View Poll Results: Where should the new Argonauts Stadium be located?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richmond Hill

3 5.26%
  • Markham

3 5.26%
  • Vaughan

7 12.28%
  • Woodbine Racetrack

4 7.02%
  • York University

2 3.51%
  • Downsview

13 22.81%
  • BMO Field

19 33.33%
  • Other

6 10.53%
Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I agree. Before that announcement it was common knowledge they might install natural grass, not that they definitively would.
    I disagree. It was common knowledge that the Blue Jays were going to install grass.

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    What about Lamport stadium? You could tear it down and rebuild it to meet CFL size and increase the seating (the size of the lot could easily fit this). You might lose the parking lot on the south side of the stadium in order to fit the end zones and end zone seating, but there's quite a few public parking lots in that area. Plus you would still have access to the Go train station and better access to the Dufferin St bus and King St streetcar lines.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    What about Lamport stadium? You could tear it down and rebuild it to meet CFL size and increase the seating (the size of the lot could easily fit this). You might lose the parking lot on the south side of the stadium in order to fit the end zones and end zone seating, but there's quite a few public parking lots in that area. Plus you would still have access to the Go train station and better access to the Dufferin St bus and King St streetcar lines.
    There's not enough space to build a 29,000 seat stadium there. And there's no where near enough parking and limited highway access and no subway access. Plus Lamport is owned by the city.

Braley has already said that he's looking at North Toronto, Vaughan, Markham and maybe Mississauga.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:

Level
    The Lamport site has been discussed extensively on the Skyscraper forum. See here for a mock-up someone did of a 31k seater: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...52997&page=154.

Basically, you can get a CFL stadium in there but it would use up every square inch of the grounds and parking lot. That would be entirely impractical. I took some pictures down there and noticed you'd also need to purchase at least one private home to make it work on the western side. Plus it's a comparative stone's throw to BMO and the city would be very unlikely to put money toward another stadium so close.

A fair idea but not quite doable.

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    The Lamport site has been discussed extensively on the Skyscraper forum. See here for a mock-up someone did of a 31k seater: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...52997&page=154.

Basically, you can get a CFL stadium in there but it would use up every square inch of the grounds and parking lot. That would be entirely impractical. I took some pictures down there and noticed you'd also need to purchase at least one private home to make it work on the western side. Plus it's a comparative stone's throw to BMO and the city would be very unlikely to put money toward another stadium so close.

A fair idea but not quite doable.
    Interesting (I'm assuming the designer didn't have the time to put a roof on their model). I thought maybe Lamport might have been viable since you wouldn't have to start from scratch as you would, well, pretty much anywhere else. Transit may not be ideal (yeah no subway but there aren't too many viable sites near the subway line), but it's not bad. Highway access is also not ideal, but if Argos fans have been able to live with trying to access the QEW from around Robbers Center all these decades I'm sure having to access it from the Ex is not a big deal. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about having to contend with traffic coming out of the ACC on the rare occasions when the two venues let out at the same time. I really don't want to see the Argos leave the City of Toronto proper. It's just not the same having them in Mississauga or Vaughan.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    Interesting (I'm assuming the designer didn't have the time to put a roof on their model). I thought maybe Lamport might have been viable since you wouldn't have to start from scratch as you would, well, pretty much anywhere else. Transit may not be ideal (yeah no subway but there aren't too many viable sites near the subway line), but it's not bad. Highway access is also not ideal, but if Argos fans have been able to live with trying to access the QEW from around Robbers Center all these decades I'm sure having to access it from the Ex is not a big deal. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about having to contend with traffic coming out of the ACC on the rare occasions when the two venues let out at the same time. I really don't want to see the Argos leave the City of Toronto proper. It's just not the same having them in Mississauga or Vaughan.
    I would think that Lamport would actually take longer because you would have to tear down the old stadium first.

Driving to BMO Field or Lamport Stadium is actually worse than the Rogers Centre because the highway exits aren't as good and there is less parking. Plus when the CNE is on you lose parking and you lose access to/from Dufferin street. Another problem is the lack of bars and restaurants in the area.

As far as I'm aware the only sites in 416 Toronto that are being considered are BMO Field, Downsview and Woodbine Racetrack.

As to Vaughan you would have highway and subway access. Also the Ottawa Senators don't play in Ottawa and the 49ers are moving out of San Francisco too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    As to Vaughan you would have highway and subway access. Also the Ottawa Senators don't play in Ottawa and the 49ers are moving out of San Francisco too.
    Kanata is as much as Ottawa as Scarborough is Toronto.

Too many people use it as an excuse, it's too "far"

It's a 20min drive from downtown Ottawa. I drive it everyday. Even in heavier traffic it's 30-40 minutes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I disagree. It was common knowledge that the Blue Jays were going to install grass.
    No, I must join the others in saying it was not common knowledge. It was known that they would like to do such, but nothing was made official. It was all talk and essentially still is. I remember when the Jays were in spring training and this is when the topic really took off, but Beeston did not give an official answer. In fact, they want to do it 5 years from now, but until they start hammering the concrete, you just never know for sure. A lot can happen in 5 years.
    Last edited by ArgoZ; 11-07-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    No, I must join the others in saying it was not common knowledge. It was known that they would like to do such, but nothing was made official. It was all talk and essentially still is. I remember when the Jays were in spring training and this is when the topic really took off, but Beeston diBetween the both of us, we attended almost every home game. d not give an official answer. In fact, they want to do it 5 years from now, but until they start hammering the concrete, you just never know for sure. A lot can happen in 5 years.
    Except that it was:

It's been common knowledge for years that the Blue Jays are going to put in real grass and kick out the Argonauts:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...re-grass-turf/

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55...232200351.html

Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Except that it was:
    I'm confused on what's going on here. The titles for the three articles you posted contain the words ‘seriously discussing’, plan and mull. Therefore nothing was official until September of this year (I think).
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    We're officially going in circles. Let's agree that there was increasing talk of the change to grass for some months (including clear indications from Beeston in the spring) but that the hammer didn't officially fall until September. It's certainly an exaggeration to call it "common knowledge for years."

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Level
    Except that it was:
    The first two articles talk about the "potential" and "discussing" of grass. The last one is bang on just what I said, in which it didn't start gaining real steam until this last Jays pre-season. Even then, the article quotes sources and not Beeston himself, because there has yet to be an official announcement of such. Your articles just proved what we have been saying. It was common knowledge that they wanted to install grass, it was not that they were going to do so.
    Last edited by ArgoZ; 11-07-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Random note: the Wikipedia page on the Dome had no mention whatsoever of the change over to grass. I just updated it. NOW it's common knowledge!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    Random note: the Wikipedia page on the Dome had no mention whatsoever of the change over to grass. I just updated it. NOW it's common knowledge!
    Lol @ Wikipedia being used as a reference for anything.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    You may be surprised how that is the go to site for initial info.

Banned
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 304
    Achievements:

Level
    Study: Wikipedia as accurate as Britannica

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Anything that can be edited by anyone has inherent problems.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think going to a refurbished BMO is the best option, but only if MLSE buys the team. It's the safest bet.

But if it comes to best location for a new stadium, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Portlands. Minutes from downtown, thousands of acres of developable land, its the perfect place for a Lansdowne Stadium-type development with lots of commercial and residential in and around the stadium. Enough land -- downtown land -- that could attract a really great civic-pride kind of development.

The best part is how the changing transportation infrastructure could make the Portlands a perfect fit for the future. The Gardiner east of Jarvis is coming down. They are going to completely redesign the Don Valley/Gardiner/Lakeshore interchange. You could have a Don Valley offramp heading straight into the stadium area, and a Lakeshore Southeast turnoff coming off the Gardiner eastbound.

The new Downtown Relief Subway line is supposed to head south from Pape Station then west to the West Donlands, pretty easy (relatively) to connect to the Portlands from there. No real good GO solution, though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The new Downtown Relief Subway line is supposed to head south from Pape Station then west to the West Donlands, pretty easy (relatively) to connect to the Portlands from there. No real good GO solution, though.
    Problem is that relief line is probably at least ten years away. They haven't even started an Environmental Assessment. Ford and Miller both screwed the city by ignoring this project.

Couldn't they add a GO station somewhere between Cherry Street and the Don?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Achievements:
    Level
    Anything that can be edited by anyone has inherent problems.
    At least it can be edited. How do you fix a mistake in a book? Or a newspaper? Those have limited editors, and they make mistakes.
    Faster + Louder = Better