Thread: TV ratings

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    After the CFL went exclusively with TSN it was reported that CBC/Global wanted to submit a combined bid for a higher amount than TSN paid, but weren't allowed to bid. The CFL wanted their games on TSN (which was the undisputed leader in cable sports) and was willing to take less money (about $12M at the time) without opening up the bidding process.

To maximize the value of CFL TV rights, the league could sell a package of Saturday and Sunday evening games to an alternate network. The playoffs and Grey Cup could also be sold separately to a higher bidder. The risk with removing TSN's exclusivity is the CFL could slide even further down TSN's pecking order, below the NFL, NHL, BJ's (and MLS?)

It does seem like a double standard that Bell's NFL games will be broadcast on TSN/CTV1/CTV2 (like the Super Bowl last year which despite the wide coverage saw a 39% drop in ratings) while CFL games are restricted to cable only.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    After the CFL went exclusively with TSN it was reported that CBC/Global wanted to submit a combined bid for a higher amount than TSN paid, but weren't allowed to bid. The CFL wanted their games on TSN (which was the undisputed leader in cable sports) and was willing to take less money (about $12M at the time) without opening up the bidding process.

To maximize the value of CFL TV rights, the league could sell a package of Saturday and Sunday evening games to an alternate network. The playoffs and Grey Cup could also be sold separately to a higher bidder. The risk with removing TSN's exclusivity is the CFL could slide even further down TSN's pecking order, below the NFL, NHL, BJ's (and MLS?)

It does seem like a double standard that Bell's NFL games will be broadcast on TSN/CTV1/CTV2 (like the Super Bowl last year which despite the wide coverage saw a 39% drop in ratings) while CFL games are restricted to cable only.
    And until you provide a source for this, this means nothing.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    And until you provide a source for this, this means nothing.
    Not everything is on the Internet and sometimes people actually know someone involved.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Not everything is on the Internet and sometimes people actually know someone involved.
    I don't get your response here. You ask for sources as much if not more than anyone on here. The poster I was replying to posts non factual stuff all the time, which was the reason I responded as I did.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't get your response here. You ask for sources as much if not more than anyone on here. The poster I was replying to posts non factual stuff all the time, which was the reason I responded as I did.
    I'm just pointing out that sometimes there's not a public source available. For example in the past I've shared information about Dean Blundell that wasn't publicly available. I'm going to assume that the details of private rights negotiations wouldn't be made public.

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post

Bells NFL games are broadcast on CTV because they can sim-sync with US broadcast, TSN can't do this. They put out of market games on TSN.

CFL games and Grey Cup are ONLY on TSN because it drives TSN subscriptions and ad revenue. CFL is TSNs #1 money maker.

CBC has no shot at CFL rights. They were recently in the mix for the MLS rights but thats because they are basically free.

Global is the only other major bidder. Most of the Shaw executives are big CFL fans and they are one of the league's largest sponsor

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra

Last night's @Wpg_BlueBombers vs. @MTLAlouettes double overtime thriller averaged 714,000 viewers nationally on @TSN_Sports & @RDSca. #CFL