Reply to Thread
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Robert Baker In Trouble

Former Auburn receiver bitten at by Uga V pleads to federal drug, gun charges

By Joe Johnsonupdated Wednesday, October 2, 2013 - 10:35pm

Former Auburn University wide receiver Robert Baker became part of University of Georgia lore nearly two decades ago when UGA mascot Uga V lunged at him after he scored a touchdown.
    The iconic photograph that captured the moment in 1996 has been widely displayed by UGA fans and a video of the near attack has been played on the video board at Sanford Stadium.
    Now, after a brief and disappointing NFL career marred by drug arrests, Baker faces a possible penalty of life in prison after pleading guilty Tuesday to federal heroin trafficking and firearms charges.
    Baker, 37, was stopped by a Lowndes County sheriff’s deputy on Jan. 20 because his car’s windows were illegally tinted, according to court records. The deputy noticed a large amount of cash in the car and a subsequent search turned up 59.5 grams of heroin and a 9mm semiautomatic pistol.
    As part of his plea of guilty on Tuesday, Baker admitted he possessed the heroin for distribution and he was carrying the pistol in furtherance of his drug trafficking crime, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Georgia.
    “Mr. Baker made a terrible mistake when he chose to traffic illegal drugs, and particularly when he brought a gun along to help him do so,” U.S. Attorney Michael Moore said in the release. “He will have a long time to reflect on that mistake in federal prison.”
    Baker only played two years at Auburn before he was declared academically ineligible prior to the 1997 season. He played for a few years with the Miami Dolphins and professionally in Europe and Canada.
    Authorities said Baker began his life as a drug dealer in 1998, but he entered UGA history two years earlier.
    The 1996 Auburn-Georgia game, the 100th in the series, was an epic battle still talked about to this day. The Bulldogs — some say inspired by their mascot — staged an amazing comeback and tied the game on the last play of regulation.
    It was the first SEC game ever to go into overtime. Rallying from a 21-point first half deficit, Georgia won 56-49 in four overtime periods.
    On the final play of the first quarter of the game, Baker scored on a 6-yard pass, giving Auburn a 14-7 lead. As Baker reached the back of the end zone and prepared to celebrate, Uga V leaped at the player and strained at his leash. It was reported that the dog’s lunge forced Baker into a defensive dance step that made him appear as if he was trying to avoid an open manhole during a full sprint.
    Charles Seiler, Uga’s caretaker, was reported at the time as saying that Uga V was just being playful. His mother, Cecelia Seiler, reportedly suggested that the dog was being protective. She and her husband, Sonny Seiler, have owned and bred the line of UGA mascots since the late 1950s.
    That moment during the 1996 Georgia-Auburn game placed Uga V in the national spotlight, and the next year he was later featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated when the magazine proclaimed Uga to be the nation’s best college mascot.
    “His incredible reaction in the Auburn game separated him from the other Ugas,” former UGA head football coach Vince Dooley said at the time. “No other dog had ever expressed himself in such a competitive way as he did in a ball game that caught a lot of national attention.”
    Between 1999 and 2003, Baker was with the Miami Dolphins, spending equal time on the active and injured reserve rosters and the practice squad. After being cut, he briefly played for the Frankfurt Galaxy of NFL Europe then signed with the Canadian Football Leagues’s Toronto Argonauts in 2004. Baker retired from professional football in 2006 to pursue a career in rap music under the name Shake Severs.

http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2...ug-gun-charges
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    boooooooooooooooooo not good

Achievements:
    Level
    Not sure if this was him but I remember a former CFLer who started a youth mentorship thing just a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it was Baker so this is disappointing to hear.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Not sure if this was him but I remember a former CFLer who started a youth mentorship thing just a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure it was Baker so this is disappointing to hear.
    I would be surprised if that were Baker.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Bakers youth mentorship or Drug Pusher Program. Guess it wasn't much of a success as he even failed at dealing it himself. Knew I'd have a chance of seeing him on Cops one day. Scum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I would be surprised if that were Baker.
    It is. I actually saw this via facebook https://www.facebook.com/Furturemenslifeclub

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    It is. I actually saw this via facebook https://www.facebook.com/Furturemenslifeclub
    I am surprised!
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Read Steve Simmons comment on Baker in today's Toronto Sun (Simmons Says).

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is what he said:

Years ago, when Robert Baker surrounded me — along with other receivers in the Argos locker room — in an attempt to intimidate, one of the Argos PR people whispered in my ear afterwards that he was the wrong person to pick a fight with. I took the advice. “He’s the kind of guy who could be carrying a gun at any time,” an Argos voice told me then. Not surprised this week to learn that Baker, who had previously done time in prison, stands to spend considerable time in jail after pleading guilty to trafficking heroin and gun charges in Georgia
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    This is what he said:
    If true I would have still not have written that if I was Simmons. If I was a writer and was told something in my ear, I would never use it in an article and respect the fact that it was just between me and the PR staff. Could make the PR staff look bad, especially if they are still employed. Oh well that's Simmons for you.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Attempt to intimidate? Dudes like that do not attempt to intimidate. More likely considering whether you were worth the time in the joint he'd have to serve if he continued.

he was the wrong person to pick a fight with
    So Simmons started it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If true I would have still not have written that if I was Simmons. If I was a writer and was told something in my ear, I would never use it in an article and respect the fact that it was just between me and the PR staff. Could make the PR staff look bad, especially if they are still employed. Oh well that's Simmons for you.
    I disagree. It happened, and I very much doubt there was any agreement at the time that it was off the record. "Off the record" has to be agreed to in advance by both parties. Unless that was done (which is extremely unlikely), Simmons would have been well within his rights to report on it at the time, but presumably chose not to do so. The PR person was Eric Holmes, who is still on the Argo staff. I know that because Simmons identified him by name when he recounted this story on Naylor's show last week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    So Simmons started it.
    That's a complete misread of the story, but regardless -- would you prefer that reporters never delve into matters that some prefer stay private? Would you prefer that columnists never express an opinion? If that's "starting it," I'm all for it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Here is an update on Baker including that he would like to apologize to the people of Toronto: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...harges-in-u-s/

Prefontaine's opinion is particularly interesting and you can also see a clip of the infamous Baker/Prefontaine incident from 2005.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 11-15-2013 at 12:49 AM.