Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
A couple of things I will agree with you on, AT, is that I wish that the league could have negotiated something with TSN to have CTV at least simulcast the Grey Cup. I will also agree with you that the Grey Cup has far more competition up against it than the Super Bowl. There was a time in the 1980s when the NHL wouldn't go up against the Grey Cup. I am almost certain that there were no NHL games in 1983 up against the Argo Grey Cup victory and I am also fairly sure that wasn't the only year where the NHL scheduled no games to go against the Grey Cup. Today the NHL has no problem scheduling Canadian NHL teams up against the Grey Cup. CTV and other Canadian networks will aggressively counter-program against the Grey Cup. When Super Bowl time comes though, everyone else runs and hides.
Yep, the Grey Cup is usually up against Canadian NHL games along with NFL games/pre-game/post-game shows...and MLSE breaking-news about Bon Jovi moving the Bills to Toronto - News at 11! (plus NBA, golf, tennis, Nascar, etc., which are dormant versus the Super Bowl which also has no CFL competition.) I'd expect a full-out NHL assault on Grey Cup Sunday by Rogers and their dozens of specialty channels.

I'd support a TSN/CTV simulcast of the Grey Cup but what's in it for Bell? They might increase GC ratings by 10% but they'd likely draw more viewers showing "Mary Poppins" on CTV up against TSN's Grey Cup.

If the GC was moved exclusively to CTV, what would TSN1, 2, 3, 4, 5 be showing on Sunday...the NFL? I frankly don't like those prospects. TSN does a great job at promoting the CFL (and an even better job at promoting the NFL). I wouldn't rock the boat with regards to freezing TSN out of CFL coverage.