View Poll Results: Where should the new Argonauts Stadium be located?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Richmond Hill

3 5.26%
  • Markham

3 5.26%
  • Vaughan

7 12.28%
  • Woodbine Racetrack

4 7.02%
  • York University

2 3.51%
  • Downsview

13 22.81%
  • BMO Field

19 33.33%
  • Other

6 10.53%
Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I haven't voted as to a specific location here, as whatever is best for the team should dictate the location.
    I live 1-1.5 hrs from downtown, so if the stadium is moved still within the same driving distance I will still go.
    The Argos are in a unique situation, as most other teams do not have the choice.

Downtown Location: Often when there is a game i will make a day or two visit to the downtown core (except of course for the midweek games ... Thursday isnt bad) .... there are so many options for a couple day visit that I am surprised that the city of Toronto doesn't recognize that. I'm not going to Hamilton for a couple of days.... maybe Montreal ..... but Toronto downtown does offer that to the Argos fans that will not be replaced by heading out to the burbs. Yes I will still visit the downtown core, but I definitly go more frequently with the Argo games.

Outside Location: I will probably still go to a burb location as well.It will not be the couple day venue but if it allows tailgating .... I can manage a DD, and have my tailgating stuff ready .... I can still bring people.

I really hope the Argos do their homework and find out what the fans like of each location, which fans will be affected by their choice. Are the newer fans coming from the burbs? .... You know the full SWOT analysis. Once done, then lets not settle for second best.... do what is best for the Argos and their fans. I am sure Rudge is doing this.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ah the SWOT analysis. Biggest cliche in business school along with Michael Porter's five forces and Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    He probably should have kept his big trap shut about MLSE the way he did about the other options..
    I agree, he should've kept his mouth shut about MLSE, it makes the CFL and Cohon come across as desperate...How would you also feel if you were another nearby municipality who was interested in building a stadium facility for the Argos...I'd feel pissed if I was a developer or mayor of a nearby municipality who was courting the Argos.

Because of Cohon's big mouth seeing him go go-goo-ga-ga over the prospects of the Greatest sports empire (said with tongue in cheek, believe me) owning the Argos, I seriously question whether there are any other options being discussed...I could be proven and in many ways I hope I am. I personally don't want to see the Argos as a second tennant to an MLS soccer team, under the MLSE umbrella. Some on here may believe that the Argos may have a higher profile, but the other argument could be that they will be just as marginalized and buried under the other MLSE sports properties.

Remember MLSE also owns the Marlies, and ask yourself if you want an owner that will treat the Argos as a cherished property with their own stadium, which is what an independent owner would do, or ask yourself if you want MLSE to perhaps treat the Argos as a 2nd class property like they do the Marlies in comparison to Leafs, Raptors and even God forbid...TFC.

PS- speaking of TFC, would MLSE also change the name of this sorry franchise if they buy the Argos. They would then own 2 football teams, one in Association football (soccer) and one in Canadian Gridiron Football. I was never a fan of the TFC name because of this...TSC ok, Toronto FC was a cheap ploy to pretend to be Liverpool FC. Even their Red uniforms was made to copy this and so is there nickname as they are referred to as the Reds....Hmm, "Reds", no wonder why I'm not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    What highway access does Downsview have?

Go a couple more stops on that Subway line and you'll be in Vaughan with real highway access.
    Pretty much all the ones you mentioned...the biggest highway in Canada and the 2nd busiest freeway in North America being the 401 is a stone's through from Downsview, the 400, the Allen Expressway, The DVP and 404, Black Creek Drive, Hwy 427, not just the 27....it's also relatively close to the Vaughan (Hwy7) as
    corridor, and there are many alternative city routes that could dissipate traffic from many directions.

I think Downsview is an excellent compromise...the team would still be in the middle of Toronto and not be more than a half hour north of it's present location. If Vaughan is serious then that's fine, I'd be willing to go west toward those empty parcels of land on 427 and 7 or at Woodbine, but then it no longer becomes a direct route from Union Station.

As I've said before, it's to the point where they've just got to get out of that dome for Regular season games and maybe even playoff games if they can no longer be accomadated at the dome...their presence is invisible at the dome now during the season. Let's not even pretend that the Argos have a huge following in Downtown compared to the 416 burbs and 905 burbs...half the Argo fans showed up late last week because of the snarled traffic downtown. Had it not been for the Ticat faithful, which saddens me to say, the attendance for the Eastern Final would have been embarrassing. Possibly lower than the awful Eastern Final attendance to close out the CNE in 1988.

New Fan
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points

Level
    At this point I think the MLSE has already over extended itself with the purchase of the MLS franchise TFC. I appears to me that making a turn around for the franchise on the field will be there priority. The lack of attendance would have much to do with there very poor play and records.
    Also getting their focus back on making the Leafs a Stanley Cup Champion. Those fans will come and support no matter what as one of the original 6 franchises plus a some of the new franchises over the years have a strong wupportive fan base no matter what.
    I think that the Argos conversation came to be about simply as a way to get the renos on BMO to be paid for by the govt. As they found out though bringing the Argos and the CFL to BMO may isolate the loyal supporters of TFC.

There simply is not enough support for the Argos from those who live in Toronto and there will be no $$$ from govt to build another pro sport specific stadium.
    I am going to stick to my opinion that moving the Argos out of downtown and into a GTA Region and Municiplity is what is best and has been prove to be a recipe for success in every major city in North America that have 5 or more pro sports franchises. NFL, NHL, NBA, mlb, and MLS all have venues outside of the city and into what has become highly populated Metro regions ans well as stadium in areas outside the city with excellent access from many roadways to the stadium from all parts of the metro region.
    For the Argos it will be more about bringing the CFL and a pro sport to a well populated part of the metro region outside the city where there are currently 5 teams home playing venue within 3 miles of each other of the downtown section.
    JMO of course but this would be the first time that this has had to be done in Canada as Toronto has grown into one of the biggest Metro regions in North America and the first Canadian one to have 5 pro sports teams.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 129
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Possible senario: Leiweke wants to renovate BMO stadium to keep the soccer fans attending but he does not want to shell out the $100 million needed to bring up to a first class stadium. His answer---get different levels of the government to pay for the improvements. His approach--make the stadium accommodate a CFL field and invite the Argos to play there. But he needs to profess that this will really be hard on his present tenant (TFC) so he needs to be persuaded (through govt funding) to make these changes. It looks as if it all about money folks--MLSE is an expert at getting others to pay for want they want.

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Possible senario: Leiweke wants to renovate BMO stadium to keep the soccer fans attending but he does not want to shell out the $100 million needed to bring up to a first class stadium. His answer---get different levels of the government to pay for the improvements. His approach--make the stadium accommodate a CFL field and invite the Argos to play there. But he needs to profess that this will really be hard on his present tenant (TFC) so he needs to be persuaded (through govt funding) to make these changes. It looks as if it all about money folks--MLSE is an expert at getting others to pay for want they want.

well said. That sums up their interest in the Argos

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill The Thrill View Post
    I agree, he should've kept his mouth shut about MLSE, it makes the CFL and Cohon come across as desperate...How would you also feel if you were another nearby municipality who was interested in building a stadium facility for the Argos...I'd feel pissed if I was a developer or mayor of a nearby municipality who was courting the Argos.

Because of Cohon's big mouth seeing him go go-goo-ga-ga over the prospects of the Greatest sports empire (said with tongue in cheek, believe me) owning the Argos, I seriously question whether there are any other options being discussed...I could be proven and in many ways I hope I am.
    Follow the money, folks. There are no options other than BMO Field. Braley isn't putting one cent of his own money into a brand new, $200 million stadium and we have ample evidence in this country that other private interests aren't going to either unless the governments at various levels contribute the lion's share and that is not happening in Downsview, Vaughn, etc. You might be able to get some government money to upgrade BMO but that is all you are going to get from taxpayers.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 11-24-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

New Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Along the same line Rogers themselves could easily own the Argos and be a main private source of funding of a new stadium in the GTA outside the city. Problem is that they left the CFL for dead a few years ago and now are too stubborn to admith they were wrong.
    Owning the Argos in a new stadium would first change their perception of many people.
    As for their reasoning for not owning the Argos is because they have no rights to Televise the CFL games. However, there are many other ways in which they could profit off of their media outlets and the Argos.
    First bringing the Argos radio back to their Radio Networks and Broadcast the games not just in Toronto but in other regions as well inside and out of Ontario.
    A weekly show on the Argos on at least Rogers Sportsnet Ontario and Nationally on sportsnet 360.
    Sale of Argos merchandise at Blue Jays games and other events at RC as well as selling Blue Jays Merchandise at Arogo games synergy.
    Right now when the CFL needs a go to place to host the Grey Cup Vancuouver, British Columbia, and the Lions have been smart enough to support the CFL and with the Grey Cup bringing in records amount of revenue of all kinds for team city province and stadium as well as TV ratings.
    CFL and TSN partnership would love to have more Grey Cups in Toronto at Rogers Centre and Rogers has the media outlets to promote it at no additional costs.
    But they won't will be their loss and be someone else gain

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Rogers WILL NOT SUPPORT OR GIVE A RATS ASS ABOUT The Argonauts anytime soon. They care about their crummy Jays and nothing more. They go out of their way to screw the Argonauts over. Just look at our schedule from this year. FARCE.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    city council explicitly stated that this stadium was supposed to be suitable for Canadian football in addition to soccer. That was why it received the public funding. Its pisses me off Toronto FC fans believe that this is their stadium and theirs only, and in truth MLSE should be made to pay for some of the upgrades as it was their deceit the led to the stadium being built to small.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    mac_davy you said it all man. I have no use for my Toronto Argonauts playing in that stadium however. Only in TO would fans of an upstart team hate fans of the oldest Pro team in North America for no reason at all. I really hope that we go in a different direction and have our own sweet little stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    is basically
    - ultra-suburn -- very low land cost, stadium is a tag-on as part of major commericial development, developer paid stadium with some municipal/prov govt thrown in;
    - BMO -- partial infrastructure there already, MLSE says they will pay for upgrades. My sense they are more interested in any public money they may be available to an argos project

Anywhere in the city proper has no chance (downsview, etc) due to land cost. So stop posting this over and over unless you have $50million in your back pocket.

Braley has said over and over again through the years he won't put a cent into any stadium construction. Note: he is getting more and more into real estate development, so he may be part of that.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    mac_davy you said it all man. I have no use for my Toronto Argonauts playing in that stadium however. Only in TO would fans of an upstart team hate fans of the oldest Pro team in North America for no reason at all. I really hope that we go in a different direction and have our own sweet little stadium.
    Its just angers me to see how much disrespect the Argos get, not only from your own media, but then these FC fans, I just don't get the divisions in your city. Out here in Vancouver my Lions and the Caps use they the same facility, the sport hall of fame and the concourse is loaded with many tributes to Lions and Caps players from the past it make the stadium feel alive and rich in history, our neighbours to the south in Seattle have the same set up with the Sounders and Seahawks, never once did I hear a Seahawks fan whine when the MLS moved in to Qwest field, only in Toronto do I see just garbage and selfishness from fans of other sports in there own city, and your media. When I read Dan Bilicki blog on grey cup this morning my jaw dropped, isn't the Sun supposed consider its self to be premier Toronto paper, and to allow that drivel to be posted just show how amateurish it is.

Banned
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    To put it bluntly Toronto FC football fans (including myself) do not want a minor league gridiron league invading our stadium. Build your own.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ardesh View Post
    To put it bluntly Toronto FC football fans (including myself) do not want a minor league gridiron league invading our stadium. Build your own.
    I want no part of BMO Field but you do realize that it's owned by the City of Toronto and part of the mandate when it was built was that it had to accommodate CFL Football?

Also I find it ironic that a MLS fan would call any other league "minor".

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Just FOI, if the CFL is minor league gridiron football, what brand of soccer is MLS?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Just FOI, if the CFL is minor league gridiron football, what brand of soccer is MLS?
    House League.

Banned
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 137
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    MLS is the top level of football in North America.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I thought that was the NFL?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    And the CFL is the top level of Canadian gridiron football in the world.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force