View Poll Results: Where should the new Argonauts Stadium be located?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richmond Hill

3 5.26%
  • Markham

3 5.26%
  • Vaughan

7 12.28%
  • Woodbine Racetrack

4 7.02%
  • York University

2 3.51%
  • Downsview

13 22.81%
  • BMO Field

19 33.33%
  • Other

6 10.53%
Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

New Fan
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points

Level
    At this point I think the MLSE has already over extended itself with the purchase of the MLS franchise TFC. I appears to me that making a turn around for the franchise on the field will be there priority. The lack of attendance would have much to do with there very poor play and records.
    Also getting their focus back on making the Leafs a Stanley Cup Champion. Those fans will come and support no matter what as one of the original 6 franchises plus a some of the new franchises over the years have a strong wupportive fan base no matter what.
    I think that the Argos conversation came to be about simply as a way to get the renos on BMO to be paid for by the govt. As they found out though bringing the Argos and the CFL to BMO may isolate the loyal supporters of TFC.

There simply is not enough support for the Argos from those who live in Toronto and there will be no $$$ from govt to build another pro sport specific stadium.
    I am going to stick to my opinion that moving the Argos out of downtown and into a GTA Region and Municiplity is what is best and has been prove to be a recipe for success in every major city in North America that have 5 or more pro sports franchises. NFL, NHL, NBA, mlb, and MLS all have venues outside of the city and into what has become highly populated Metro regions ans well as stadium in areas outside the city with excellent access from many roadways to the stadium from all parts of the metro region.
    For the Argos it will be more about bringing the CFL and a pro sport to a well populated part of the metro region outside the city where there are currently 5 teams home playing venue within 3 miles of each other of the downtown section.
    JMO of course but this would be the first time that this has had to be done in Canada as Toronto has grown into one of the biggest Metro regions in North America and the first Canadian one to have 5 pro sports teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 368
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Possible senario: Leiweke wants to renovate BMO stadium to keep the soccer fans attending but he does not want to shell out the $100 million needed to bring up to a first class stadium. His answer---get different levels of the government to pay for the improvements. His approach--make the stadium accommodate a CFL field and invite the Argos to play there. But he needs to profess that this will really be hard on his present tenant (TFC) so he needs to be persuaded (through govt funding) to make these changes. It looks as if it all about money folks--MLSE is an expert at getting others to pay for want they want.

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Possible senario: Leiweke wants to renovate BMO stadium to keep the soccer fans attending but he does not want to shell out the $100 million needed to bring up to a first class stadium. His answer---get different levels of the government to pay for the improvements. His approach--make the stadium accommodate a CFL field and invite the Argos to play there. But he needs to profess that this will really be hard on his present tenant (TFC) so he needs to be persuaded (through govt funding) to make these changes. It looks as if it all about money folks--MLSE is an expert at getting others to pay for want they want.

well said. That sums up their interest in the Argos

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Along the same line Rogers themselves could easily own the Argos and be a main private source of funding of a new stadium in the GTA outside the city. Problem is that they left the CFL for dead a few years ago and now are too stubborn to admith they were wrong.
    Owning the Argos in a new stadium would first change their perception of many people.
    As for their reasoning for not owning the Argos is because they have no rights to Televise the CFL games. However, there are many other ways in which they could profit off of their media outlets and the Argos.
    First bringing the Argos radio back to their Radio Networks and Broadcast the games not just in Toronto but in other regions as well inside and out of Ontario.
    A weekly show on the Argos on at least Rogers Sportsnet Ontario and Nationally on sportsnet 360.
    Sale of Argos merchandise at Blue Jays games and other events at RC as well as selling Blue Jays Merchandise at Arogo games synergy.
    Right now when the CFL needs a go to place to host the Grey Cup Vancuouver, British Columbia, and the Lions have been smart enough to support the CFL and with the Grey Cup bringing in records amount of revenue of all kinds for team city province and stadium as well as TV ratings.
    CFL and TSN partnership would love to have more Grey Cups in Toronto at Rogers Centre and Rogers has the media outlets to promote it at no additional costs.
    But they won't will be their loss and be someone else gain

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    city council explicitly stated that this stadium was supposed to be suitable for Canadian football in addition to soccer. That was why it received the public funding. Its pisses me off Toronto FC fans believe that this is their stadium and theirs only, and in truth MLSE should be made to pay for some of the upgrades as it was their deceit the led to the stadium being built to small.

Banned
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    To put it bluntly Toronto FC football fans (including myself) do not want a minor league gridiron league invading our stadium. Build your own.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ardesh View Post
    To put it bluntly Toronto FC football fans (including myself) do not want a minor league gridiron league invading our stadium. Build your own.
    I want no part of BMO Field but you do realize that it's owned by the City of Toronto and part of the mandate when it was built was that it had to accommodate CFL Football?

Also I find it ironic that a MLS fan would call any other league "minor".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Just FOI, if the CFL is minor league gridiron football, what brand of soccer is MLS?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Just FOI, if the CFL is minor league gridiron football, what brand of soccer is MLS?
    House League.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    To put it even more bluntly, if you come here to call our league as being "minor" when the MLS salary cap is lower than the CFL's. And attempt to insult the league, the teams and fans, you will be banned so quick and your email signed for spam.

We already have one huge TFC fan here who arguers from the TFC point, But at least he does it in a respectful manor and has valid points. Oh and he's also a huge Toronto sports fan. And not a 1-2 team pony while putting down the rest. Many of us here cheer for the TORONTO in the various team names..the other part is irrelevant.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mulder View Post
    to put it even more bluntly, if you come here to call our league as being "minor" when the mls salary cap is lower than the cfl's. And attempt to insult the league, the teams and fans, you will be banned so quick and your email signed for spam.

........t.
    Yea Mulder!!!

Last edited by Argocister; 11-25-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    To put it even more bluntly, if you come here to call our league as being "minor" when the MLS salary cap is lower than the CFL's. And attempt to insult the league, the teams and fans, you will be banned so quick and your email signed for spam.

We already have one huge TFC fan here who arguers from the TFC point, But at least he does it in a respectful manor and has valid points. Oh and he's also a huge Toronto sports fan. And not a 1-2 team pony while putting down the rest. Many of us here cheer for the TORONTO in the various team names..the other part is irrelevant.
    appreciated Mulder, ive said this before and i repeat this again, i dont get why these TFC fans think they are entitled to the facility only, its a tax payers owned stadium. Why the hate on for the Argos, We happily share a newly renovated BC place with our MLS fans here, the stadium received funding to make it a fantastic place for next few decades of Vancouver sports. I newly renovated BMO with a roof and expanded seating and concourse would be a win win for TFC and Argo fans, but isnt going to happen unless the Argos are apart of it.

Banned
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post

Some players (like Clint Dempsey) make more then one entire CFL team so what's your point?

I am a huge Toronto sports fan for all sports including the Argos. I just don't want BMO field ruined for gridiron.

I never knew Varsity couldn't be expanded. How about Lamport Stadium then? I would think renovating that would be cheaper then building a newer stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Some players (like Clint Dempsey) make more then one entire CFL team so what's your point?

I am a huge Toronto sports fan for all sports including the Argos. I just don't want BMO field ruined for gridiron.

I never knew Varsity couldn't be expanded. How about Lamport Stadium then? I would think renovating that would be cheaper then building a newer stadium.
    Didn't CFL have sort of a designated player rule at one time too? Rocket Ismail comes to mind. It was eventually deemed bad for the league, and other players on the team.
    You wouldn't want to lose a marquee Canadian player because you signed 3 under preforming DP's right? Doesn't Dwayne De Rosario come to mind in that situation??

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

You do realize that the Argonauts average Regular Season Attendance was about 22,000 per game, right? They also had about 36000 at this year's playoff game. Lamport Stadium has a capacity of 9600.

The only existing stadium in Toronto that could be expanded/renovated for the Argonauts is BMO Field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rdavies View Post
    Even more crazy, the CFL's TV ratings are much higher on the Deuce (ESPN 2) than MLS.
    We need a like button!

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:

Level
    Rogers WILL NOT SUPPORT OR GIVE A RATS ASS ABOUT The Argonauts anytime soon. They care about their crummy Jays and nothing more. They go out of their way to screw the Argonauts over. Just look at our schedule from this year. FARCE.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:

Level
    mac_davy you said it all man. I have no use for my Toronto Argonauts playing in that stadium however. Only in TO would fans of an upstart team hate fans of the oldest Pro team in North America for no reason at all. I really hope that we go in a different direction and have our own sweet little stadium.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    mac_davy you said it all man. I have no use for my Toronto Argonauts playing in that stadium however. Only in TO would fans of an upstart team hate fans of the oldest Pro team in North America for no reason at all. I really hope that we go in a different direction and have our own sweet little stadium.
    Its just angers me to see how much disrespect the Argos get, not only from your own media, but then these FC fans, I just don't get the divisions in your city. Out here in Vancouver my Lions and the Caps use they the same facility, the sport hall of fame and the concourse is loaded with many tributes to Lions and Caps players from the past it make the stadium feel alive and rich in history, our neighbours to the south in Seattle have the same set up with the Sounders and Seahawks, never once did I hear a Seahawks fan whine when the MLS moved in to Qwest field, only in Toronto do I see just garbage and selfishness from fans of other sports in there own city, and your media. When I read Dan Bilicki blog on grey cup this morning my jaw dropped, isn't the Sun supposed consider its self to be premier Toronto paper, and to allow that drivel to be posted just show how amateurish it is.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    is basically
    - ultra-suburn -- very low land cost, stadium is a tag-on as part of major commericial development, developer paid stadium with some municipal/prov govt thrown in;
    - BMO -- partial infrastructure there already, MLSE says they will pay for upgrades. My sense they are more interested in any public money they may be available to an argos project

Anywhere in the city proper has no chance (downsview, etc) due to land cost. So stop posting this over and over unless you have $50million in your back pocket.

Braley has said over and over again through the years he won't put a cent into any stadium construction. Note: he is getting more and more into real estate development, so he may be part of that.