Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I just wanted to express my unhappiness again that Bell is simulcasting the NFL opener on TSN and CTV2 but that the Grey Cup can't even get that treatment. Not everyone has cable and the numbers that do have been dropping. It would be nice to have some kind of over-the-air coverage of the CFL again.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I just wanted to express my unhappiness again that Bell is simulcasting the NFL opener on TSN and CTV2 but that the Grey Cup can't even get that treatment. Not everyone has cable and the numbers that do have been dropping. It would be nice to have some kind of over-the-air coverage of the CFL again.
    All CFL playoff games and the Grey Cup should be broadcast on both CTV and TSN!

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Gotta give the people what they want.

The CFL wanted to give exclusive rights to TSN - well they've got it. Gonna have to wait until the TV contract expires and then they can shop around... but they better not hold their breath thinking they're going to get the same money or better next time.

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    All CFL playoff games and the Grey Cup should be broadcast on both CTV and TSN!
    The whole point is making people subscribe to TSN .. thats why its ONLY on TSN. CFL is TSN #1 money maker.

TSN can't similcast, only CTV can. That why NFL is on CTV.

next CFL TV deal with TSN will be higher ... TSN just paid ottawa senators $30m/yr for 60 games that barely draw 100k

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Based on the pregame and post game Grey Cup approx. 2 million of us watched it. A good indication of the number of households that would pay for a TSN RDS subscription because of the CFL. @ $15.00 month = 360million. Add the advertising. CBC said it is $20,000 for a national 15 second time slot. NFL says 100 of these spots per game. for the CFL say $12,000 and there are 85 of them $1million per game X 80 games = 80million. playoffs $15000 X 85 X 4 games = 5.1 million. Grey Cup 10 million? Super bowl CTV said revenue = 20 million

my math adds up to more than the $44 million the league pays the teams or $517K per game. There is enough money to go around and the teams can get an increase. Let TSN have the field ads and the TV rights, all the radio rights plus rights for ESPN, streaming and world wide coverage. Let some of the TV ads show on the jumbo screens at the games - $10 million per team - 90M - if it wasn't Canadian we would have it already

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipyard View Post
    The whole point is making people subscribe to TSN .. thats why its ONLY on TSN. CFL is TSN #1 money maker.

TSN can't similcast, only CTV can. That why NFL is on CTV.
    Thank you. I've been spouting this point for years but no one seems to get it. It sucks, but its the way it is. The second that ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX picks up the Grey Cup or ANY CFL game is the moment you will see those games on CTV. Until then, they will remain on TSN for the purpose of driving up or supporting TSN subscriptions.

You can bet that Bell would love to put all their NFL games on TSN as well, including the Superbowl, because that would mean more TSN subscriptions. But since the majority of Canada has access to the major US networks that show NFL games, they have to simulcast them on CTV to get the ad revenue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Thank you. I've been spouting this point for years but no one seems to get it. It sucks, but its the way it is. The second that ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX picks up the Grey Cup or ANY CFL game is the moment you will see those games on CTV. Until then, they will remain on TSN for the purpose of driving up or supporting TSN subscriptions.

You can bet that Bell would love to put all their NFL games on TSN as well, including the Superbowl, because that would mean more TSN subscriptions. But since the majority of Canada has access to the major US networks that show NFL games, they have to simulcast them on CTV to get the ad revenue.

You are not the only one.
    I have been saying this for years to include each and every time the the CFL commish of the day signed the TV deals with the "devil" which not only did it not get proper market value but omitted the CTV clause.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    You are not the only one.
    I have been saying this for years to include each and every time the the CFL commish of the day signed the TV deals with the "devil" which not only did it not get proper market value but omitted the CTV clause.
    What CTV clause would that be? To ensure that certain games would be on CTV? That would be nice, but I'm pretty certain Bell would have countered with less money to have that clause included. Now, you may be correct to say in the long run the CFL would have been wise to take less for more exposure, and I would agree with you. But behind the commish are 9 (or 7 at certain points) owners who probably are just wanting immediate cash, and as much as they could get. But on the market value, you'd have to educate me, did CBC offer more? That would invalidate my point of the owners just wanting more instant cash. Sorry I'm not intimately familiar with the specifics of the offers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    What CTV clause would that be? To ensure that certain games would be on CTV? That would be nice, but I'm pretty certain Bell would have countered with less money to have that clause included. Now, you may be correct to say in the long run the CFL would have been wise to take less for more exposure, and I would agree with you. But behind the commish are 9 (or 7 at certain points) owners who probably are just wanting immediate cash, and as much as they could get. But on the market value, you'd have to educate me, did CBC offer more? That would invalidate my point of the owners just wanting more instant cash. Sorry I'm not intimately familiar with the specifics of the offers.
    It's a known fact, confirmed by the CBC and Global during one of the TV deals renewed by the league how there was no negotiations with any other party other than TSN.
    Also how both of these entities said after the fact they would have likely offered more money.
    So there is the bottom line, the various commissioners of the day did not properly negotiate with other suiters to secure more money for the league.
    Ultimately sure the league may have stayed with TSN, but in doing so they likely left mega dollars on the table, also not to mention the CTV broadcasting at least during the GC and playoffs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I have read that CBC said it would have liked an opportunity to bid. I don't remember reading that Global also said that. I really, really doubt that either network ever said it would have bid more than Bell did. Is there a source for this?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I have read that CBC said it would have liked an opportunity to bid. I don't remember reading that Global also said that. I really, really doubt that either network ever said it would have bid more than Bell did. Is there a source for this?
    There is no source, and the idea that mega-millions were left on the table is just wishful thinking. I don't see anyone outbidding TSN while delivering the same exposure (all games televised) any time soon.

CBC no longer has no mega-millions for pro sports. That's why they've been reduced to being distributors for Rogers in the current NHL deal. What sports does Global have other than golf? And there's no locally produced content for that. It's all U.S. feeds.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Global wants to get into sports. Global is owned by shaw. Week after shaw delivered big $ to become a sponsor of the grey cup game, TSN extended with CFL.

Not saying they want full package, but a weekly game same time on saturday late afternoons would be their target.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Source?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    There is no source, and the idea that mega-millions were left on the table is just wishful thinking. I don't see anyone outbidding TSN while delivering the same exposure (all games televised) any time soon.

CBC no longer has no mega-millions for pro sports. That's why they've been reduced to being distributors for Rogers in the current NHL deal. What sports does Global have other than golf? And there's no locally produced content for that. It's all U.S. feeds.
    CBC did spend a lot to get the Olympic rights back though.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    CBC did spend a lot to get the Olympic rights back though.
    But it's not a solo venture. Rights are being shared with Bell and Rogers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    But it's not a solo venture. Rights are being shared with Bell and Rogers.
    Yes but Rogers and Bell are junior partners. CBC is in charge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    After the CFL went exclusively with TSN it was reported that CBC/Global wanted to submit a combined bid for a higher amount than TSN paid, but weren't allowed to bid. The CFL wanted their games on TSN (which was the undisputed leader in cable sports) and was willing to take less money (about $12M at the time) without opening up the bidding process.

To maximize the value of CFL TV rights, the league could sell a package of Saturday and Sunday evening games to an alternate network. The playoffs and Grey Cup could also be sold separately to a higher bidder. The risk with removing TSN's exclusivity is the CFL could slide even further down TSN's pecking order, below the NFL, NHL, BJ's (and MLS?)

It does seem like a double standard that Bell's NFL games will be broadcast on TSN/CTV1/CTV2 (like the Super Bowl last year which despite the wide coverage saw a 39% drop in ratings) while CFL games are restricted to cable only.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    After the CFL went exclusively with TSN it was reported that CBC/Global wanted to submit a combined bid for a higher amount than TSN paid, but weren't allowed to bid. The CFL wanted their games on TSN (which was the undisputed leader in cable sports) and was willing to take less money (about $12M at the time) without opening up the bidding process.

To maximize the value of CFL TV rights, the league could sell a package of Saturday and Sunday evening games to an alternate network. The playoffs and Grey Cup could also be sold separately to a higher bidder. The risk with removing TSN's exclusivity is the CFL could slide even further down TSN's pecking order, below the NFL, NHL, BJ's (and MLS?)

It does seem like a double standard that Bell's NFL games will be broadcast on TSN/CTV1/CTV2 (like the Super Bowl last year which despite the wide coverage saw a 39% drop in ratings) while CFL games are restricted to cable only.
    And until you provide a source for this, this means nothing.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post

Bells NFL games are broadcast on CTV because they can sim-sync with US broadcast, TSN can't do this. They put out of market games on TSN.

CFL games and Grey Cup are ONLY on TSN because it drives TSN subscriptions and ad revenue. CFL is TSNs #1 money maker.

CBC has no shot at CFL rights. They were recently in the mix for the MLS rights but thats because they are basically free.

Global is the only other major bidder. Most of the Shaw executives are big CFL fans and they are one of the league's largest sponsor

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Level
    Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra

Last night's @Wpg_BlueBombers vs. @MTLAlouettes double overtime thriller averaged 714,000 viewers nationally on @TSN_Sports & @RDSca. #CFL