Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
Again, who will pay for this temporary stadium at Downsview that you speak of? It won't be any level of government and it won't be David Braley. Who is left?
I projected the cost of a 20,000-seat temporary grandstand at Downsview at $10M (the Lions built a 27,500-seat temp. stadium for $14.4M which included FieldTurf and locker rooms, which are already in place at Downsview).

There were several posters on this forum who suggested the Argos, Braley or CFL should give $10M to MLSE to facilitate BMO's renovation. Few said that that was impossible? At Downsview, the Argos would have their own stadium, own signage, sponsorship and naming rights revenue. MLSE might be enticed by controlling 5,000 parking spots on the site, for example, not only for Argo games but concerts, community events, Vanier Cups, Grey Cups, Rugby nationals, CSA (who are teaming up with the CFL to launch a new Canadian soccer league), Metro and College Bowls (which require a CFL field) etc.

There are almost no events other than TFC games at BMO due to their restrictive union contracts and desire not to damage their grass field. Truly there is a need for a outdoor football stadium in Toronto.

Build it and they will come!

I guess if the Argos can't invest $10M or have some level of government chip in, they don't deserve to exist, I guess. Even the Ticats ($25M), Riders ($40M), Bombers ($100M), Als (approx. $10M) made cash investments towards their new stadiums...the Argos should be no different.

Another option is for the Argos to borrow the money, like the Bombers did. The Riders and Esks are sitting on about $100M in cash reserves, perhaps they could loan the Argos the money? Or introduce a revenue-sharing plan in the CFL which would see the more successful teams support the "small-markets?" Other leagues do this, why not the CFL?

The CFL having a team in Toronto is crucial for the league and TSN's TV contract. Coming up with $10M to provide the Argos with a stadium to play in should not be prohibitive for the franchise to remain in business. What's the alternative? No football stadium and no football team in the 4th-biggest TV market in North America?