coached the Lions.
    I also liked some of the special teams plays... Improving and showing some creativity. It was a discussion point with an avid NFL fan that I invited to the game. He loved it.
    I've heard the attendance was about 20,000? That was great for a Tues night game and against the Lions. ( the gang green should be embarrassed) I have a feeling the crowds will begin to grow over the season.
    Go Argooooos !
    Last edited by Argocister; 07-31-2013 at 05:10 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I am not in Canada and was not able to see the game, which sounds like a great one, but I am amazed how all it took was one game for people to anoint Collaros, Steele and Chiles as the ready-made replacements for Ray, Kackert and Inman. It's great to have depth, but I for one want no part of any talk about not protecting RR in the draft or getting rid of Kackert or Inman. Those guys won a Grey Cup for us, and in case anyone has forgotten, RR is completing 75 per cent of his passes, with eight TDs and no interceptions and a QB rating of 124. One great game by Collaros does not suddenly make it worth exposing RR to the Redblacks draft -- anyone who thinks they would not draft him is nuts, IMO. He is performing as well or better than he ever has, and he is only 32, with many years left. I would love to keep Collaros as well, but I cannot envisage a scenario in which Ricky Ray is not protected in the draft. As for Kackert and Inman, they have done enough over a long enough period of time to declare that they don't lose their jobs because of a single game by a rookie.
    So for the upcoming draft, we need to protect Collaros and expose Ray and his 450,000 salary. This only makes sense now

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Why do you think he makes 450k? Pretty sure it's "only" 300k

They need to give out at games more of those clapping balloons. I was able to make so much noise with them last night.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flafson View Post

They need to give out at games more of those clapping balloons. I was able to make so much noise with them last night.
    He made 450,000 in Edm, the Argos resigned him to a contract extension, I highly doubt he took a 150,000 pay cut with the Argos.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/st...ricky-ray.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

I can honestly say I really despise those things.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    The Argonauts passing game over the last two weeks:

Forty completions in forty-five attempts for 549 yards with 5 touchdowns and 0 interceptions thrown. A 154.5 QB rating assuming that the CFL formula is the same as the NFL. Very impressive!
    It's the same formula.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    So for the upcoming draft, we need to protect Collaros and expose Ray and his 450,000 salary. This only makes sense now
    So you are OK with losing him and his salary to Ottawa? Because as I said, if he is exposed he will be drafted. I personally don't want to lose a guy who has won as many Grey Cups as any QB in history.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbler View Post
    I'm amazed by your straw man argument!
    Glad I could amaze you. Anyone reading this thread and the other will have seen that there were all kinds of suggestions that the new guys should or will replace the old.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    So you are OK with losing him and his salary to Ottawa? Because as I said, if he is exposed he will be drafted. I personally don't want to lose a guy who has won as many Grey Cups as any QB in history.
    I realize now paul, that my statement did not have enough sarcasam in it. No, i don"t want to lose Ray

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Both Kackert and Steele should be playing when available, they are both great.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I realize now paul, that my statement did not have enough sarcasam in it. No, i don"t want to lose Ray
    Thanks. I kinda thought so but you never know around here . . .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Both Kackert and Steele should be playing when available, they are both great.
    Like AV, I would not mind seeing Steele dress (presumably in place of Iglesias) when Kackert returns, but I feel quite confident that SM and MB are not going to bust out a two-RB offence any time soon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I can honestly say I really despise those things.
    Agree, I'm not a fan of those clapping balloons beside my ears...I can understand some fans liking them, but I don't want that to be as distracting as the vuvuzela at the World Cup in South Africa and used throughout the entire game. I prefer to have natural noise coming from the cheering. Speaking of vuvuzelas, I've heard very few plastic air horns, which used to be staples for many in the crowd during CFL games. It got a little sad when the Argos would be losing and you'd hear one guy trying to drum up support by desperately blowing it and barely getting any sound. When I remember sounds of the old CNE for Argos games, it was the plastic airhorns and the sound of seagulls quacking as they swooped down empty sections toward the end of games to scavenge for leftovers that may have been left from departed fans...ah the good old days, when you could get crapped on by the hundreds of seagulls that would fly around the open air sections of that stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    He made 450,000 in Edm, the Argos resigned him to a contract extension, I highly doubt he took a 150,000 pay cut with the Argos.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/st...ricky-ray.html

CFL salaries are not made public - if you're big on media reports and guessing/conjecture - fair enough.

Exposing Ray to Ottawa in the draft in favor of Collaros as the young (and cheaper) gun would be pretty iffy IMO - but I also could see it happening ... maybe ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    CFL salaries are not made public - if you're big on media reports and guessing/conjecture - fair enough.

Exposing Ray to Ottawa in the draft in favor of Collaros as the young (and cheaper) gun would be pretty iffy IMO - but I also could see it happening ... maybe ?

I definitely don't want to expose Ray in the draft. Luckily, we have both Collaros and Harris. Perhaps we should give Harris some starting time, as well as Collaros, and by the December 16th draft, we may wish to trade one of Collaros/Harris to the Rebs.

EDIT : To clarify, if Harris shows some good stuff, then we will know that he can be a future star, tutored by Ray. What I'm hoping for, is for Harris to out-perform as well (he's showed glimpses in the past, according to what I've read on this forum), and then we will at least know, what he's made of. Then, we can trade/give-way one of Collaros/Harris to Ottawa, with the stipulation that they not draft the other. Besides, Ray could use some more rest for his knee.

Maybe start Harris in Montreal next game? Let's find out what we've got.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 08-01-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger Second ClassVeteran

Level
    Glad I could amaze you. Anyone reading this thread and the other will have seen that there were all kinds of suggestions that the new guys should or will replace the old.
    Never mind the details, I suppose. Accuracy is for those silly academics.

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    WOW!! Just got back from a canoe trip and PVR'ed the game. Did not expect that. IMO Collaros needs one more game to even consider "which one". If that game was NOT just a one game fluke then I ask myself who has more of a future in the CFL? Ray suspect knee and older, or the younger guy? Very tough choice if he preforms like that again. To those that do not like the noise makers, it looked (sounded) great on TV and helped the Argos in some downs. To me that is OLD school thinking and a big part of why the Dome sucks, put some noise and rowdy fans in there and it gets a little better.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

When there is multiple media reports all from different source stating dam near the same money amount, then yeah I think its fairly accurate. Where did you pull the 300,000 from.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRedneck View Post
    To those that do not like the noise makers, it looked (sounded) great on TV and helped the Argos in some downs. To me that is OLD school thinking and a big part of why the Dome sucks, put some noise and rowdy fans in there and it gets a little better.
    Noise by cheering because the crowd are educated football fans not just random clacking of thundersticks for the sake of making noise akin a 4 yr old. That's the only problem I have with using "foreign objects" to use a wrestling term to make noise. The crowd was into the game, and I've seen Argo games in years past where everybody in the end zone seats used to be given those thundersticks. I'm not a fan of the actual noise that they make, not necessarily a fan against natural ambience celebrating the play on the field. I really don't think people don't go to the games because the music is not loud enough between plays or because the PA announcer is just giving information as opposed to leading a cheer. Anyways, a great game, good atmosphere which was also provided by the St. Michael's Drumline in conjunction with the Argonotes who are always supplying a football atmosphere with their brass band.

PS - The Dome sucks for the Argos because they get nothing from the overpriced concessions and parking, which is a huge contributing factor to why many people, other than die-hards don't go down to watch the Argos there....let's not even start about security and the draconian smoking and drinking policies in Ontario, but I could write for hours about that, and we could debate those issues forever.