Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    it makes perfect sense if they have expansion plans in a drawer somewhere already that can be taken to the Ex's board meeting on thursday to show feasibility of concept...

...which seems exactly what you'd want to do if you were looking to fast track (ie: 3 yr window) this sort of project.
    Plans might exist, sure, but no way has PCL already been awarded the contract without any public discussion. Publicly-owned facilities don't get built that way. (Although given the lack of municipal oversight that led to BMO being built unsuitable for football in the first place, maybe it shouldn't surprise me.)
    Faster + Louder = Better

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Plans might exist, sure, but no way has PCL already been awarded the contract without any public discussion. Publicly-owned facilities don't get built that way. (Although given the lack of municipal oversight that led to BMO being built unsuitable for football in the first place, maybe it shouldn't surprise me.)
    No public discussion is required. All that's required is a majority Exhibition Place Board vote and a majority City Council vote. I also agree that PCL plans may exist but they are far from approved yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a variety of companies giving proposals for renovation plans.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    No public discussion is required. All that's required is a majority Exhibition Place Board vote and a majority City Council vote. I also agree that PCL plans may exist but they are far from approved yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a variety of companies giving proposals for renovation plans.
    I would. The structure was a design build. Meaning the same company did it. Going with PCL is the cheapest option by far. Even if a variety of companies intended gave proposals, they have to meet strict requirements to even submit it, which would discourage alot of companies right off the bat. After that, they are not just graded on price, but past performance, references, etc, etc.

In addition, all the structural drawings, references and knowledge of this building lies with PCL's engineers. Any new company would have to fully assess the structure, meanwhile PCL opens a folder on their server and done.

There is some ridiculous "It can't be done" statement on soccer fan boy sites. With no basis other than they don't want to see it happen.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder
    Rumour going around on Soccer-Fan boy sites is that PCL has the contract for Construction and renovation of BMO field, for a roof over the stands and stadium modifications for the Argos to be completed by 2015.
    Are these rumours based on any info that's been made public?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    They wouldn't be rumours otherwise.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder
    They wouldn't be rumours otherwise.
    How clever.

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    I would. The structure was a design build. Meaning the same company did it. Going with PCL is the cheapest option by far. Even if a variety of companies intended gave proposals, they have to meet strict requirements to even submit it, which would discourage alot of companies right off the bat. After that, they are not just graded on price, but past performance, references, etc, etc.

In addition, all the structural drawings, references and knowledge of this building lies with PCL's engineers. Any new company would have to fully assess the structure, meanwhile PCL opens a folder on their server and done.
    I agree that it would make the most sense for PCL to do the renovation if it is going to happen. Like I said though I wouldn't be surprised if they have a variety of companies giving proposals. As it stands right now the city has approached MLSE to look in to renovating the place for the Argos. As MLSE is a tenant they are doing what they are being told and probably got PCL and possibly other companies to do up some designs and estimates. I'm sure we are still quite some time away from hearing anything official.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    There is some ridiculous "It can't be done" statement on soccer fan boy sites. With no basis other than they don't want to see it happen.
    You haven't seen posts based on nothing but emotional reaction before?

The post was worded very similar to this actually:

Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    The stadium will be built, and it will be built in North Markham, or Vaughn as part of a huge commercial development. The Argos will start the 2016 season in the new place. That is all I can say at this time. Choose to believe me or not, don't care, but BMO is out
    Nothing has been publicly announced yet.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Interesting note from the Post's coverage of the Bills-to-Toronto story. Apparently Braley's starting price on the Argos is as high as $20 million. http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ls-to-toronto/

I still think this whole thing is a long shot but it was heartening to read yesterday that the NFL is insistent the Argos survive any move of the league into this market.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    For those fans here who have been vitriolic on their comments about Kathleen Wynne, here is what she said in the Toronto Sun:

The premier said she would be guided by the principle that the CFL remains viable.

“We wouldn’t want to hurt the Argos,” she said.

And the NDP leader, who presumably is hated even more than Wynne by "Ford Nation," had this to say:

Forget the Buffalo Bills and bring Bon Jovi to Toronto, New Democrat Leader Andrea Horwath said.

CFL football has a long tradition, a hard game that Canadians play very well, she noted.

“People talk about this opportunity for the Bills to come here as a bed of roses — making that little pun of course with Bon Jovi, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Bon Jovi myself in the Toronto area,” Horwath said.

“But having said that, not to the detriment of our CFL teams, of our Argos and our Tiger-Cats … I think we need to keep supporting our CFL and make sure it’s strong and vigorous and I don’t want to see the possibility of us losing ground in the CFL. We’ve seen too much of that.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/25...ill-to-toronto

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Hudak is a Bills fan but I bet he would rather go Orchard Park than the Dome.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    For those fans here who have been vitriolic on their comments about Kathleen Wynne, here is what she said in the Toronto Sun:

The premier said she would be guided by the principle that the CFL remains viable.

“We wouldn’t want to hurt the Argos,” she said.

And the NDP leader, who presumably is hated even more than Wynne by "Ford Nation," had this to say:

Forget the Buffalo Bills and bring Bon Jovi to Toronto, New Democrat Leader Andrea Horwath said.

CFL football has a long tradition, a hard game that Canadians play very well, she noted.

“People talk about this opportunity for the Bills to come here as a bed of roses — making that little pun of course with Bon Jovi, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Bon Jovi myself in the Toronto area,” Horwath said.

“But having said that, not to the detriment of our CFL teams, of our Argos and our Tiger-Cats … I think we need to keep supporting our CFL and make sure it’s strong and vigorous and I don’t want to see the possibility of us losing ground in the CFL. We’ve seen too much of that.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/25...ill-to-toronto
    So..... is she prepping the masses for some future gov't funding for .... dare I say .... a stadium somewhere?

How many voters were watching the Argos this year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level

I still think this whole thing is a long shot but it was heartening to read yesterday that the NFL is insistent the Argos survive any move of the league into this market.
    Besides not wanting the CFL to die. (The NFL did float the CFL a loan when they were literally on death's door in the late 90's) From a practical perspective ... the CFL being alive will allow the NFL to maintain is extremely valuable anti-trust status.