Thread: TV ratings

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    A couple of things I will agree with you on, AT, is that I wish that the league could have negotiated something with TSN to have CTV at least simulcast the Grey Cup. I will also agree with you that the Grey Cup has far more competition up against it than the Super Bowl. There was a time in the 1980s when the NHL wouldn't go up against the Grey Cup. I am almost certain that there were no NHL games in 1983 up against the Argo Grey Cup victory and I am also fairly sure that wasn't the only year where the NHL scheduled no games to go against the Grey Cup. Today the NHL has no problem scheduling Canadian NHL teams up against the Grey Cup. CTV and other Canadian networks will aggressively counter-program against the Grey Cup. When Super Bowl time comes though, everyone else runs and hides.
    Yep, the Grey Cup is usually up against Canadian NHL games along with NFL games/pre-game/post-game shows...and MLSE breaking-news about Bon Jovi moving the Bills to Toronto - News at 11! (plus NBA, golf, tennis, Nascar, etc., which are dormant versus the Super Bowl which also has no CFL competition.) I'd expect a full-out NHL assault on Grey Cup Sunday by Rogers and their dozens of specialty channels.

I'd support a TSN/CTV simulcast of the Grey Cup but what's in it for Bell? They might increase GC ratings by 10% but they'd likely draw more viewers showing "Mary Poppins" on CTV up against TSN's Grey Cup.

If the GC was moved exclusively to CTV, what would TSN1, 2, 3, 4, 5 be showing on Sunday...the NFL? I frankly don't like those prospects. TSN does a great job at promoting the CFL (and an even better job at promoting the NFL). I wouldn't rock the boat with regards to freezing TSN out of CFL coverage.

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This Grey Cup year is not that bad actually in terms of competitive programming: On November 30, the NHL only has Vancouver-Detroit at 2 pm EST; the NFL has a Pats at GB at 4:25 then the Sunday nighter is KC at Denver. So, not so bad, and certainly not as bad as the year a Sens game was scheduled opposite the GC (Melnyk is such an ass, just like the rest of these "Canadian business and civic leaders.")

I can't remember which year it was, but I once got my hands on the TV stats for the year, and Grey Cup Sunday was the most watched day of the year (except for a federal election-- maybe is was 2011). In other words the Grey Cup faced the most competitive day of the year, in some ways. Super Bowl Sunday was further down the list because no one programmed anything too good against it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    Yep, the Grey Cup is usually up against Canadian NHL games along with NFL games/pre-game/post-game shows...and MLSE breaking-news about Bon Jovi moving the Bills to Toronto - News at 11! (plus NBA, golf, tennis, Nascar, etc., which are dormant versus the Super Bowl which also has no CFL competition.) I'd expect a full-out NHL assault on Grey Cup Sunday by Rogers and their dozens of specialty channels.

I'd support a TSN/CTV simulcast of the Grey Cup but what's in it for Bell? They might increase GC ratings by 10% but they'd likely draw more viewers showing "Mary Poppins" on CTV up against TSN's Grey Cup.

If the GC was moved exclusively to CTV, what would TSN1, 2, 3, 4, 5 be showing on Sunday...the NFL? I frankly don't like those prospects. TSN does a great job at promoting the CFL (and an even better job at promoting the NFL). I wouldn't rock the boat with regards to freezing TSN out of CFL coverage.

It's not rocking the boat.
    Why should the GC play second fiddle to anyone else in this country, it's a Canadian institution.
    It is not given the respect it deserves by our own broadcasters.
    Nowhere else would this happen in the free world.
    Can anyone site an example?
    Furthermore and call me a grassy knoll type guy, funny how it never comes out, or certainly I may have missed it, from the last two CFL commissioners about the CTV thing?

New Fan
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Even though the number of stations are limited, the CFL could try lobbying CTV to put the Grey Cup on CTV Two. I'm willing to bet that the ratings and commercial dollars from the game would be far higher than any regular programming normally shown on CTV Two at that time. Furthermore, most of the stations are based in Ontario where the population base is higher.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Post Games involving the Argonauts have the Highest Ratings in the CFL

I'm not sure how accurate it is but at the End (at the 3:20 Mark) of the Video in this article the reporter says that the Highest CFL Ratings come from games involving the Argonauts:

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...13-221126.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime1 View Post
    Even though the number of stations are limited, the CFL could try lobbying CTV to put the Grey Cup on CTV Two. I'm willing to bet that the ratings and commercial dollars from the game would be far higher than any regular programming normally shown on CTV Two at that time. Furthermore, most of the stations are based in Ontario where the population base is higher.
    But is CTV2 available OTA? If its not, which I doubt it is, then they won't cannibilize TSN for that. Which made me realize, and this was probably mentioned earlier, if Bell puts the Superbowl on TSN they can't simsub the American network showing the Superbowl. So they have to put the Superbowl on CTV. No such need for the Grey Cup. The Grey Cup makes people subscribe to TSN because you can't get it free OTA. Conspiracy averted.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    But is CTV2 available OTA?
    CTV2 has a few over the air stations. CKVR in Barrie, CFPL in London, CHRO in Ottawa, CIVI in Vancouver, CHWI in Windsor. On cable elsewhere.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The ratings for CFL games weren't quite as good this past week: https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-ga...174152593.html

What has seemingly had a major impact for CTV is the addition of the late NFL game on Sunday (4 pm) which has produced huge ratings for that network. Has that taken some viewers away from any CFL games at the same time?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The ratings for CFL games weren't quite as good this past week: https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-ga...174152593.html

What has seemingly had a major impact for CTV is the addition of the late NFL game on Sunday (4 pm) which has produced huge ratings for that network. Has that taken some viewers away from any CFL games at the same time?
    Baseball could have started the World Series on Saturday, but didn't want to (potentially) go against college football and the NFL over two weekends. That would have been unthinkable years ago.

Maybe this will mean over time that the CFL schedules fewer Sunday regular season games, but I hope not.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Baseball could have started the World Series on Saturday, but didn't want to (potentially) go against college football and the NFL over two weekends. That would have been unthinkable years ago.

Maybe this will mean over time that the CFL schedules fewer Sunday regular season games, but I hope not.
    If you look at the ratings this fall, I think that the highest rated CFL games are still the Sunday ones even up against very strong ratings that the NFL is generating on CTV. I wonder if the hype that the NFL gets on CTV though isn't starting to eat away a little at the CFL ratings overall though. It seems to be getting increasingly difficult for the CFL to get its share of the hype on the Bell media stations and, of course, we already know that the CFL is an afterthought for Rogers. On top of all of that, we have seen, arguably, the least entertaining season of CFL football in at least 7 or 8 years. Add it all up and it is becoming an increasingly competitive environment for our beloved league.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    If you look at the ratings this fall, I think that the highest rated CFL games are still the Sunday ones even up against very strong ratings that the NFL is generating on CTV. I wonder if the hype that the NFL gets on CTV though isn't starting to eat away a little at the CFL ratings overall though. It seems to be getting increasingly difficult for the CFL to get its share of the hype on the Bell media stations and, of course, we already know that the CFL is an afterthought for Rogers. On top of all of that, we have seen, arguably, the least entertaining season of CFL football in at least 7 or 8 years. Add it all up and it is becoming an increasingly competitive environment for our beloved league.
    Thats why the CFL needs to go a double header Friday and double header Saturday. Or perhaps a Friday night game and triple header Saturday. I personally have a tough time keeping up with the CFL on Sunday's because of the NFL because I love both leagues.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

The CFL usually produces great playoff ratings, easily beating out the NFL even when going head to head. But that run could be in jeopardy the way things have been going this season.

Here are the most-watched English-language sports events, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. NHL, Leafs-Wings/Avs-Habs/Jackets-Sens/Bruins-Sabres, Saturday, CBC: 2,200,000

2. NFL, Vikes-Bills/Panthers-Packers/Seahawks-Rams/Bengals-Colts, Sunday, CTV: 893,000

3. NFL. Giants-Cowboys/Chiefs-Chargers, Sunday, CTV: 873,000

4. NHL, Lightning at Canucks, Saturday, CBC: 885,000

5. CFL, Eskimos at Riders, Sunday, TSN: 732,000

6. NHL, Red Wings at Maple Leafs, Friday, Sportsnet Ontario: 723,000

7. CFL, Alouettes at Argos, Saturday, TSN: 591,000 (RDS viewers not measured)

8. CFL, Stamps at Bombers, Saturday, TSN: 565,000

9. NFL, 49ers at Broncos, Sunday, TSN: 492,000 (NBC viewers not measured)

10. NHL, Hockey Night In Canada pre-game, Saturday, CBC: 478,000

11. NHL, Canucks at Oilers, Friday, Sportsnet West/Pacific: 461,000

12. CFL, RedBlacks at Ticats, Friday, TSN: 413.000

13. NHL, Flames at Oilers, Sunday, City: 407,000

14. Auto racing, NASCAR Geico 500, Sunday, TSN: 380,000

15. NHL, Hometown Hockey pre-game, Sunday, City: 156,000

16. Gymnastics, World artistic championships, Saturday, CBC: 126,000

17. MLS, Impact at Toronto FC, Saturday, TSN: 107,000

18. Soccer, Tottenham at Manchester City, Saturday, TSN: 98,000

19. Soccer, EPL late games, Saturday, TSN: 97,000

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...174152593.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    Thats why the CFL needs to go a double header Friday and double header Saturday. Or perhaps a Friday night game and triple header Saturday. I personally have a tough time keeping up with the CFL on Sunday's because of the NFL because I love both leagues.
    The ratings say otherwise:

Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    "I was being interviewed about the wide world of sports media on a radio show last week when I was asked a question I've heard dozens of times: Why does the CFL insist on going head-to-head with the NFL?

My answer, which is basically the same answer I've been giving for years, is that Sunday is a good day to draw people to a stadium and despite the relatively big TV contract the CFL is still a gate-driven league. Secondly, the CFL has nothing to fear from the NFL when it comes to drawing TV viewers.

That certainly was borne out by the ratings from last Sunday. The 4 p.m. CFL game between Saskatchewan and WInnipeg averaged 1.1 million viewers on TSN. The 4 p.m. NFL game between San Francisco and Dallas averaged 683,000 viewers... "

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...193422068.html

Boatman
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    The CFL usually produces great playoff ratings, easily beating out the NFL even when going head to head. But that run could be in jeopardy the way things have been going this season.

Here are the most-watched English-language sports events, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. NHL, Leafs-Wings/Avs-Habs/Jackets-Sens/Bruins-Sabres, Saturday, CBC: 2,200,000

2. NFL, Vikes-Bills/Panthers-Packers/Seahawks-Rams/Bengals-Colts, Sunday, CTV: 893,000

3. NFL. Giants-Cowboys/Chiefs-Chargers, Sunday, CTV: 873,000

4. NHL, Lightning at Canucks, Saturday, CBC: 885,000

5. CFL, Eskimos at Riders, Sunday, TSN: 732,000

6. NHL, Red Wings at Maple Leafs, Friday, Sportsnet Ontario: 723,000

7. CFL, Alouettes at Argos, Saturday, TSN: 591,000 (RDS viewers not measured)

8. CFL, Stamps at Bombers, Saturday, TSN: 565,000

9. NFL, 49ers at Broncos, Sunday, TSN: 492,000 (NBC viewers not measured)

10. NHL, Hockey Night In Canada pre-game, Saturday, CBC: 478,000

11. NHL, Canucks at Oilers, Friday, Sportsnet West/Pacific: 461,000

12. CFL, RedBlacks at Ticats, Friday, TSN: 413.000

13. NHL, Flames at Oilers, Sunday, City: 407,000

14. Auto racing, NASCAR Geico 500, Sunday, TSN: 380,000

15. NHL, Hometown Hockey pre-game, Sunday, City: 156,000

16. Gymnastics, World artistic championships, Saturday, CBC: 126,000

17. MLS, Impact at Toronto FC, Saturday, TSN: 107,000

18. Soccer, Tottenham at Manchester City, Saturday, TSN: 98,000

19. Soccer, EPL late games, Saturday, TSN: 97,000

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...174152593.html
    So is that 893,000 viewers the total viewers for all 4 games, the average for all four games or the average number of viewers per game?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by QBall View Post
    So is that 893,000 viewers the total viewers for all 4 games, the average for all four games or the average number of viewers per game?
    It's the total, but it doesn't really matter. The fact is that more people across Canada were watching the NFL games at 4pm than the Eskimos-Riders game. Still, that CFL number is pretty good.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Achievements:

Level
    A couple of reasons for lower TV viewers. 1 is the lack of exciting games.2 the horrific number of penalties being called.Some games are unwatchable.

Another factor is player turnover. How can you gain new fans when they can’t keep track of who plays for the teams.I think the Argos started the season with one or two defensive starters from the 2012 Grey Cup.That kind of turnover is hard on diehard fans.

This adds up to people tuning out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    A couple of reasons for lower TV viewers. 1 is the lack of exciting games.2 the horrific number of penalties being called.Some games are unwatchable.

Another factor is player turnover. How can you gain new fans when they can’t keep track of who plays for the teams.I think the Argos started the season with one or two defensive starters from the 2012 Grey Cup.That kind of turnover is hard on diehard fans.

This adds up to people tuning out.
    Is player turnover in the CFL any worse than in any other sport or league though? I really don't think so anymore.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Is player turnover in the CFL any worse than in any other sport or league though? I really don't think so anymore.
    Probably not on a year to year basis. I do however think that the CFL still has more in season turnover than other leagues do.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumblitis View Post
    A doubleheader or tripleheader on Saturday would put the league up against the NHL in the last two months of the season. Not a good way to promote ratings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    A doubleheader or tripleheader on Saturday would put the league up against the NHL in the last two months of the season. Not a good way to promote ratings.
    By that logic, no time is a good time for CFL games because the airwaves have hockey on 7 days a week.