Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    CFL News ‏@CFL_News
    As for the Raptors, more people watched PGA and Nascar in Canada last week than the #2 team in the NBA East. - @rodpedersen
    This kills me. People just assume that the Raptors have this huge following, re their media coverage, but in fact the Raptors go on a 10 game winning streak and their already relatively low TV numbers go down during this winning streak

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballstothewall View Post
    CFL News ‏@CFL_News
    As for the Raptors, more people watched PGA and Nascar in Canada last week than the #2 team in the NBA East. - @rodpedersen
    This kills me. People just assume that the Raptors have this huge following, re their media coverage, but in fact the Raptors go on a 10 game winning streak and their already relatively low TV numbers go down during this winning streak
    I would actually love to hear an explanation from Bell and Rogers for Basketball and non Blue Jays Baseball receiving ridiculous amounts of coverage and talk - when based on tv and radio ratings they're nowhere near as popular as the CFL, NHL, NFL and Curling.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    I would actually love to hear an explanation from Bell and Rogers for Basketball and non Blue Jays Baseball receiving ridiculous amounts of coverage and talk - when based on tv and radio ratings they're nowhere near as popular as the CFL, NHL, NFL and Curling.
    I'm guessing they get more incoming $$$ from the sponsors. That's the only thing I can think of. Perhaps the sponsors feel the ratings still cover the demographic they are chasing. We all know money talks, and if a sponsor spends more on NBA that CFL, then regardless of the ratings, they have to cater to them.

Is it possible that we put more stock into the ratings than the sponsors do?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I'm guessing they get more incoming $$$ from the sponsors. That's the only thing I can think of. Perhaps the sponsors feel the ratings still cover the demographic they are chasing. We all know money talks, and if a sponsor spends more on NBA that CFL, then regardless of the ratings, they have to cater to them.

Is it possible that we put more stock into the ratings than the sponsors do?
    Only thing I can think of is the Raps and NBA numbers skew young - around 50% of their tv audience is in the 18-34 crowd and the only other League that gets around the same is the NFL, but IMO the problem with this is the Raptors have been hovering around 200-250k viewers for years it's never really gone up or down much; NBA ratings are much worse at under 85k. So IMO the question has to be asked - why bother with all the coverage and hype when the growth isn't there ?

I should also mention no other league grew in terms of ratings like the CFL did with the new ratings system - it took the Blue Jays and NFL 4 years to catch up. The CFL is also the number 2 league in terms of merchandise units and revenue sold, still number 2 in radio ratings (Argos were even beating the Blue and NFL in 2014 - never saw 2015).

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    A lot of it has to do with who tunes in. I doubt a lot of the Curling or Figure Skating fans are regular listeners to sports radio. Their own audience surveys whould show that, so why talk about it.