Level

Argo Legend passes on at 91!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I had the privilege of meeting Mr. Ascott and his wife outside Skydome a few years ago. He related that back in his day all that the players received as payment were team jackets. I am sad to hear of his passing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Great story of Les Ascott. The Peterborough Orfuns, I believe, played in that old Senior League with Sarnia, London and others called the ORFU. Just a step below the Big Four of Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Too bad the current CFL teams couldn't organize a similar league for Canadians to play in and develop. There is a Senior League in Ontario now, but not many players seem to graduate to the CFL. The better players are kept around on the PR and injured lists.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Great story of Les Ascott. The Peterborough Orfuns, I believe, played in that old Senior League with Sarnia, London and others called the ORFU. Just a step below the Big Four of Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. Too bad the current CFL teams couldn't organize a similar league for Canadians to play in and develop. There is a Senior League in Ontario now, but not many players seem to graduate to the CFL. The better players are kept around on the PR and injured lists.
    The ORFU used to compete or at least tried to compete for the Grey Cup until the 50s. They were a step below the Big Four, but a big step above any senior league as we know it now. They even attracted import talent such as Cookie Gilchrist who played for both Sarnia and Kitchener before staring in the CFL and AFL. Of course in the 30s and before, teams such as Toronto Balmy Beach won the Grey Cup, representing the ORFU.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    A legend indeed. I had the privlege of getting him to sign a couple a photos for me. One of them was already signed by Art Skidmore and now I need Fred Doty to sign the picture of all three of them enjoying a glass of milk after a game or practice. He told me that he stopped driving a few years ago and that he wasn't recently able to see the Argos play (not sure when you met him gil). This was last year. I felt bad and thought the Argos should do more for it's alumni by arranging the transportation to get these guys to a game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    The ORFU used to compete or at least tried to compete for the Grey Cup until the 50s. They were a step below the Big Four, but a big step above any senior league as we know it now. They even attracted import talent such as Cookie Gilchrist who played for both Sarnia and Kitchener before staring in the CFL and AFL. Of course in the 30s and before, teams such as Toronto Balmy Beach won the Grey Cup, representing the ORFU.
    CFL hall of famed Glen Weir was, I believe, the last ORFU player to make it to the CFL. He played with the London Lords until 1971 and moved on to the Alouettes.

I remember going to a Lords playoff game in about 1971, vs. the Bramalea Bulls, played at Western. Two-game total-points. The stands were packed with 10,000 fans. London won the first one 42-6 and I was sure we'd be the champions, until we lost the next week to Bramalea, 48-7. That was fun football and really popular back in the day. Can't believe I actually remember the scores. It must have been traumatic….
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    CFL hall of famed Glen Weir was, I believe, the last ORFU player to make it to the CFL. He played with the London Lords until 1971 and moved on to the Alouettes.

I remember going to a Lords playoff game in about 1971, vs. the Bramalea Bulls, played at Western. Two-game total-points. The stands were packed with 10,000 fans. London won the first one 42-6 and I was sure we'd be the champions, until we lost the next week to Bramalea, 48-7. That was fun football and really popular back in the day. Can't believe I actually remember the scores. It must have been traumatic….
    Reminds me of the 2 game total point series between the Argos and the Ti-Cats in 1986. The Argos beat the Cats 31-17 at home. My friends and I were pretty joyous and confident that the Argos would be in the Grey Cup. The Ti-Cats came back 42-25 and went on to win the Grey Cup. We couldn't believe it. Of course everyone here probably knows that story, but its nice to hear about some old ORFU stories.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    A legend indeed. I had the privlege of getting him to sign a couple a photos for me. One of them was already signed by Art Skidmore and now I need Fred Doty to sign the picture of all three of them enjoying a glass of milk after a game or practice. He told me that he stopped driving a few years ago and that he wasn't recently able to see the Argos play (not sure when you met him gil). This was last year. I felt bad and thought the Argos should do more for it's alumni by arranging the transportation to get these guys to a game.
    I met the Ascotts about 10 years ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Funny you talk about minor league football. I read an article today in the KW Record about the team from the Tri-City's getting ready to play a playoff game in Sault St Marie on Saturday night. The article stated that the Sault is football mad and were expecting a crowd of 3,000 to pack Rocky DiPietro stadium. Tommy Dennison tore up the NFC last season for a team based in Toronto...but who cares sadly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Can you imagine something like this happening today? Back then, there was much more balance in what the sports media covered in this country which made such an event possible.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force