Thread: Brandon Isaac

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Brandon Isaac

released? Brown wasn't producing too well so far, Di Domenico was a practice roster player but Brandon Isaac released?? what the heck is going on ???

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Wow. This just like Cory Boyd all over again. TSN rankings mean nothing but I know Dunigan ranked him higher than the spot he got. I thought he did a great job last year and I'm not sure who they will replace him with. It has to be Horton I guess, but you can't just put him in after a few good snaps on defence and then just get rid of the starter days later. Weird.
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 07-23-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Achievements:
    Level
    The Argos have also signed RB Chris Jennings who played for MTL recently http://www.cfl.ca/article/rocking-th...gn-rb-jennings

Also signed DBs Hugo Lopez and Ricardo Colclough.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Based on how things worked out after the even-more-stunning release of Boyd last August, I'm prepared to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt on this one. One thing that has been evident so far this season is that Isaac was having great difficulty in pass coverage on deep routes. In Jones' scheme, the outside LBs have to play like CBs at times, so if he can't cover deep, something had to give.

Jennings is a good depth guy and could step right in if Steele isn't up to the task. Colclough (pronounced COKE-lee, I think) showed a lot of potential with Hamilton.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    My first thought like Paul was that his problems in pass coverage could have been a factor in this decision.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    interesting - guess it makes sense in the end and agreed with the others given how last year worked out its hard to poke holes in this coaching staff's record.

I expect that another squad will pick him up though - hamilton maybe?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Interesting to see who replaces him as defensive captain. I think McCune is a more likely choice than Ball, Watkins or Mitchell, the only other real vets on the starting defence. Not that being captain matters much these days -- coaches call every play and formation, and the defence doesn't even huddle. But McCune seems like a vocal leader and I'd be fine with him in that spot.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Achievements:

Level
    Surprised to see this especially how the defence played overall against Winnipeg... then again, that probably isn't the best game to judge our defence against...do they even consider someone like Hood or Tonye-Tonye out there... helping the ratio a bit?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't have the benefit of film like the coaches, but I think this reflects poorly on the CFL. Your defensive captain, a face of the franchise who recently was voted a top player in the league is just released? There must be more to it, but will Toronto media even dig for more information? Good luck Brandon, you were great to watch.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Very surprised by this. I honestly think Hamilton will pick him up. Its like a gift for them. I was just watching highlights from last year and Brandon was in a ton of them. I wonder what led to his release. Oh well. That's the CFL.....

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    You'd recall that although we all speculated on Boyd's release last year having something to do with locker room problems it was a specific area of his game (blocking) that was labelled as the problem. Here again, if we go by what Paul Woods and myself speculated (pass defense) then it is again a very specific aspect of his game.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    what the actual bleep.

i'm shocked. i had thought there were some rough spots in his coverage, but i reckoned that things were coming together (or would do so as the weeks went on). i hope that this is strictly for football reasons, as i enjoyed the interactions i'd had with BI and wouldn't want them coloured by any negative stories.

so... Shane Horton then?
    Last edited by bluto; 07-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm disappointed by this. Yes, I too winced seeing him get burned when lined up on the corner in the last game. However, he is a linebacker and being put in that situation is not normal. I understand that Chris Jones' system requires players to know all positions but I'm not sure its fair to grade a linebacker by having trouble at cornerback (the toughest position on the defence). Being asked to play outside of your strength was Foley's biggest complaint last year and probably why he left. Jones may be too dedicated to his system and not enough to his personnel. Speaking of this system, I can't think of a player on this team that knows it better than Isaac after 2 years in Calgary and one here. I'm very interested to hear the rationale because our Defence has only played well in spurts this year and Isaac is very much needed. His enthusiasm and energy on the field was unmatched and not easy to be replaced. Man, if you look out our defensive roster from the Grey Cup game to what it is now, I'm actually surprised we're at 2-2. Yes, the Boyd decision worked well last year but I am not as confident about this one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    My first thought like Paul was that his problems in pass coverage could have been a factor in this decision.
    For me, it is more the scheme then any one individual per say.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I'm disappointed by this. Yes, I too winced seeing him get burned when lined up on the corner in the last game. However, he is a linebacker and being put in that situation is not normal. I understand that Chris Jones' system requires players to know all positions but I'm not sure its fair to grade a linebacker by having trouble at cornerback (the toughest position on the defence). Being asked to play outside of your strength was Foley's biggest complaint last year and probably why he left. Jones may be too dedicated to his system and not enough to his personnel. Speaking of this system, I can't think of a player on this team that knows it better than Isaac after 2 years in Calgary and one here. I'm very interested to hear the rationale because our Defence has only played well in spurts this year and Isaac is very much needed. His enthusiasm and energy on the field was unmatched and not easy to be replaced. Man, if you look out our defensive roster from the Grey Cup game to what it is now, I'm actually surprised we're at 2-2. Yes, the Boyd decision worked well last year but I am not as confident about this one.
    My thoughts except for your statement that I'm disappointed. Personally, I'm shocked, like Bluto. I've always believed a team needs to have a certain amount of cohesion and continuity to be successful and with Isaac's departure there is very little glue holding our defence from last year together. Whatever, his shortcomings on deep coverage, I think its highly unlikely we will find anyone who carry out Isaac's linebacking chores as well as being a good deep coverage guy, so the types of problems the defence faces may simply shift in their nature.

Achievements:
    Level
    All Milanovich says is "We appreciate all Brandon has done for this team" and "gives them a chance to be better at the position"

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Interesting decision. Like Paul and AF87, I think it had a lot to do with his cover skills. Wonder if they will move Ball to the strong side and Horton into the weak side spot. I would love to see them consider putting Jermaine Gabriel into the strong side spot. His speed out there would be something and likely give you better coverage skills.

I noticed that the Argos seemed to play a lot more zone and blitz the linebackers less on Friday night. Could be that Jones doesn't feel he has the right personnel to play his pressure style defence and wanted a LB that was better at coverage. BI's strength is definitely his blitzing.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Achievements:
    Level
    Why would you replace a OLB with a DB but then again when I was in practice last week it looked like BI was playing halfback.

Milanovich: There are possibilities to replace Isaac. Jamie Robinson and maybe Joshua Gatlin. As well, there's a possibility of a newcomer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I remember all time Argo Rodney Harding saying that he told all the American players that you can't afford to have 1 bad game in the CFL. If Robinson replaces BI at LB, then who replaces Robinson at CB?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I don't have the benefit of film like the coaches, but I think this reflects poorly on the CFL. Your defensive captain, a face of the franchise who recently was voted a top player in the league is just released? There must be more to it, but will Toronto media even dig for more information? Good luck Brandon, you were great to watch.
    You sound like the Star's Wayne Parrish after Zac Henderson's release in 1983. You can thank Paul's book for that reference.

This release is certainly shocking but the coaches must feel as though Isaac's play has dropped off this season and that there are players who could do a better job and be a better fit for what Jones wants to do. I would expect Isaac to get picked up by another team with Hamilton being a strong possibility.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 07-23-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force