Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    There will be more than a few on the bandwagon, 'tom. If the Raptors go on a big playoff run, they will get big ratings. Torontonians and Canadians love a winner, as evidenced by last fall's Blue Jays ratings. There will be no Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs to compete with for viewers. If Raptors end up in the Eastern Conference final against LeBron James, there will be lots of people watching.
    But will that result in a permanent Raptor Ratings increase and a new love of American Basketball in Canada? I doubt it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    But will that result in a permanent Raptor Ratings increase and a new love of American Basketball in Canada? I doubt it.
    TBD. IMO young males in the GTA are increasingly more interested in basketball than hockey -- will they maintain that as they grow up, get married, get jobs, have kids?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    TBD. IMO young males in the GTA are increasingly more interested in basketball than hockey -- will they maintain that as they grow up, get married, get jobs, have kids?
    I agree with this. You go out to any sports bar during a Raptors game, and it is filled with 20somethings watching. Not sure how watching in Bars relates to TV ratings, but I have a feeling if it was counted the same way as home viewers, the ratings for the Raptors would be much higher than what is reported.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree with this. You go out to any sports bar during a Raptors game, and it is filled with 20somethings watching. Not sure how watching in Bars relates to TV ratings, but I have a feeling if it was counted the same way as home viewers, the ratings for the Raptors would be much higher than what is reported.
    Was at a bar yesterday for dinner, not full, barely half full and this is from a reputable chain with screens all over the place. They even cut the music to hear the play by play. There is some truth in 416 that younger kids, particular those whose parents did not grow up hockey are watching basketball more than hockey, but in 905 hockey heavily dominates with 2nd and 3rd generation Canadians. Basketball as a favorite sport is very pronounced in some demographic groups but in general, younger people are not following sports the way past generations did and I attribute that to the extremely high ticket prices which are not accessible to many young adults and teens as they were in the past.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Hey - basketball was invented by a Canadian and is a fine sport amongst many.

Young folks these days might follow any sport or entertainment that gets hyped lots.

NBA / Raptors get lots of hype in Canada these days; so does MLB and the Blue Jays with their play-off run; NFL gets the $h*t hyped out of it in Canada; all sorts of soccer from around the world (World Cup, Premier League for example) getting lots of hype these days too. The NHL and hockey is entrenched as Canada's game - even though your typical wannabe does not get that football has as much history and is every bit as much a Canadian game/sport as hockey is.

Then there's the poor old CFL - only in Canada and not much hype at all from the wannabes in the media up here = not too cool or hip for a lot of the younger crowd these days. Still - I saw a lot of a younger crowd attending and having a good time at RedBlacks games this year.

CFL still needs a major marketing push though IMO; but hard to convince a lot of the wannabes who control and hire in the media to give the CFL respect and decent coverage. An uphill battle for the CFL, but maybe they can make some gains. We shall see with the Argos in their new home this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    CFL still needs a major marketing push though IMO; but hard to convince a lot of the wannabes who control and hire in the media to give the CFL respect and decent coverage.
    What media outlets are hiring these days?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    What media outlets are hiring these days?
    Don't know.

Who hired Bob McClown, Steve Simmons, Don Martin and about 50 other fawn all over anything American or already over hyped sport types I could name ? - you know, the typical wannabes who like to look down their noses at the CFL or bad mouth it ? Surely somebody hired them at one point and they've got to run their clueless yaps for years & years now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I believe that watching in bars has been counted in the same way as home viewers with the introduction of the portable people meters over the past decade or so. That makes the low Raptors ratings even more perplexing.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I believe that watching in bars has been counted in the same way as home viewers with the introduction of the portable people meters over the past decade or so. That makes the low Raptors ratings even more perplexing.
    It really does, because anytime I've gone out on a Friday night and the Raptors are playing, the bar is full of people glued to the TV's going nuts with every Raptors basket.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 862
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    It really does, because anytime I've gone out on a Friday night and the Raptors are playing, the bar is full of people glued to the TV's going nuts with every Raptors basket.
    Call me crazy, but I have really become a London Lightning/NBL Canada fan.....lots of good Canadian players playing pro basketball that are not in the NBA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Call me crazy, but I have really become a London Lightning/NBL Canada fan.....lots of good Canadian players playing pro basketball that are not in the NBA.
    You're crazy man!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerkeeper View Post
    Let's not get too cocky. We have yet to see what the CFL's ratings will be in this age of getting rid of cable. Seeing that the CFL is only on TSN, I wouldn't be surprised to see a huge drop in ratings this season. That young, flat brim wearing generation that some adore on here - how many Argonauts games are they going to watch when all us old guys are gone? The CFL could be in real trouble in a few years.

On another note, I am disappointed with your constant attack on Basketball. Are your threatened by the sport? Most of the points you have made are completely false, via bias, and I don't understand why you share them in a CFL forum.
    Last edited by ArgoZ; 03-24-2016 at 07:27 PM.