Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I think most of the people who believe that mean once the NFL is playing regular season games.
    I get that, but when the CFL thrived (late 70's early 80's), they used to play strictly on Saturdays and Sundays after Labour day. The reason there aren't a lot of Sunday games in the fall isn't because of bad ratings IMO, but more because CTV/TSN has the NFL rights in Canada and wants to maximise all of their football coverage. If they really feared bad ratings on Sundays, they wouldn't play playoffs on Sunday afternoons. The only thing they should avoid IMO, is going head to head with HNIC on Saturday nights.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I get that, but when the CFL thrived (late 70's early 80's), they used to play strictly on Saturdays and Sundays after Labour day. The reason there aren't a lot of Sunday games in the fall isn't because of bad ratings IMO, but more because CTV/TSN has the NFL rights in Canada and wants to maximise all of their football coverage. If they really feared bad ratings on Sundays, they wouldn't play playoffs on Sunday afternoons. The only thing they should avoid IMO, is going head to head with HNIC on Saturday nights.
    it makes sense to have the cfl games scheduled around the nfl game times as much as possible and not have them compete for viewers. I am glad the rest of the argos home games this year are all Saturday games.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think that Sunday night games are great for TV but not so great if you're attending the game in the Stadium.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    I think that Sunday night games are great for TV but not so great if you're attending the game in the Stadium.
    I don't disagree. But I really think the league would draw high viewership on Sunday afternoons as well. The issue IMO, as I previously mentioned, being Bell's TV rights deal with the NFL. They want the best of both worlds in terms of ratings.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I don't disagree. But I really think the league would draw high viewership on Sunday afternoons as well. The issue IMO, as I previously mentioned, being Bell's TV rights deal with the NFL. They want the best of both worlds in terms of ratings.
    I believe that you are correct, AV. Remember when Bell/TSN first took over exclusive coverage to CFL games back in 2008? The first move they made was to switch playoff games to Saturdays (save for the Grey Cup). Ratings subsequently fell and playoff games were promptly moved back to Sundays the next year.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    this is what Chris Zelkovich said about Sunday games last year

Last weekend’s CFL division finals each topped the million mark but were seven per cent lower than last year’s finals. But the West final this year was basically over in the second quarter, which no doubt sent a lot of viewers scrambling for something more interesting to watch. In light of the previous week’s 14 per cent increase, though, the CFL and TSN will take that into Sunday’s Grey Cup game.

Besides, it can console itself with the realization that Sunday’s games drew almost double the audience that watched comparable NFL offerings. So much for the alleged wisdom that the CFL should never go head-to-head against its American counterpart.

Despite taking a thumping from the CFL and despite a double-digit drop in ratings south of the border, the NFL is doing fine in Canada. Bell Media reports that overall NFL ratings are up six per cent this season (similar to the CFL’s regular-season jump), with a 26 per cent increase among those aged 18 to 34.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    this is what Chris Zelkovich said about Sunday games last year

Last weekend’s CFL division finals each topped the million mark but were seven per cent lower than last year’s finals. But the West final this year was basically over in the second quarter, which no doubt sent a lot of viewers scrambling for something more interesting to watch. In light of the previous week’s 14 per cent increase, though, the CFL and TSN will take that into Sunday’s Grey Cup game.

Besides, it can console itself with the realization that Sunday’s games drew almost double the audience that watched comparable NFL offerings. So much for the alleged wisdom that the CFL should never go head-to-head against its American counterpart.

Despite taking a thumping from the CFL and despite a double-digit drop in ratings south of the border, the NFL is doing fine in Canada. Bell Media reports that overall NFL ratings are up six per cent this season (similar to the CFL’s regular-season jump), with a 26 per cent increase among those aged 18 to 34.
    Exactly my point. Bell is basically just protecting their NFL investment by not having Sunday afternoons on the schedule. It's probably even more so now that Rogers has all the national NHL rights. They need good numbers from both the CFL and NFL, and in their minds that can't happen if they are on at the same time.