Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Toronto is the worst sports town there is. As I've mentioned each team is pitted against each other to make for a whole gong show of a fractured sports scene. Hell you see Jays fans and TFC fans together with Argo fans on a GO Train and very little is said to each other if anything. I was wearing my Argo jersey out on Friday doing some running around and band wagon jumper Jay fans just look at you with a perplexed look.

I'm so sick of the disrespect The Argonauts get at every turn in Southern Ontario. We watch CFTO News and Joe Tilly is the only guy who gives a crap about the Argos. Bunch of dorks talk golf over Argos.
    It's called snobbery, I had my Argo cap on at the Jay game last Thursday and same deal.
    Keep flying the flag people!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Toronto is the worst sports town there is. As I've mentioned each team is pitted against each other to make for a whole gong show of a fractured sports scene. Hell you see Jays fans and TFC fans together with Argo fans on a GO Train and very little is said to each other if anything. I was wearing my Argo jersey out on Friday doing some running around and band wagon jumper Jay fans just look at you with a perplexed look.

I'm so sick of the disrespect The Argonauts get at every turn in Southern Ontario. We watch CFTO News and Joe Tilly is the only guy who gives a crap about the Argos. Bunch of dorks talk golf over Argos.
    You are bang on #1, the so called World Class city is anything but.
    Completely clueless and the worst sports town in Canada.
    And this is not because no one cares for the Argos or the CFL either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Some would say it is a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" type of question. I definitely believe it is the sports media in this city that continuously looks to American stories, having Americans on the radio every single day talking great detail about NFL training camps, or other American sports, and then they get to feel like they are part of that great sports world. If our guys spent half as much time talking about our own sports, there would be some interest. I really, really hate it when our own sports radio stations shut down their programming and simulcast some American programming. You know there will be absolutely zero talk about anything Canadian. I was really disappointed when I heard that on TSN radio. Of all places. I would expect that more on the Fan, which is a Rogers (p-tewy) front.
    So, I totally blame all those so called sports personalities we have on air here. (Except Mike Hogan, of course) They all just want to be part of the American sports scene.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoFan1 View Post
    Some would say it is a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" type of question. I definitely believe it is the sports media in this city that continuously looks to American stories, having Americans on the radio every single day talking great detail about NFL training camps, or other American sports, and then they get to feel like they are part of that great sports world. If our guys spent half as much time talking about our own sports, there would be some interest. I really, really hate it when our own sports radio stations shut down their programming and simulcast some American programming. You know there will be absolutely zero talk about anything Canadian. I was really disappointed when I heard that on TSN radio. Of all places. I would expect that more on the Fan, which is a Rogers (p-tewy) front.
    So, I totally blame all those so called sports personalities we have on air here. (Except Mike Hogan, of course) They all just want to be part of the American sports scene.
    I think that what you are saying here is a big part of the problem, ArgoFan1. Jim Lang - who once coined the phrase "Give me CFL or give death" - is a prime example of someone who got a taste of the American sports scene and it was enough to make him a proponent of having the NFL come to Toronto.

Another somewhat strange thing I noticed not long ago was when an ESPN sports figure died. It was someone I had never heard of and I suspect that 99% of Canadians had never heard of this individual. On Twitter though, I noticed that several in the Toronto sports media people paid homage to this individual and acted like they knew him well. It was a seemingly small thing but it does underlie this notion that many in the Toronto sports media see themselves as belonging to the American/world class/major league club rather than with their Canadian colleagues which I have no doubt plays into the minimal coverage that the Argos/CFL get in Toronto.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    So I was listening to TSN radio .... The little that I do now ( does Barker or
    Milanovich ever get on besides ArgosAllAccess ) often find I am turning it off....

A golf reporter was talking about the sad state of affairs with many sports reporters. Specifically in regards to following golf and Tiger Woods, but he said it goes for all the sports.
    He commented that these reporters are like the kids in the candy store.... They go for the biggest and most colourful sucker in the place to lick. ..... Meaning that it's the easiest choice. They go for the Tiger Woods because everyone will read it and they can rehash previous commentary, and there isn't much work to do .... No investigative reporting..... No trying to get interest from the readers.... No talent needed!

Whoa.... Perfectly fits our environment .... And this comes from a sportswriter himself. ...... I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule .....( sorry can't remember the name .... Partsheimers)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes the world is becoming a sad place indeed. For the most part, it makes sense to live counter culturally (to value family over money, etc.) and cheering for the Argos and the CFL right now fits into that category. Lots of society is going to follow what the media is telling them and the world believes that the NFL is bigger and better. We all know that this is only because of NFL's money/marketing/hype. The game itself is different but certainly not better and neither are majority of the the players. For me, I love football and the Argonauts are a team I love but I also really like the Seahawks.
    The biggest difference for me and why I love one and only like the other is also because of money. It's unbelievable to me that a quarterback can make 24 million a year or that a safety who signed for 6 million a season 2 years ago is holding out for more with 3 years left on his contract. Meanwhile the CFL has guys like Kackert making a couple of hundred dollars on a practice roster and having an incredible comeback. The CFL has more players playing because they love the game and being a part of something and there are far fewer selfish players who only view themselves as a brand. Those who know will always appreciate this about the CFL and those who don't are simply a product of our times.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Yes the world is becoming a sad place indeed. For the most part, it makes sense to live counter culturally (to value family over money, etc.) and cheering for the Argos and the CFL right now fits into that category. Lots of society is going to follow what the media is telling them and the world believes that the NFL is bigger and better. We all know that this is only because of NFL's money/marketing/hype. The game itself is different but certainly not better and neither are majority of the the players. For me, I love football and the Argonauts are a team I love but I also really like the Seahawks.
    The biggest difference for me and why I love one and only like the other is also because of money. It's unbelievable to me that a quarterback can make 24 million a year or that a safety who signed for 6 million a season 2 years ago is holding out for more with 3 years left on his contract. Meanwhile the CFL has guys like Kackert making a couple of hundred dollars on a practice roster and having an incredible comeback. The CFL has more players playing because they love the game and being a part of something and there are far fewer selfish players who only view themselves as a brand. Those who know will always appreciate this about the CFL and those who don't are simply a product of our times.
    Great post Stevoman.

Multi million dollar players complaining that they deserve more has really turned me off the other leagues as well. I still love my Leafs, and do enjoy the NFL, but they are a distant 2nd in terms of my sports preference to the CFL.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    ...Lots of society is going to follow what the media is telling them and the world believes that the NFL is bigger and better. We all know that this is only because of NFL's money/marketing/hype. The game itself is different but certainly not better and neither are majority of the the players....
    The biggest difference for me and why I love one and only like the other is also because of money. It's unbelievable to me that a quarterback can make 24 million a year or that a safety who signed for 6 million a season 2 years ago is holding out for more with 3 years left on his contract. Meanwhile the CFL has guys like Kackert making a couple of hundred dollars on a practice roster and having an incredible comeback. The CFL has more players playing because they love the game and being a part of something and there are far fewer selfish players who only view themselves as a brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Great post Stevoman.

Multi million dollar players complaining that they deserve more has really turned me off the other leagues as well. I still love my Leafs, and do enjoy the NFL, but they are a distant 2nd in terms of my sports preference to the CFL.
    Here, Here! These two perspectives pretty much sum up my view of, and interest in, professional sports today.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Dionte Spencer on TSN Radio

I was surprised nobody mentioned this so I will. Dionte Spencer was on the Thursday Afternoon drive on TSN 1050 at about 3 pm with Mike Hogan, which is no surprise and Brian Hayes, (the older Hayes, not the younger one who usually hosts and is guaranteed to never bring up the Argos let alone the CFL) I may have got his first name wrong.

I was a little miffed by how the hosts try to engage the audience, and a little disappointed seeing that the CFL is one of the major broadcast properties of TSN/Bell media. They made the connection of Spencer to a present member of the Blue Jays (Ryan Goins) and discussed that at length. It was a bit conversational, a little interesting, which is fine but is that all the Argos are worth in discussion. (A token mention is what it seemed to be as much a discussion about the Blue Jays) I don't think so, as I think this team and its' fans are undercovered and underserved. This type of coverage does not necessarily help. When Hayes was told by Spencer that Goins has invited him to games and that the Jays have not lost when he's been in attendance, Hayes actually begged Spencer if he could be in Anaheim for the Angels series...wow, great passion, he could have at least extended some of that to Spencer's team mentioning when their next game was and that he should check it out. I know Hogie is passionate about the Argos, he's the only guy on TSN radio remotely connected to the Argos, and the only one who'd ever think about talking Argo football.

I just don't think they should start a conversation with an Argo player by saying, you're not the most popular team in town and everybody is talking about the Blue Jays. That's akin to telling listeners, this is not important, turn the dial for a few minutes... to me it's just a strange and humble way to sell the team if you can even call it that. You would never hear Gareth Wheeler say that in discussing TFC and a lot of people really don't watch or follow them or the their league. Their in-game attendance is not much more than the Argos, maybe even less when you consider that BMO has less seats, and plenty are empty. (I don't think 8,000 fans are at the concessions throughout the game, and they announce seats sold) I know because I've been to several regular season games and seen others on TV, it's not full. Let's not even compare TV ratings which clearly shows that Canadian Football is still more popular, even in S. Ontario, than MLS soccer despite the lack of, or at best, indifferent Toronto coverage.

For a station, that says they're the voice of the Argos let's hear a little bit more from several on-air personalities and not just Mike Hogan, although I thank him because without him, the team does not exist on TSN 1050 until they have to broadcast a game which he announces. I know Hogie reads this board and the comments are not meant as a criticism, but more about an impression I get when listening to the station. It's as if they need to apologize because they're talking about the Argos and with some on-air personalities it's forced...god knows they'd probably prefer to cover the Arizona Cardinals training camp or a stupid NFL training camp fight in scrimmage.

TSN 1150 in Hamilton is due to start on Labour Day September 7 at 10 am (how appropriate for a sports radio channel from Hamilton?) and I receive their signal very well in my vehicle. If the Toronto sports stations don't shape up in giving the Argos and the CFL their just coverage based on TV ratings, interest and in-game attendance. (20,000 is still enough to fill the ACC) then I'll have no hesitation to getting my radio sports fix from 1150 when I don't want listen to music or news.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Just don't become a Ticsts fan!

It's true, the
    Argos are rarely mentioned on TSN anymore. Do they ever get the early morning spot on
    Wednesday's anymore? I haven't heard it.
    Thankful we have the
    Argos access but I go online to get that as I work
    Monday nights.... So 1050 has been turned off more than on this summer ..... But I guess I'm not in their focus age group.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argocister View Post
    Just don't become a Ticsts fan!

It's true, the
    Argos are rarely mentioned on TSN anymore. Do they ever get the early morning spot on
    Wednesday's anymore? I haven't heard it.
    Thankful we have the
    Argos access but I go online to get that as I work
    Monday nights.... So 1050 has been turned off more than on this summer ..... But I guess I'm not in their focus age group.
    I always listened to the Fan back in the day (Hogan, Stellick, Shulman) and the like, recently switched to 1050 expecting the Argos to be front and centre (for obvious reasons) and so far have been hugely disappointed, mainly get my radio fix on Sirius radio, the Fan has no likeable on air personalities left and the whole station sucks IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well around 8:25 AM this morning Dean Blundell was making fun of the Argonauts and the CFL again on his FAN590 morning show.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ma Nishtana

I do recall Blundell & Co. being pretty positive about the 100th when he was still with Edge (Corus).
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Well around 8:25 AM this morning Dean Blundell was making fun of the Argonauts and the CFL again on his FAN590 morning show.
    Serves you right for listening to that station in the first place.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Ma Nishtana

I do recall Blundell & Co. being pretty positive about the 100th when he was still with Edge (Corus).
    You are correct. He was positive back then. I don't listen to the Fan any longer. Making fun of the team is way offside given what they have had to put up with. This team could easily have mailed it in this year given all of the off-field issues and scheduling. Yet they are a first place team. This warrants being made fun of? What comes around goes around. Stick to the high road. The Rogers attitude is arrogant and most people will see that. Anyone listening to that and understanding what the team has accomplished this season cannot take their words seriously. It is a wonder their is any attendance whatsoever given the zero coverage by audio/visual media.

NO HUGGING OF ROGERS ONLY MALACHI CRUNCHING OF ROGERS!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level

What is the deal with TSN 1050 Radio

They cover the games and Mike Hogan does All Access. There is no beat guy covering the Argos everyday. Hogan is not able to do this. They don't have segments with league insiders anymore or TSN analysts like Dunigan and Suitor. Dave Naylor is a CFL insider for TSN yet rarely discusses the Argos. In season they should be discussed each day. Matt Cauz is a CFL analyst and rarely discusses the Argos, yet professes to love them on his CFL blogs. Where is Mike Richards? I know he likes the Argos, I have seen him many times at the dome. I have been told that Mike specifically has been told by management NOT to talk Argos. Why?

This network does a good job covering the games. They are a part owner in the ARgos. It is all Blue Jays all the time now, teh city has 2 first place teams. Why can it not handle covering both?

MALACHI CRUNCH ROGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Where have you been the last many years?
    Other then the game and a very little sprinkling to include the GC, TSN is as bad as The Fan.
    Both US wannabe factors with everything but CFL talk.
    Did I mention hockey/hockey nearly 24/7 talk?

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:

Level
    Let me state categorically that I have never been told by management to not talk Argos.

I hosted two midday segments last week and had Chris Rudge on one day and Diontae Spencer on the other day.

Thanks.

Hogan

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post
    Let me state categorically that I have never been told by management to not talk Argos.

I hosted two midday segments last week and had Chris Rudge on one day and Diontae Spencer on the other day.

Thanks.

Hogan
    And we thank you for that Hogie.

It is a shame though that you are the only on air personality that has a regular Argo segment on your show. I'm hoping this changes next year when Bell and Tanenbaum take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray
    Where is Mike Richards? I know he likes the Argos, I have seen him many times at the dome. I have been told that Mike specifically has been told by management NOT to talk Argos
    I don't buy that. I think each individual host has and their producers make calls on guests. Richards was on sick leave, as he had some sort of surgery back in the spring. He is scheduled to return in the next few weeks.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As I've said before I have been incredibly disappointed in TSN 1050! Aside from broadcasting the games, Argos All Access and Hogie, Argonauts talk is non existent. Football Fridays don't even start until the NFL season starts and even then they barely even mention the CFL.

Then as mentioned in another Thread you have people like Steve Simmons taking shots at the Argonauts and the CFL.

I honestly think that I hear more Argonauts / CFL talk on the FAN590.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hogan View Post

Thanks.

Hogan
    I think that he was referring to Mike Richards not you.