Thread: TV ratings

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

TV ratings

Has anyone seen the TV ratings for Thur night Argo's game. It would be interesting, as a non important Argo game was up against the World Series and NFL Thur night game. I would bet the Argos won. If so this is the type of promotion, the Argos need to put out there

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I would agree that the first wall that needs to be torn down when it comes to the anti-CFL crowd is that they have no idea what the ratings are like. How do you use this though to put more butts in the seats?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    I would agree that the first wall that needs to be torn down when it comes to the anti-CFL crowd is that they have no idea what the ratings are like. How do you use this though to put more butts in the seats?
    It's a start, T.0 is a town of followers, right now, listening to local media the perception is that no one watches the CFL, so throw that in their face to start. If people in T.O think other people are watching they will follow along. We need to buld a small but hip ( for lack of a better word) group of followers. I know people that will not admit they watch the CFL till other speak up first and say they do also. I bet we have all been out some where and got in to a CFL/NFL argument with someone, while others just listen, only to have them come up after the argument and inform you THAT they also watch the CFL and agree with you, but did not want to get involved, we need to change that and by have the TV numbers out front and well know, will help that. Little steps

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    that's awesome... i shared it on FB

World Series vs NFL vs The Argos playing a meaningless game against the last place team... and the Boatmen triumph
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Again, this guy never gives up. He used to do the same thing in the Star, "US ratings not included" but he never mentions or factors in the RDS numbers not only for the Als but now involving most of the other games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Again, this guy never gives up. He used to do the same thing in the Star, "US ratings not included" but he never mentions or factors in the RDS numbers not only for the Als but now involving most of the other games.
    In all fairness, AT, Zelkovich has always been one to trumpet how good the CFL's TV ratings are. I am glad to see that he is doing this column again on Yahoo. We can expect some pretty huge figures when the playoffs begin, especially with Toronto and Hamilton both hosting playoff games in the same season for the first time since 1989.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom
    I do agree he managed to provide excuses for the other sports lagging rather than giving credit to the CFL viewership being strong, but his basic point is a fair one: in sum there were almost certainly more people watching the World Series in Canada last Thursday than any other sporting event. I would be curious to know by how much; presumably Fox and other American networks track this.

As for RDS, I've only worked out the numbers for the Grey Cup and they're disappointing when Montreal's not involved. 5.5 million English Canadians watched last year's final and only 300k Quebecers did.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 723
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    I do agree he managed to provide excuses for the other sports lagging rather than giving credit to the CFL viewership being strong, but his basic point is a fair one: in sum there were almost certainly more people watching the World Series in Canada last Thursday than any other sporting event. I would be curious to know by how much; presumably Fox and other American networks track this.
    I'd assume Canadian advertisers don't care how many Canadian's watch TV Shows/Sports shows on American networks, if they were tracked in any way we would have heard about it. They want real Canadian numbers.

He's also bundled in the NFL Sunday games into Category, just remember that that's usually showing 3-4 different games across the country, as opposed to just 1 CFL game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    What does it say? Probably nothing more than the fact that not even NFL die-hards will watch a game as bad as that one.
    Still this was a pretty mealy-mouthed way of excusing the fact that the Argos (a first place team) playing against a last place team (Winnipeg) in a game one could hardly say was a classic still attracted 5 times the audience of the NFL and beat baseball's World Championship.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    As far as raw numbers go, the CFL game won (517,000), baseball came second (465,000) and the NFL lagged far behind (105,000.) In reality, baseball took the night since most likely another army of Canadians watched on Fox, whose Canadian viewers aren't tracked. The NFL game, possibly the worst matchup of the season, was aired on Sportsnet360, a channel that viewers may have had to conduct forensic searches to find.

They've been doing well in the USA too. This was from the end of September:

The overnights are in, with the Sask vs Als drawing an excellent 818,000 (English audience only), while N.E. vs Atl did 509,000 (TSN/NBC).

The Saturday night Argos vs Esks did a surprising 821,000, going up against HNIC at 928,000 (Combined games). Great numbers again, even beating out the Blue Jays! (who are lucky to break 300,000 these days...much to the surprise of some Toronto sports writers)

Speaking of ESPN, the ratings are in for the Esks vs Bombers on ESPN2, which averaged 201,000 viewers (over 194 minutes). That's pretty darn good, especially going head-to-head against a live NCAA football game on ESPN.

Ratings for other U.S. cable sports programing being televised in that Friday night time slot:

MLB Tonight (live): 240,000 (MLB Network)
    CFL Esks vs Bombers: 201,000 (ESPN2)
    NFL Total Access: 167,000 (NFLN)
    MLS (live): 131,000 (NBCSN)
    WNBA playoffs (live): 89,000 (NBA TV)
    UFC Tonight: 80,000 (FOXSNThe overnights are in, with the Sask vs Als drawing an excellent 818,000 (English audience only), while N.E. vs Atl did 509,000 (TSN/NBC).
    Last edited by Neely2005; 10-29-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The below was posted on the CFL form, and from what i understand from BBM, it's true, the Fox's viewers in Canada would have counted
    One thing I find interesting is that Zelkovich fails to understand that the cable companies are now replacing American network signals with Canadian cable channels when simulcasting is involved thus viewers are seeing Canadian commercials, thus the ratings are in fact included as part of the total of the Canadian cable channel.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    The below was posted on the CFL form, and from what i understand from BBM, it's true, the Fox's viewers in Canada would have counted
    One thing I find interesting is that Zelkovich fails to understand that the cable companies are now replacing American network signals with Canadian cable channels when simulcasting is involved thus viewers are seeing Canadian commercials, thus the ratings are in fact included as part of the total of the Canadian cable channel.
    You should Email him and point that out to him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Is the World Series being simulcast though? I know that in past years, Sportsnet would use Fox's world feed while FOX would use their regular feed and these were two different things. Also, when TSN shows an NFL game as they do on Sunday and Monday nights, I don't believe that it is a simulcast. However, when CTV, CITY and, I believe, Sportsnet show their NFL games, that is a simulcast.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It will be interesting to see this week's ratings, with four completely meaningless CFL games. Will viewers tune out rather than watch a bunch of exhibition games? This is the first time I can remember when there was not a single standings change possible heading into the final week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It will be interesting to see this week's ratings, with four completely meaningless CFL games. Will viewers tune out rather than watch a bunch of exhibition games? This is the first time I can remember when there was not a single standings change possible heading into the final week.
    What a dud weekend. One thing I find is that the CFL has a greater ratio of die hard fans to casual, until the playoffs. Fans will still tune in to watch their team and the numbers hold strong. Whereas for hockey games you will see ratings spikes for top teams playing the Leafs, because so many casuals tune in.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Is the World Series being simulcast though? I know that in past years, Sportsnet would use Fox's world feed while FOX would use their regular feed and these were two different things. Also, when TSN shows an NFL game as they do on Sunday and Monday nights, I don't believe that it is a simulcast. However, when CTV, CITY and, I believe, Sportsnet show their NFL games, that is a simulcast.
    To me and from what I understand is this, if you are viewing Canadian TV commercials on a US feed or stations, then those viewers will be counted in Canada

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    To me and from what I understand is this, if you are viewing Canadian TV commercials on a US feed or stations, then those viewers will be counted in Canada
    You are correct. BTW, I just realized that Monday night games are not simulcast as we don't get ESPN in this country so the audience is comprised of whomever is watching on TSN. The only NFL games that I don't think are simulcast are the Sunday night games as I am pretty sure that we see NBC's commercials if we are watching on there and TSN's commercials if we are watching on there. Most, if not all, other NFL games are simulcast which means that the ratings which Zelkovich publishes is an accurate count of NFL viewers in Canada. Of course, there is the NFL Sunday Ticket but I wonder how many Canadians subscribe to that. I have never seen any numbers published for that service.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    You are correct. BTW, I just realized that Monday night games are not simulcast as we don't get ESPN in this country so the audience is comprised of whomever is watching on TSN. The only NFL games that I don't think are simulcast are the Sunday night games as I am pretty sure that we see NBC's commercials if we are watching on there and TSN's commercials if we are watching on there. Most, if not all, other NFL games are simulcast which means that the ratings which Zelkovich publishes is an accurate count of NFL viewers in Canada. Of course, there is the NFL Sunday Ticket but I wonder how many Canadians subscribe to that. I have never seen any numbers published for that service.
    If a game is being broadcast on Any Canadian channel it will be blacked out on NFL Sunday Ticket. I experience this all the time with my NHL Center Ice package.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    LOUSY TV NUMBERS FOR RAPTORS

The Toronto Raptors opened their season Wednesday night with a win, some glitz and terribly troubling television ratings.

Playing opposite the Maple Leafs and the last night of the World Series, the Raptors had an audience of only 54,000 on TSN2. That has to be alarming to new MLSE boss Tim Leiweke, who has talked about making the Raptors Canada's team.

By any comparison, even considering the difficult circumstances, and the fact they weren't on a mainstream network, the Raptors TV numbers border on embarrassing.

The Maple Leafs season opener drew an average audience of 2.3 million on CBC.

The Blue Jays season opener in April did a 1.4 million number on Rogers Sportsnet and at times throughout the night had more than two milion people watching.

The sometimes forgotten Argonauts played their season opener against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. The TSN numbers for that game: 673,000.

The Raptors opening night did less than one-twelfth of the Argo audience. It will be interesting to monitor the television numbers as the season progresses -- not opposite Leaf games or other sports of consequence. Finding out exactly where the Raptors stand across Canada may be shocking to those who operate the NBA club.

RATINGS GAME

Here's a look at the ratings of Toronto sports teams on opening night this season, with networks and number of viewers.

Leafs CBC 2.3 million
    Jays Sportsnet 1.4 mil
    Argos TSN 673,000
    Raptors TSN2 54,000
    *television numbers come from network PR departments

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/02...ries-this-week