Hybrid View

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Tyler Holmes Signs!

Argo website has announced the club has signed Tyler Holmes to the practice roster.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Just saw that on TSN's website too. Joel Reinders was released. I guess he didn't progress as well as hoped.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's about time. Hopefully he's focused on helping the Argos and has given up the NFL dream for now.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Good news! But I have to temper my high hopes thinking back to when Reinders signed. I thought he would have been a starter by this year. But I'm sure Joel will get picked up quickly by another team. Big Canadian OL's are like gold in the CFL. But the fact Barker couldn't get at least a middle round draft pick for him makes you wonder.

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Joel Reinders has been released which I find odd. He only came in halfway last year and took a few reps on the line.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Shame about Reinders. Guess he proved to be too much of a project -- not all that surprising given that he has played something like 10 games in his entire football career. If he still wants to try, though, I agree he is likely to be picked up by somebody. Winnipeg sure needs help on the o-line -- hope this isn't similar to when the Alouettes released Walby and the Bombers snapped him up.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Shame about Reinders. Guess he proved to be too much of a project -- not all that surprising given that he has played something like 10 games in his entire football career. If he still wants to try, though, I agree he is likely to be picked up by somebody. Winnipeg sure needs help on the o-line -- hope this isn't similar to when the Alouettes released Walby and the Bombers snapped him up.
    I think that you hit the nail on the head, Paul, regarding Reinders' lack of football experience. OV has often talked about the perils of falling in love with a player's evaluation camp performance and not looking enough at the actual football that they have played. While Reinders has good size and scored well at the e-camp, it doesn't necessarily equate into him being a pro player who can perform at a high level in game action.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Canadian O-Line talent looks promising for many years to come.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Great news about Holmes for sure. With the surprise release of Reinders, all of a sudden our 2010 draft is not looking quite as bountiful. If I am not mistaken, only big Joe Eppelle remains. I totally expected Grant Shaw, Reinders & Michael Turner to be with this team for years to come. I suppose Cory Greenwood may still appear down the road however.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Great news about Holmes for sure. With the surprise release of Reinders, all of a sudden our 2010 draft is not looking quite as bountiful. If I am not mistaken, only big Joe Eppelle remains. I totally expected Grant Shaw, Reinders & Michael Turner to be with this team for years to come. I suppose Cory Greenwood may still appear down the road however.
    Spencer Watt?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    As Mulder mentioned, we still have Spencer Watt from that draft and Shaw was turned into Ricky Ray so I would classify that draft as a huge success just on that move alone.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 897
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    As Mulder mentioned, we still have Spencer Watt from that draft and Shaw was turned into Ricky Ray so I would classify that draft as a huge success just on that move alone.
    My mistake on Watt..for some reason I thought he was drafted in 2011....you are right about the Shaw move....dumb post on my behalf all around.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    I hope Holmes gets a real shot to play OT and is not just converted to a guard because he is a NI; however - i hope he fits in anywhere on the Argo O-line for the future; really like they young Argo OT King this year, and IMO his play is outstanding and he should be up for ROY (probably going to go to Ellingson with the Ticats though - receiver stats speak way louder than O-Line play to most); King and Holmes could be twin lynchpins at OT for the Argo O_line for years perhaps (sorta like Bourke & Perrett have been for the Als); like to see Holmes get a shot to play at least some reps this year and maybe he could be starting by season end?

Reinders getting flat out released i don't get ??? - put him on the PR or IR even and hope you can talk some CFL team into making some sort of deal - even a late round draft pick; the Lions, Bombers and Esks are all thin or weak at O-line IMO and might have been tempted to make a deal eventually.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 09-17-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I hope Holmes gets a real shot to play OT and is not just converted to a guard because he is a NI; however - i hope he fits in anywhere on the Argo O-line for the future; really like they young Argo OT King this year, and IMO his play is outstanding and he should be up for ROY (probably going to go to Ellingson with the Ticats though - receiver stats speak way louder than O-Line play to most); King and Holmes could be twin lynchpins at OT for the Argo O_line for years perhaps (sorta like Bourke & Perrett have been for the Als); like to see Holmes get a shot to play at least some reps this year and maybe he could be starting by season end?

Reinders getting flat out released i don't get ??? - put him on the PR or IR even and hope you can talk some CFL team into making some sort of deal - even a late round draft pick; the Lions, Bombers and Esks are all thin or weak at O-line IMO and might have been tempted to make a deal eventually.
    Don't forget Matt Sewell who's natural position is Left Tackle, one of the young guns on the O-Line will be shirting positions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Don't forget Matt Sewell who's natural position is Left Tackle, one of the young guns on the O-Line will be shirting positions.

Yeah - i keep forgetting about Sewell - a natural OT, accomplished CIS all-star there and huge.

The Argos could have riches on the O-line in the future possibly; still really like King as a stud at OT and don't want to see him replaced just for the sake of having NIs play there - unless the likes of Holmes and/or Sewell show they are better; and Holmes - a proven OT in Div. I US college ball could possibly be a better interior O-Line project (i think the Vikings had him at guard) compared to Sewell.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    The coaches have seen Reinders for a full year now. I assume they concluded he was not going to develop into a starter any time soon. And space had to be made for Holmes. If Reinders ends up playing somewhere we will regret this decision, but I think that's fairly unlikely given the fact that he has basically seen almost no live action in three seasons.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The coaches have seen Reinders for a full year now. I assume they concluded he was not going to develop into a starter any time soon. And space had to be made for Holmes. If Reinders ends up playing somewhere we will regret this decision, but I think that's fairly unlikely given the fact that he has basically seen almost no live action in three seasons.
    Why could Reinders have not gone to the PR ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The Argos probably just didn't think he was worth using a PR spot on. They have had him on the one-game IR all season after he played during the preseason and were not satisfied with his progress.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Argos probably just didn't think he was worth using a PR spot on. They have had him on the one-game IR all season after he played during the preseason and were not satisfied with his progress.
    So - the Argos have a whole whack of potential superstars occupying the PR now ?

And since NI O-lineman are often "prized" by your typical CFL thinker, you'd think Reinders - once considered a top prospect, got some NFL looks, huge - might have drawn at least some CFL interest from one of the many CFL teams in O-Line need? - apparently not, and maybe they all agree with the Argos coaching staff about his lack of "progress" (did the Argos O_line coach opine this somewhere?)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm guessing he refused if the Argos offered that.