Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Everyone's favourite CEO Chris Rudge was on TSN this afternoon talking about this. He said something about negotiating a new 5 year deal with Rogers, and that they're looking at future stadium options, and that if the Jays put in grass then there's no way the Argos can play there (because moving the seats around would wreck the grass.)

I don't think they have the audio up on their web site yet but I'll keep an eye out for the link.
    http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Dri...rTwo_Sept4.mp3

Starts around 12:00 mark.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    So Rogers suck. MLSE suck. Braley will need to sell eventually. There's nobody else but the sucks. So why are Argo fans ArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeArgodomeing?

The Argos were most stable in the last 30 years when Interbrew owned the Jays, Argos and Dome. So being owned by MLSE and playing in a MLSE playpen is considered a bad idea?

Also. Pelley stated previously that MLSE did look at buying the Argos years ago and passed since they'd never make any money. That was an Argo team that was a tenant in a building and did not make any money off other revenue streams at the building. (also a small'ish TV deal)

Fast forward and MLSE could buy the team. Put them in a building they control (new or BMO) and get 100% of the revenues from. Add to that the TV deal gets bigger so all CFL teams become easier to be viable. Plus everyone knows attendance would improve if the building was outdoor and 25K+ seating capacity. Obviously owning the team now is a different financial animal from when they decided to pass. Thus MLSE is kicking the tires again.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    What have MLSE owned teams ever accomplished? Say no more! Plus the article states MLSE ownership has the NFL agenda attached. They don't give a rats ass about the CFL of argonauts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level

Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    What have MLSE owned teams ever accomplished? Say no more! Plus the article states MLSE ownership has the NFL agenda attached. They don't give a rats ass about the CFL or Argonauts.
    1) MLSE teams are financially viable, 2) they get beautiful facilities in which to play and watch sports, 3) they have the Toronto sports media eating out of their hand. In terms of championships, they're a bit of a dog playing against 30-or-so American franchises, but would likely have better success against 8 other CFL teams.

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If MLSE was in charge wouldn't Milanovich be on the hot seat by now?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    If MLSE was in charge wouldn't Milanovich be on the hot seat by now?
    Coaching is our strongest asset.....the on field failures this season are IMO due to lack of talent, or depth of talent..The O-Line just needs time, the defensive talent the argo's lost has not been replaced, it has in fact been downgraded.
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The way MLSE messes up the GM position with their other sports properties, Jim Barker may be in trouble!!! They would have trouble arranging a 1 car parade.

Seriously though, I have mixed feelings about this. The $$ MLSE has is very attractive, but I am still leary of them & don't feel they manage frachises well on the field.
    Last edited by gilthethrill; 09-05-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    Wow this guy is full of excuses! I love how this guy just makes it out like there is absolutely nothing that he can do to improve the attendance or perception of this team without getting a new stadium! If that is the case then why not just resign and apply again for the job when or if they get the new stadium. I took two friends to the game on Tuesday the only thing thing they were laughing about we're the Argos performance on the field and the crowd and lack of atomsphere to the game. The one postive thing I Hurd them say about the game that it was a nice night out to be at the Rogers centre with the roof open and cn tower lighting up in the background. The Rogers centre is not a bad place to watch football I think it is one of the better places to watch a football game the sightlines might not be the greatest but the stadium has everything else except the lack of atomsphere in the stadium that the Argos staff don't create. When pelley was there the stadium was electric stands full ,lots of noise etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    When pelley was there the stadium was electric stands full ,lots of noise etc.
    The stadium was even more electric, and even closer to capacity, when Leo Cahill was there in the early 1970s, so maybe we should bring him back instead of your beloved Pelley.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The stadium was even more electric, and even closer to capacity, when Leo Cahill was there in the early 1970s, so maybe we should bring him back instead of your beloved Pelley.
    Sure why not! Anything would be an upgrade to what we have now which is just a guy who is to lazy to put in some time and work for this team and to just make up any possible excuse to not getting the job done!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Sure why not! Anything would be an upgrade to what we have now which is just a guy who is to lazy to put in some time and work for this team and to just make up any possible excuse to not getting the job done!
    You just don't get it, do ya buddy. It costs money to draw more people to Argos games. It costs money to make the Skydome experience better. Advertising dollars, promotions dollars, it's a lot of money. Obviously RUDGE DOES NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND ON THESE THINGS. If he did, he would be spending it.

Braley saved the team, but he obviously doesn't want to spend very much on advertising and promotion. YOU SHOULD BE BLAMING BRALEY NOT RUDGE. Except that nobody wants to blame the saviour.

If you think that Rudge can do anything to draw more fans WITHOUT SPENDING MONEY, then you have no idea what you are talking about.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Actually, I was pleasantly surprised with the crowd on Tues. I thought for sure with such a crap date there wouldn't be anybody but the diehards.
    The mix of diehards and frosh made for a higher expectation.... i thought it was fun.
    It definitely is the age group that we want to attract. I would say they will get some students back in the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by dmont View Post

1) MLSE teams are financially viable, 2) they get beautiful facilities in which to play and watch sports, 3) they have the Toronto sports media eating out of their hand.
    A corollary of all three is that the Argonauts would gain instant credibility among the thousands of Torontonians who see the franchise as some kind of mom-and-pop bush league operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    Actually, I was pleasantly surprised with the crowd on Tues. I thought for sure with such a crap date there wouldn't be anybody but the diehards.
    The mix of diehards and frosh made for a higher expectation.... i thought it was fun.
    It definitely is the age group that we want to attract. I would say they will get some students back in the future.
    But if you take away the frosh freebies there were only 12,000 there, which is a depressing number from the darkest days. And I thought the crowd on the east side was dead compared to the one at the BC game. But what came first, the dead crowd or the football team that came out flat?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    A corollary of all three is that the Argonauts would gain instant credibility among the thousands of Torontonians who see the franchise as some kind of mom-and-pop bush league operation.
    Its too bad that many are puppets to the media. Personally I would not like to see the Argos become a part of MLSE. I am not sure that would be good for the CFL either. I am not sold on their new President Lie... He has to prove to me that he is not all bravado and no substance. (not that that is on his agenda)
    I think the Argos will become like the other teams ..... just there for dressing as the Leafs make their millions. Being the head of this type of consortium will bring waves of ... lets improve this , lets improve that ... but in the long run, the most important part will be .... have the Leafs make more monies, and the other teams losses will be our writeoffs to balance it all.
    And Mom and Pop operations can do well .... TO just has a hard time accepting that that is part of the Canadian character.

thats just my 2 cents worth ..... and I dont mind Rudge.... (is that trolling?)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    You just don't get it, do ya buddy. It costs money to draw more people to Argos games. It costs money to make the Skydome experience better. Advertising dollars, promotions dollars, it's a lot of money. Obviously RUDGE DOES NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO SPEND ON THESE THINGS. If he did, he would be spending it.

Braley saved the team, but he obviously doesn't want to spend very much on advertising and promotion. YOU SHOULD BE BLAMING BRALEY NOT RUDGE. Except that nobody wants to blame the saviour.

If you think that Rudge can do anything to draw more fans WITHOUT SPENDING MONEY, then you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Very well said, Rich.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Very well said, Rich.
    No, it's all lazy-assed Chris Rudge's fault, blah-blah-blah!!!

New Fan
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Here is an update from Leiweke, looks like they are looking at BMO right now http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=431233

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    I really wish they would sell those thundersticks at cost all over Rogers Center during day games. Right now twice a game they randomly choose 2 sections and throw some as freebies. Instead, just sell them for a loonie at every door and get half the crowd making some noise, in the last game it felt like i was the only one making any noise in my section.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level

Well then Braley has to be honest with himself if he isn't wanting to spend money on the game day operations and marketing of this team he has to go tell mark Cohen ASAP to start looking for a new owner. As far as rudge goes we don't need him to go around telling people how bad the Rogers centre is for football for the next five years and start putting in some effort on improving the image with this team. We also don't need him talking how the ml$e would be such great owners for the club, a real CEO would go find out how serious the Ml$e is with regards to owning the Argos and not just using them to bring in an nfl team to the city!

Quote Originally Posted by UnitedRulz View Post
    Here is an update from Leiweke, looks like they are looking at BMO right now http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=431233
    Yes thank you Tim leiweke a real CEO who gets the job done none of this garbage of we can't do this we can't do that! If that was rudge working for the ml$e he would just say it is not possible for bmo field to work for the Argos end of story!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I have to somewhat agree with Rocket. Rudge has by no means reinvented the wheel during his tenure. He has received a lot of credit for the 100gc but the league had a mandate and govt funding and with or without Rudge the 100 was going to be huge deal. I actually expected the club might make some serious moves to stabilize the franchise. I must admit i Am quite disappointed to hear that the team is renegotiating the sky dome deall for another half decade. At the very least I would hope that date availability is vastly improved.