Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    . Bingo! Speaking of QBs, HEnry BUrris just walked by me at terminal 1 @ Pearson. NIce guy , I see why they call him smilin HAnk.
    Met Burris last year at a Ticat open practice last year that I took my sons to, he is a classy guy for sure, very gracious with the kids!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by newbieargosfan85 View Post
    hey,
    For some reason people are just drawn to this guy, he's a huge draw. That's why I don't understand why NFL team's don't give him a shot. What do the Patriots have to lose by having him as a third string QB and putting him in for some short yardage plays now and then? I think sometimes everyone get's way too caught up in the stats and the x's and o's rather than the entertainment value. In terms of marketing, Tebow is up there with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. It would be awesome if he came to the CFL, imagine the crowd at the Rogers Centre if Tebow were a possible opponent. We love our short yardage guys here in Canada so he would have the potential to see a fair amount of action. I really hope we can get him up to Canada.
    nfl teams, who sell out 70,000+ seats each game, who make millions upon millions each season, dont need tim tebow to make them money...i do agree that people follow this guy hand over foot (i have no clue why) and he would sell tickets in the cfl for that reason...id like to see him up here strictly for that, cfl success...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I've said before and I'll say it again, I think the novelty factor for Tebow (as far as selling tickets goes) would wear off almost instantly. He might give a team or two a slightly higher gate, but he does not transcend the sport the way, for instance, Gretzky did when he was traded/sold to L.A. Sure, some people who aren't football fans have heard of Tebow, but I don't see many of them suddenly deciding to buy tickets. Some football fans who don't normally go to CFL games might buy tickets for a game to see him, but since he is extremely unlikely to dominate on the field, I can't see that effect lasting.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure if Tebow could be an impact CFL QB, but maybe and it would be interesting to see IMO.

I am kinda amused by all the Tebow haters out there (at least some of the commentators i've heard from on some CFL fan forums); seems to me, their hatred or scoffing or lack of respect comes from 2 basic factors: 1 - they don't like his religious background or personal life or attention he geys; and 2 - these are the types who are inclined to believe/back/be in love with football "expert" sources and are very happy to see Tebow being rejected by the NFL as some sort of "proof" that these expert sources are right - he doesn't have enough "arm strength", has poor throwing "mechanics", can read a defence, only a running QB, etc. And of course - a lot of these experts and their lemmings believed Doug Flutie was not a pro "calibre" QB; and a lot of these lemmings believe a lot of stuff about other QBs or players in general - with often next to little or even zero on field evidence to go by. Tebow was an outstanding QB in college ball, and he had some success in some NFL opportunity - but maybe he should be written off for good as the experts always know best.

Last edited by OV Argo; 09-02-2013 at 12:25 AM.

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't get the whole religious thing. There has been many like that before him and there will be many more after. Not sure why he gets the most hate.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I don't get the whole religious thing. There has been many like that before him and there will be many more after. Not sure why he gets the most hate.
    As time goes on, religion becomes less supported, especially in North America. Religion is blamed for wars, terrorism, racism , you name it. It never used to be this way as people would simply go to church and live their lives. There is a lot more hate towards religion now, especially when you throw it in peoples faces, and it will increase.

Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    As time goes on, religion becomes less supported, especially in North America. Religion is blamed for wars, terrorism, racism , you name it. It never used to be this way as people would simply go to church and live their lives. There is a lot more hate towards religion now, especially when you throw it in peoples faces, and it will increase.
    Yes but Shaun Alexander was very vocal on his faith and he only recently retired a few years ago. Everyone knew Ben Cahoon was Mormon (though he never flaunted it) and we are not talking about the 1950's here. Does Tebow show off his faith more than anybody else? Yes but that may be because the media doesn't care about the 3rd stringers who pray in the endzone or at half after the game. I understand your point but I don't think it translates to everyone picking on Tebow from 2011-2013.
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 09-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    He is strongly against abortion and pre-marital sex as well so he has popularity with a certain group of people who, while their influence is declining, is still significant enough in numbers. I don't want to get too deep into politics here but part of Tebow's appeal is political as well as religious (think the fundamentalist Republicans south of the border). Those who don't agree with his views may have especially strong feelings against him and things are quite polarized politically down there. That is only my take on it anyway.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    He is strongly against abortion and pre-marital sex as well so he has popularity with a certain group of people who, while their influence is declining, is still significant enough in numbers. I don't want to get too deep into politics here but part of Tebow's appeal is political as well as religious (think the fundamentalist Republicans south of the border). Those who don't agree with his views may have especially strong feelings against him and things are quite polarized politically down there. That is only my take on it anyway.
    What is a fundamentalist Republican? You make it sound like they are terrorists. Is there such a thing as a fundamentalist Democrat? (Al Gore)? Tebow's beliefs are no different then PinBall Clemons. I'm not saying you are Ravi but some of these people ragging on Tebow are just plain bigots.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    What is a fundamentalist Republican? You make it sound like they are terrorists. Is there such a thing as a fundamentalist Democrat? (Al Gore)? Tebow's beliefs are no different then PinBall Clemons. I'm not saying you are Ravi but some of these people ragging on Tebow are just plain bigots.
    I should have said Fundamentalist Christian Republican. I wasn't saying anything good or bad about them but I think that Tebow owes much of his popularity to that group which is most influential in the southern U.S. because of his stated beliefs. Personally, I don't care what his beliefs are when it comes to his ability to play football or not but I think that there are people who don't like Tebow as a football player because of his beliefs.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:

Level
    I should have said Fundamentalist Christian Republican. I wasn't saying anything good or bad about them but I think that Tebow owes much of his popularity to that group which is most influential in the southern U.S. because of his stated beliefs. Personally, I don't care what his beliefs are when it comes to his ability to play football or not but I think that there are people who don't like Tebow as a football player because of his beliefs.
    I think you hit the nail on the head.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 371
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Wow this is a deep thread! If he has accuracy and mobility he should drop a line to Ray, Burris, Cavillo, Ham or Moon to learn what this great league has and give it a shot. Otherwise he can call college games or move towards religious tv.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Not sure if Tebow could be an impact CFL QB, but maybe and it would be interesting to see IMO.

I am kinda amused by all the Tebow haters out there (at least some of the commentators i've heard from on some CFL fan forums); seems to me, their hatred or scoffing or lack of respect comes from 2 basic factors: 1 - they don't like his religious background or personal life or attention he geys; and 2 - these are the types who are inclined to believe/back/be in love with football "expert" sources and are very happy to see Tebow being rejected by the NFL as some sort of "proof" that these expert sources are right - he doesn't have enough "arm strength", has poor throwing "mechanics", can read a defence, only a running QB, etc. And of course - a lot of these experts and their lemmings believed Doug Flutie was not a pro "calibre" QB; and a lot of these lemmings believe a lot of stuff about other QBs or players in general - with often next to little or even zero on field evidence to go by. Tebow was an outstanding QB in college ball, and he had some success in some NFL opportunity - but maybe he should be written off for good as the experts always know best.

^^^ This exactly. All I will say about the guy though, is that I believe he has enough talent for the Als, or whomever they decide to trade his rights to, to be given a shot. He has both good and bad attributes, but he knows how to play football. If he proves he can stay based on his ability, great, if he flames out, well too bad for him. I actually believe that it could be good for the CFL either way.

Ok, I will say one more thing...If you hate the guy because of his religious convictions, he is not the first or most religious players there's ever been, and I will bet you dollars to doughnuts, there's more than enough players in both leagues, that personal lives and beliefs will make you shiver in your boots. Give your heads a collective shake, and worry about what he does on tbe field. Blame the American media for giving attention to his religious side. Plenty of players have prayed or made the cross sign on the field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I agree with Chris Schultz about preferring to see Vince Young up here. He has the talent, I think, to play in our league but the larger issue with him, as I recall, has been his maturity.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I agree with Chris Schultz about preferring to see Vince Young up here. He has the talent, I think, to play in our league but the larger issue with him, as I recall, has been his maturity.
    I agree, except, I see no reason for either of them to show up, besides the fact the Als own both of their rights. Is there anything trade worthy in either of their rights for the Als?

Boatman
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:

Level
    Tebow flaunts his religion I think that is a lot of it.

I am surprised though that he was never really given a chance. He did alright in Denver, even one a playoff game. Then all of a sudden he can't do anything. I am sure someone will take a chance on him. I think he will be in th CFL at some point, but I think that point is still a 2-3 years away. I could see him in Oakland, with Pryor winning the starting job and having a similar style.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    I agree, except, I see no reason for either of them to show up, besides the fact the Als own both of their rights. Is there anything trade worthy in either of their rights for the Als?
    I think that it depends, at least in part, on how good the Argos feel about Collaros, Harris, Portis and Gale. If they think that either Young or Tebow could be better, then they might deem it to be worthwhile to trade a draft pick to the Als for the rights to one of those QBs. That is a big "if" though.

Boatman
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:

Level
    I cant see the Als trading the rights to either given there current QB situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Tebow would be a MASSIVE improvement over the bum we played last night....that was embarrassing...
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Tebow would be a MASSIVE improvement over the bum we played last night....that was embarrassing...
    Idiotic statement of the night...We have a winner.
    It's us vs the rest of the country