View Poll Results: Where should the new Argonauts Stadium be located?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richmond Hill

3 5.26%
  • Markham

3 5.26%
  • Vaughan

7 12.28%
  • Woodbine Racetrack

4 7.02%
  • York University

2 3.51%
  • Downsview

13 22.81%
  • BMO Field

19 33.33%
  • Other

6 10.53%
Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Downsview makes the most sense to me as well. I can get on the GO for BMO or the RC no problem, but sometimes begrudge that hour both ways. It will be longer to BMO. But gone are the days of driving to the EX grounds on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with not much traffic especially with the continual construction.
    Downsview would be the closest to how things used to be at the EX for parking etc. Why not shuttle buses for people in some of the downtown areas. It seemed to work out ok in Ottawa this year. Park at a few designated places and bus to the Stadium. I took in a game in Ottawa this year and the bus shuttle worked fine.
    But as PW says the big IF is who will fund a Stadium. The City and Province are so cash strapped even though the money wasted on the Pan Am games and other Provincial Government gaffes could have built several Stadiums.
    Downsview is still pretty difficult to drive to, the last few kilometers are a tough drive. 400 & 7 is close by and is an easier drive IMO. Plus it will only be a couple more TTC Subway stops to get there on transit. Regardless it appears to be BMO Field or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    Went for a walk by the Lake this morning. Reminded me of Playoff weather at the EX. South West wind howling off the Lake feeling colder than it really was. But we will all be happy back outside at BMO. lol
    Yeah I think people will be right back to wishing for a Domed Stadium during the late season games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Longtime Argo fan who grew up in Burlington.My wife and daughter are TiCat fans, it's a fun rivalry.
    We went to our first game at Tim Horton’s Field for the eastern final.One word “WOW”.
    The stadium is great.Great views, amazing atmosphere, very loud.You know you’re in the Ticats stadium, and the fans have taken a ‘This is our house’ attitude that will make it difficult for all visiting teams.
    From an Argo fan perspective…only envy.IMO they are dead in the water if they don’t secure a new venue to play.Their own stadium to duplicate what the Ticats have would be great, but I agree it’s a fantasy.So the next best thing would be BMO.Even though we would still be tenants, it would provide a fresh new experience for Argo games to build on.

I guess we can only sit and wait.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    Longtime Argo fan who grew up in Burlington.My wife and daughter are TiCat fans, it's a fun rivalry.
    We went to our first game at Tim Horton’s Field for the eastern final.One word “WOW”.
    The stadium is great.Great views, amazing atmosphere, very loud.You know you’re in the Ticats stadium, and the fans have taken a ‘This is our house’ attitude that will make it difficult for all visiting teams.
    From an Argo fan perspective…only envy.IMO they are dead in the water if they don’t secure a new venue to play.Their own stadium to duplicate what the Ticats have would be great, but I agree it’s a fantasy.So the next best thing would be BMO.Even though we would still be tenants, it would provide a fresh new experience for Argo games to build on.

I guess we can only sit and wait.
    Same as my situation, we are a football divided family, wife and 11 year son Ticat fans, 9 year old son and myself Argonaut fans and we have fun with it all season. As mentioned in another thread just purchased Ticat seasons as we are moving west from Burlington. Tim Horton Field is a great football experience, hopefully a change in venue does the same for the Argonauts, they deserve better and so do the fans!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Again, who will pay for this temporary stadium at Downsview that you speak of? It won't be any level of government and it won't be David Braley. Who is left?
    I projected the cost of a 20,000-seat temporary grandstand at Downsview at $10M (the Lions built a 27,500-seat temp. stadium for $14.4M which included FieldTurf and locker rooms, which are already in place at Downsview).

There were several posters on this forum who suggested the Argos, Braley or CFL should give $10M to MLSE to facilitate BMO's renovation. Few said that that was impossible? At Downsview, the Argos would have their own stadium, own signage, sponsorship and naming rights revenue. MLSE might be enticed by controlling 5,000 parking spots on the site, for example, not only for Argo games but concerts, community events, Vanier Cups, Grey Cups, Rugby nationals, CSA (who are teaming up with the CFL to launch a new Canadian soccer league), Metro and College Bowls (which require a CFL field) etc.

There are almost no events other than TFC games at BMO due to their restrictive union contracts and desire not to damage their grass field. Truly there is a need for a outdoor football stadium in Toronto.

Build it and they will come!

I guess if the Argos can't invest $10M or have some level of government chip in, they don't deserve to exist, I guess. Even the Ticats ($25M), Riders ($40M), Bombers ($100M), Als (approx. $10M) made cash investments towards their new stadiums...the Argos should be no different.

Another option is for the Argos to borrow the money, like the Bombers did. The Riders and Esks are sitting on about $100M in cash reserves, perhaps they could loan the Argos the money? Or introduce a revenue-sharing plan in the CFL which would see the more successful teams support the "small-markets?" Other leagues do this, why not the CFL?

The CFL having a team in Toronto is crucial for the league and TSN's TV contract. Coming up with $10M to provide the Argos with a stadium to play in should not be prohibitive for the franchise to remain in business. What's the alternative? No football stadium and no football team in the 4th-biggest TV market in North America?

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Problem is that some don't deal in reality.
    No kidding. ^

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I projected the cost of a 20,000-seat temporary grandstand at Downsview at $10M (the Lions built a 27,500-seat temp. stadium for $14.4M which included FieldTurf and locker rooms, which are already in place at Downsview).
    Since you keep raising this, let me keep raising my response. The temporary stadium the Lions used was not even remotely close to CFL-calibre. Fully half of the seats -- yes, half -- were BEHIND THE GOAL LINES. And of course washrooms were in portables, few concession stands, etc. It was a useful short-term measure that was needed during a stadium reno, but if anyone tried to build that as a permanent home for the Argos, the franchise would be dead three years later.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    New stadium set to welcome fans
    Jeff Hodson Metro Vancouver

Almost two decades after the demolition of Empire Stadium, a new temporary stadium opens this weekend on the grounds of the storied venue.

The $14-million, 27,500-seat and yet unnamed stadium hosts its inaugural event Sunday when the B.C. Lions take on the Edmonton Eskimos in their second of two pre-season games.

Dylan Tomlin, a Lions fan who toured the stadium last weekend, said he was excited at the prospect of watching the Lions outdoors in an intimate setting.

“Getting a glimpse last Sunday was great,” Tomlin said. “But seeing the players on the field and realizing how close and intimate the atmosphere is going to be will be something special.”

The stadium will be the home of the Lions and Whitecaps while a new retractable roof is fitted on B.C. Place.

Howard Crosley, general manager of B.C. Place, said fans for the most part will be happy with the temporary facility.

“We always hope for nice weather,” said Crosley, who will be attending the game as a fan.

“But it is Vancouver. We expect that there may be a rainy game or two, but I think people are up for it.”

Diane Douglas, secretary of the Lion Backers fan club, grew up on outdoor football in Saskatchewan.

“Everything is very close,” said Douglas, who also toured the stadium last week. “You don’t feel so far away from the players and what’s happening on the field.”

Other stories
    Updated: Empire Field turf, concessions, even Lions’ honour ring ready to go
    Empire Field provides great sightlines, great atmosphere

Temporary stadium completed in time for BC Lions’ first home game Sunday
    June 18, 2010

Vancouver, BC (June 18, 2010): New field turf and lighting upgrades made at Empire Fields in Vancouver will be a permanent legacy for amateur sports in BC, announced Honourable Kevin Krueger, Minister of Tourism, Culture and the Arts.

The high-quality artificial turf playing surface installed as part of the temporary outdoor stadium at the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE) will remain, and be available for future users of Empire Fields. In addition, new lighting installed at Empire Fields will also remain as an additional legacy, once the now-completed temporary stadium is disassembled and removed. Altogether, these legacy items are valued at $2.8 million dollars.

The temporary stadium was built by BC Pavilion Corporation (PavCo) to accommodate all BC Lions home games in 2010, and the first games of Vancouver Whitecaps FC when they join Major League Soccer (MLS) in 2011. The temporary facility is required as BC Place remains closed from now until the summer of 2011 to permit construction of its new retractable roof.

“Since the plan to build the temporary stadium also required PavCo to return the original playing field once the temporary stadium is removed, it made sense to leave the new turf field and accompanying lighting in place, leaving Empire Fields in even better playing condition than when we started,” said Krueger, the Minister responsible for PavCo, the Crown Corporation which owns and manages both BC Place and the Vancouver Convention Centre. “It will be a legacy that allows amateur teams to make use of a high-quality field all year long.”

The $14 million temporary stadium contract with Nussli Special Events (Canada) was completed on time and on budget, with all costs covered by PavCo’s operating budget. The stadium will be in full operation for the first time this Sunday, June 20th, when the BC Lions host the Edmonton Eskimos in a pre-season CFL match. The temporary stadium has 20,500 covered seats, 7,000 additional end zone bench seats and 12 hospitality suites.

The outdoor stadium will also be an additional special events venue during the PNE’s 100th anniversary this year. Operation of the Empire Fields stadium will be managed by the PNE.

“On behalf of Vancouver City Council, I would like to thank the Province of British Columbia and PavCo for this wonderful gift to the citizens of the city,” said Councillor Raymond Louie, who also chairs the PNE Board of Directors. “This all weather field will be a great addition to the City of Vancouver’s extensive inventory of playing facilities, and with it, Empire Fields will be able to host many tournaments and other sporting events for years to come.”

The old Empire Stadium site at the PNE is well-known as the first home of the BC Lions, before they moved to BC Place in 1983. It was also the original home of the Vancouver Whitecaps. About BC Place BC Place is the largest sports, exhibition and entertainment venue of its kind in British Columbia, hosting the province’s most notable events, including the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games, and the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 Paralympic Winter Games.

When it re-opens in 2011, BC Place will be the new home of the Vancouver Whitecaps FC, and will continue to be home to the BC Lions Football Club, the 2011 CFL Grey Cup and many other exhibitions, community and entertainment events.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    The temporary stadium has 20,500 covered seats, 7,000 additional end zone bench seats and 12 hospitality suites.
    That would appear to be correct. To my eye and by my informal count at the game I attended, approximately 7,000 of the covered seats appeared to be behind the goal lines. The benches were in the back of the end zone; the seats I'm talking about ran down the sides, from goal-lines to back walls.