Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: TV ratings

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ratings are up. And the author focuses on the NFL/CFL question in a fair and balanced way.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...9.html#more-id

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
    Ratings are up. And the author focuses on the NFL/CFL question in a fair and balanced way.

Here are the most-watched English-language sports events from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. NHL, Hawks-Leafs/Sens-Bruins/Jets-Rangers/Caps-Lightning/Sabres-Pens, Saturday, CBC/Rogers: 2,100,000
    2. NHL, Canucks at Oilers, Saturday, CBC: 1,100,000
    3. NFL, Broncos-Pats/Raiders-Seahawks, Sunday, CTV: 1,054,000
    4. NHL, Leafs at Blue Jackets, Friday, Sportsnet Ontario: 737,000
    5. NHL, Hockey Night In Canada pre-game, Saturday, CBC: 638,000
    6. NHL, Flames at Canadiens, Sunday, City: 595,000
    7. CFL, Blue Bombers at Stampeders, Saturday, TSN: 584,000
    8. CFL, Lions at Eskimos, Saturday, TSN: 553,000
    9. NFL, Cards-Cowboys/Skins-Vikes/Chargers-Dolphins, Sunday, CTV: 532,000
    10. NFL, Ravens at Steelers, Sunday, TSN: 531,000 (NBC audience not measured)
    11. Figure skating, Skate Canada ice dance, Saturday, CTV: 497,000
    12. CFL, Ticats at RedBlacks, Friday, TSN: 495,000
    13. Auto racing, NASCAR Texas 500, Sunday, TSN: 476,000
    14. CFL, Argos at Alouettes, Sunday, TSN: 463,000 (RDS audience not measured)
    15. Curling, Masters men's final, Sunday, Sportsnet: 308,000
    16. Curling, Masters women's quarters, Saturday, Sportsnet: 307,000
    17. Curling, Masters women's final, Sunday, Sportsnet: 264,000
    17. Soccer, Manchester United at Manchester City, Sunday, TSN: 264,000
    19. NHL, Hometown Hockey pre-game show, Sunday, City: 224,000
    20. Figure skating, Skate Canada pairs free, Saturday, CTV: 192,000
    21. Figure skating, Skate America, Saturday, CBC: 166,000
    22. Curling, Masters round robin, Friday, Sportsnet: 158,000
    23. Figure skating, Skate Canada ladies free, Saturday, TSN: 152,000
    24. NBA, Raptors at Magic, Saturday, Sportsnet 360: 149,000
    24. Curling, Masters men's quarters, Saturday, Sportsnet: 149,000
    26. NHL, Kings at Red Wings, Friday, Sportsnet East & Pacific: 147,000
    27. Auto racing, F1 U.S. Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 138,000 (NBC viewers not measured)
    28. Curling, Masters morning round robin, Friday, Sportsnet: 135,000
    29. NBA, Raptors at Heat, Sunday, TSN2: 133,000
    30. Soccer, Queen's Park at Chelsea, Saturday, Sportsnet: 129,000

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post

That is a fine column, as is usually the case from Chris Zelkovich. It is odd that the highest-rated CFL game this past weekend was the only meaningless game of the season.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I realize this is a tad off topic, but last night while driving home from work I tuned into PTS. Glen Grunwald, the Athletic Director of Mac was the guest. He tried to plug this Saturdays football matchup between Mac & Ottawa in a big way. BobCats response? Crickets.

I thought Rogers was all for promoting CIS Football? No?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The CFL needs to speed up the scoring, turnover and team challenge process and bring more flow back into the game. Fans are accustomed to seeing non-stop action in CFL games...now we get commercials timeouts on every change of possession, just like the NFL...and an extended halftime this season so TSN can squeeze in a few more commercials (surprisingly, TSN is limited to 8 minutes of commercials per hour according to their broadcast liscense, except for CFL games of course. )

We should also remember the ratings are the average number of viewers over the length of the program. Some fans now are turning the channel with many games not being that exciting this year, with too many penalties and ragged play...and games dragging on with repeated challenges and timeouts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    It's hard to argue the numbers this year, however the answer appears to be the vastly boring and non typical CFL football on top of the way too many flags thrown.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I realize this is a tad off topic, but last night while driving home from work I tuned into PTS. Glen Grunwald, the Athletic Director of Mac was the guest. He tried to plug this Saturdays football matchup between Mac & Ottawa in a big way. BobCats response? Crickets.

I thought Rogers was all for promoting CIS Football? No?
    Yea..... Not so much ..... They are only showing the nationwide bowl games. I'm not sure they are even televising the Yates Cup. But it's rogers .....were you expecting much?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    It's hard to argue the numbers this year, however the answer appears to be the vastly boring and non typical CFL football on top of the way too many flags thrown.
    Quality has been down this year especially compared to the last few years, but it seems to have picked up a bit in the latter part of the season. Could be that expansion has been a part of it, but you're right the flags have a lot to do with it too, and its not just undisciplined football.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    During the last few games, I noticed TSN promoting the Craptors upcoming games on top of the NFL Sunday games as well.
    I do not watch the No Funners, so I can't comment but would say unlikely the CFL games are promoted?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    During the last few games, I noticed TSN promoting the Craptors upcoming games on top of the NFL Sunday games as well.
    I do not watch the No Funners, so I can't comment but would say unlikely the CFL games are promoted?
    I guess you only see what you want to see.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I have to admit that I really miss the Sunday games. Yes, I know that there are some but there should really be two Sunday games each week as there used to be years ago. The regular season should be ending on a Sunday too. I remember at least three Sundays when I was a kid when the Argos would walk into Ivor Wynne needing a win to make the playoffs (they failed each time). Also, there was a memorable final Sunday to the '83 season when Hamilton and Montreal played to a tie before over 40k at the Big Owe as they battled for the final playoff spot in the East. After that game was over, we watched Calgary get upset by Saskatchewan in a thrilling game which knocked the Stamps out of the playoff race and allowed the dynasty Eskimos one last playoff gasp. In '86, the Argos clinched first place on the final Sunday of the season in Montreal. The two games that were played on Saturday really should have been played on Sunday IMO. I suspect that the TV ratings would be higher for the Sunday games as they have tended to be over the years. Unfortunately, the league seems to be going away from the Sunday games somewhat. The fall schedule IMO should feature a Friday night game, a Saturday game and two Sunday games.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I have to admit that I really miss the Sunday games. Yes, I know that there are some but there should really be two Sunday games each week as there used to be years ago. The regular season should be ending on a Sunday too. I remember at least three Sundays when I was a kid when the Argos would walk into Ivor Wynne needing a win to make the playoffs (they failed each time). Also, there was a memorable final Sunday to the '83 season when Hamilton and Montreal played to a tie before over 40k at the Big Owe as they battled for the final playoff spot in the East. After that game was over, we watched Calgary get upset by Saskatchewan in a thrilling game which knocked the Stamps out of the playoff race and allowed the dynasty Eskimos one last playoff gasp. In '86, the Argos clinched first place on the final Sunday of the season in Montreal. The two games that were played on Saturday really should have been played on Sunday IMO. I suspect that the TV ratings would be higher for the Sunday games as they have tended to be over the years. Unfortunately, the league seems to be going away from the Sunday games somewhat. The fall schedule IMO should feature a Friday night game, a Saturday game and two Sunday games.

I am with you AR, the traditional one game for Friday night, one on Saturday and two for each Sunday until the end of the season.
    We can move the Sunday game of course for the traditional Labour Day and Thanksgiving.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The latest TV ratings from Chris Zelkovich who also wraps up the CFL regular season: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...6.html#more-id

One of the readers who comments below this column does not appear to be a CFL fan as he accuses Zelkovich as having a pro-CFL bias. He sounds a bit like Arash Madani when he calls Chris Cuthbert a "league shill". The CFL numbers were quite strong this past weekend and, while down a little, were still solid throughout the regular season.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 11-11-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    With the CFL coming out on top of the NFL ratings last week, perhaps Arash will tweet that the NFL shouldn't schedule games on Sundays because the CFL is more popular?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    The latest TV ratings from Chris Zelkovich who also wraps up the CFL regular season: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...6.html#more-id

One of the readers who comments below this column does not appear to be a CFL fan as he accuses Zelkovich as having a pro-CFL bias. He sounds a bit like Arash Madani when he calls Chris Cuthbert a "league shill". The CFL numbers were quite strong this past weekend and, while down a little, were still solid throughout the regular season.
    According to TSN, CFL games averaged 660,000 viewers this season. While lower than last year and lower than expected back in the spring, the CFL is still the most-watched summer sport in Canada. By comparison, Toronto Blue Jays games averaged 580,000 as the team flirted with making its first playoff appearance in 20 years.

The drop in attendance shouldn't create any panic, either at league headquarters or in the TSN executive suites. Whatever caused all those low-scoring games should be fixed by next season and despite the yawn-inducing nature of too many games this year, ratings are still strong compared with the competition.

Saturday's season-ending game between Edmonton and Saskatchewan just missed the one-million mark and was topped only by hockey. In fact, that game did better than the Hockey Night In Canada late broadcast featuring the Vancouver Canucks -- no easy feat.

Nobody likes to see ratings drop, but whoever takes over the CFL's top job will go to work knowing he (or she) has a strong TV product.

Here are the most-watched English-language sports events from the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. NHL, Rangers-Leafs/Wild-Habs/Jets-Sens/Pens-Sabres, Saturday, CBC/Rogers: 2,260,000

2. NHL, Leafs at Senators, Sunday, City: 1,140,000

3. CFL, Eskimos at Roughriders, Saturday, TSN: 967,000

4, NFL, Giants at Seahawks, Sunday, CTV: 931,000

5. NFL, Chiefs-Bills/Steelers-Jets/49ers-Saints, Sunday, CTV: 829,000

6. CFL, Alouettes at Ticats, Saturday, TSN: 727,000 (RDS audience not measured)

7. NHL, Canucks at Kings, Saturday, CBC: 723,000

8. NHL, Hockey Night In Canada pre-game, Saturday, CBC: 655,000

9. CFL, Stampeders at Lions, Friday, TSN: 495,000

10. Auto racing, NASCAR Quicken 500, Sunday, TSN: 420,000

11. CFL, RedBlacks at Argos, Friday, TSN: 389,000

12. NFL, Bears at Packers, Sunday, TSN: 357,000 (NBC audience not measured)

13. NBA, Wizards at Raptors, Friday, Sportsnet One: 251,000

14. NBA, Sixers at Raptors, Sunday, Sportsnet East, Ontario, Pacific: 241,000

15. Hockey, Four Nations Cup final, Saturday, TSN: 238,000

16. Figure skating, Cup of China, Saturday, CBC: 233,000

17. NHL, Oilers at Rangers, Sunday, Sportsnet West: 207,000

18. NHL, Hometown Hockey pre-game, Sunday, City: 188,000

19. NFL, Raiders at Broncos, Sunday, TSN: 172,000

19. Auto racing, F1 Brazil Grand Prix, Sunday, TSN: 172,000

21. NHL, Oilers at Sabres, Friday, Sportsnet West: 171,000

22. NHL, Capitals at Blackhawks, Friday, Sportsnet East, Pacific, Ontario: 169,000

23. Soccer, EPL various games, Saturday, TSN: 155,000

24. NHL, Flames at Panthers, Saturday, Sportsnet West: 119,000

25. Soccer, Arsenal at Swansea, Sunday, TSN: 109,000

Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    With the CFL coming out on top of the NFL ratings last week, perhaps Arash will tweet that the NFL shouldn't schedule games on Sundays because the CFL is more popular?
    Nah Arash will just go back into hiding like when Chris Cuthbert called him out last week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    While playoff ratings declined from a year ago - and how could it not with the B.C./Montreal game (although RDS ratings were probably pretty good) - the CFL easily won the weekend save for the Saturday night hockey. Clearly, football fans choose the CFL playoffs over the NFL on Sunday: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...2.html#more-id

BTW, it was Montreal/Hamilton who played in the East semi-final last year and not Toronto and Hamilton.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    While playoff ratings declined from a year ago - and how could it not with the B.C./Montreal game (although RDS ratings were probably pretty good) - the CFL easily won the weekend save for the Saturday night hockey. Clearly, football fans choose the CFL playoffs over the NFL on Sunday: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...2.html#more-id

BTW, it was Montreal/Hamilton who played in the East semi-final last year and not Toronto and Hamilton.

Still very good numbers both doing over 1M and coming in just behind the NHL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I guess you only see what you want to see.
    It's the same as when you buy a new car. All of a sudden you see all the other same models on the road because you subconsciously are looking for them.

TSN's promotions are for next few days of upcoming programming. Obviously mid week teams, like the Raptors are going to be shown on Sunday broadcasts. Likewise, Friday night CFL games, I always see promoted on say Wednesday Raptor games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Here are the most-watched English-language sports events for the past weekend, according to Numeris overnight ratings:

1. NHL, Leafs-Sabres/Flyers-Habs/Jets-Preds/Rangers-Pens, Saturday, CBC/Rogers: 2,200,000

2. CFL, Roughriders at Eskimos, Sunday, TSN: 1,267,000

3. CFL, Lions at Alouettes, Sunday, TSN: 874,000 (RDS' French broadcast averaged an Additional 420,000 viewers)

4. NHL, Senators at Flames, Saturday, CBC: 635,000

5. NHL, Canadiens at Red Wings, Sunday, City: 572,000

6. NHL, Hockey Night In Canada pre-game, Saturday, CBC: 540,000

7. NFL, 49ers-Giants/Seahawks-Chiefs/Vikes-Bears/Bengals-Saints, Sunday, CTV: 507,000

8. NFL, Patriots at Colts, Sunday, TSN: 439,000 (NBC viewers not measured)

9. Auto racing, NASCAR Sprint Cup, Sunday, TSN2: 389,000

10. NFL, Eagles-Packers/Lions-Cardinals, Sunday, CTV2: 358,000

11. NHL, Coyotes at Canucks, Friday, Sportsnet Pacific: 353,000

12. NHL, Hometown Hockey pre-game, Sunday, City: 245,000

13. Speed skating, World Cup short-track, Saturday, CBC: 198,000

14. Figure skating, ISU Rostelecom Cup, Saturday, CBC: 189,000

15. NBA, Jazz at Raptors, Saturday, Sportsnet One: 186,000

16. NHL, Coyotes at Oilers, Sunday, Sportsnet West: 182,000

17. Figure skating, ISU Rostelecom Cup, Sunday, CBC: 180,000

18. Speed skating, World Cup short track, Sunday, CBC: 145,000

19. Soccer, England vs. Slovenia, Saturday, Sportsnet: 131,000

20. Soccer, Italy vs. Croatia, Saturday, Sportsnet: 129,000

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    The division final ratings were down a bit from last year but still solid. A competitive Edmonton/Calgary game might have drawn 2 million viewers but, not surprisingly, it was not as interesting of a game as we might have liked with an unhealthy Mike Reilly at QB for the Esks: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh...3.html#more-id