Hybrid View

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tau Ceti View Post
    I was actually reminded of an article I read a few months back: http://business.financialpost.com/20...only-one-team/. I've also read the exhibition game in Montreal is doing quite well.
    Bit of a fluff piece IMO.

Q: The NBA has seen some significant growth in Canada. Can you break down how you measure that?
    A: Broadcast numbers is one way people do it. Overall, broadcast numbers are up about 19% over last year. - 19% of SFA is still SFA!
    merchandise sales (adidas Canada NBA apparel sales are up 103% over last year), - Again 103% of SFA is still SFA!
    We saw some data recently that showed basketball participation between 2010 and 2012 jumped 16%, which is a faster growth rate than both soccer and hockey. - Basketball has always been popular at the highschool, college and university level in Canada that still doesn't transfer automatic popularity to the NBA.

But then again this is just my opinion and like the old saying, everyone has one. To quote a recently unemployed head coach - "WHAT SAY YOU?"

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
    Bit of a fluff piece IMO.

Q: The NBA has seen some significant growth in Canada. Can you break down how you measure that?
    A: Broadcast numbers is one way people do it. Overall, broadcast numbers are up about 19% over last year. - 19% of SFA is still SFA!
    merchandise sales (adidas Canada NBA apparel sales are up 103% over last year), - Again 103% of SFA is still SFA!
    We saw some data recently that showed basketball participation between 2010 and 2012 jumped 16%, which is a faster growth rate than both soccer and hockey. - Basketball has always been popular at the highschool, college and university level in Canada that still doesn't transfer automatic popularity to the NBA.

But then again this is just my opinion and like the old saying, everyone has one. To quote a recently unemployed head coach - "WHAT SAY YOU?"
    No need to shout Vanriderfan! I can hear you all the way over here just fine!

Admittedly that piece reads a little like sponsored content but that doesn't mean the numbers are wrong. A kinder way of saying "SFA" is that they're starting from a relatively low base and, at least in some respects, appear to be improving. There's obviously a tremendous amount of grassroots interest in basketball and I think it's cool we're producing draft picks now. I don't know if we'd have seen that if the NBA had never come to town. (And I'm not even particularly a fan.)

Incidentally, Forbes values that Raptors at $405 MIL. That's a long way from a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ
    What is with the hate on for other Toronto teams by some members? It's ok to like TFC, Raptors, whoever, and like Argos too. Sheesh.
    I don't get it either. There seems to be an attitude that pissing on other teams will make the Argos look good in comparison. I think it makes the board seem petty and cantankerous.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    Level
    Jim Lang was on the Sportscage today (Regina radio) and he stated that the Raptors demographic was the 40 and younger crowd while the Argo demographic was the 50 and over crowd. He also said the Raptors are pretty much ignored outside of the GTA while the Argos are ignored inside the GTA.
    Would you guys agree or disagree with his analysis?
    Link:
    http://www.620ckrm.com/media/com_pod..._4_podcast.mp3
    go to the 1:10.00 mark for the interview

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
    Jim Lang was on the Sportscage today (Regina radio) and he stated that the Raptors demographic was the 40 and younger crowd while the Argo demographic was the 50 and over crowd. He also said the Raptors are pretty much ignored outside of the GTA while the Argos are ignored inside the GTA.
    Would you guys agree or disagree with his analysis?
    Link:
    http://www.620ckrm.com/media/com_pod..._4_podcast.mp3
    go to the 1:10.00 mark for the interview
    I would say that is probably accurate. I'm sure it's been discussed here before that for whatever reasons the Argos seem to have difficulty attracting younger fans. Also these TV numbers that people keep posting here are national numbers correct? I would really like to see a break down of those numbers by region. How many people in Toronto are actually watching the games on TV? Don't get me wrong the TV numbers are impressive but that is just one aspect of the existence of this team. I know there has been many comments about CFL haters in Toronto but if you ask me those people are the minority. The majority are indifferent and couldn't care less if the team exists or not. That to me is worse than the hater because at least the haters are paying some attention.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Well almost all of the Argonauts fans that I know are well under 50, myself included.
    Ok, but what is the average age of people that attend Argos games? I would not hesitate to guess that the average age is mid to late 40's.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Ok, but what is the average age of people that attend Argos games? I would not hesitate to guess that the average age is mid to late 40's.
    You could be right, I've never paid much attention to that. I do notice that there always seems to be lots of kids at the games though. I'll try to pay more attenton at the Eastern Final.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Maybe it depend on the area one is sitting, but I see a lot of young couples. There is actually a lot of women at Argo games and women are suppose to hate football. lol Do news people really sit out with the fans or walk around the stadium before making their great assumptions?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    TV ratings for the Argos locally and give them a, 1.6 share in the GTA, that put the Argos only behind the national news for most watched TV show in the GTA
    As much as the Argos are my favourite sports team ANYWHERE..I find it hard to believe they get a bigger share than the Leafs in the GTA. In fact, I will go on record and say they would be lucky to get half of what the Leafs get. But 3rd to Leafs and national news is nothing to sneeze at.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    As much as the Argos are my favourite sports team ANYWHERE..I find it hard to believe they get a bigger share than the Leafs in the GTA. In fact, I will go on record and say they would be lucky to get half of what the Leafs get. But 3rd to Leafs and national news is nothing to sneeze at.
    I think that flutie02 is referring to a Saturday night in September before the NHL's regular season began. It might have been the Saskatchewan game but it was one of those three Saturday night September road games that they played and won (Saskatchewan, Calgary, Edmonton).
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    The leafs were not playing that night and I never said the Argos get higher ratings then the Leafs. Mike Hogen was refering to that peticular game. He was also refering to the Share of TV ratings that the Argos get in the GTA. That share is high and they are very good numbers. It flys in the face of what Lang was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Well jeez, why didn't you just say so? Hey, if your desperate for fans, can you host my family for this weekends game against Utah? I only need 4 tix.
    From todays Sun.
    There was a surprising number of unsold seats in the lower bowl at the ACC last night considering the calibre of team making a visit

Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    Man this guy Lang is at two faced as they come. I remember him a few years ago as a play by play man on 640. He was talking big time Argo and CFL and how the NFL is not close in comparison. Then he eventually turns up at Sportsnet and you would never know this is the same guy.
    Your so right, i recall talking to him at the FOA corn roast and he was all about the CFL. He talked how some members of the T.O media have it out for the CFL/Argos (and that must have been 15 years ago) and how their bias is just so wrong. Now he speaks the party line of who signed his cheque. His partner on the Radio (Brady) goes on all the time, that he does not believe the Argos/CFL numbers and how there is no way the Argos beat the Raptors in ratings. Lang never speaks up. of course Brady was saying this before the 54,000 number was printed for the Raptors season opener, so who knows what he is saying now as i stoped listening to them months ago.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    The leafs were not playing that night and I never said the Argos get higher ratings then the Leafs. Mike Hogen was refering to that peticular game. He was also refering to the Share of TV ratings that the Argos get in the GTA. That share is high and they are very good numbers. It flys in the face of what Lang was saying.
    Thanks for the clarity. I thought it was just an overall summary of recent weekly ratings, and not for a specific day.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    Well almost all of the Argonauts fans that I know are well under 50, myself included.
    Man this guy Lang is at two faced as they come. I remember him a few years ago as a play by play man on 640. He was talking big time Argo and CFL and how the NFL is not close in comparison. Then he eventually turns up at Sportsnet and you would never know this is the same guy.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Lang is no longer employed by the FAN 590. Not surprisingly, some CFL related tweets appeared on his feed after this occurred.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argofan87 View Post
    Lang is no longer employed by the FAN 590. Not surprisingly, some CFL related tweets appeared on his feed after this occurred.
    And the Fan590 just went though another round of major layoffs. My wife who still had contacts from when she worked there said it became a very dark place to work.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think I remember her mentioning that to me once. Seems to be when Nelson Millman left to be replaced by Collins or whatever his name is.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I interpreted Leiweke's statement to mean that a specific group of fans known as Red Army had dropped from 800 to 200. I inferred that Red Army is just one of many fan "tribes" the team has and caters to. Red Patch Boys being another, and I assumed there were several of these groups (as well as "unaffiliated" season-ticket holders), but only Red Army had shown such a drop. T-Bone, is that correct?
    It was discussed in the TFC thread and it appears Leiweke made a mistake and referred to the Red Patch Boys supporters club (They're not called tribes.) as the Red Army. Apparently it was their paid membership that dropped from 800 to 200 over the past seven years. I'm sure not all 800 of those RPB members had TFC season tickets to begin with and not all 600 that dropped their RPB membership dropped their TFC season tickets. At last count TFC season ticket holders are upwards of 15,000.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    It was discussed in the TFC thread and it appears Leiweke made a mistake and referred to the Red Patch Boys supporters club (They're not called tribes.) as the Red Army. Apparently it was their paid membership that dropped from 800 to 200 over the past seven years. I'm sure not all 800 of those RPB members had TFC season tickets to begin with and not all 600 that dropped their RPB membership dropped their TFC season tickets. At last count TFC season ticket holders are upwards of 15,000.
    Thanks for that additional info. I didn't mean "tribes" as a pejorative, by the way, but apologize if any offence was taken.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Thanks for that additional info. I didn't mean "tribes" as a pejorative, by the way, but apologize if any offence was taken.
    No problem and no offence taken, just clarifying. There is a TFC supporters group called Tribal Rhythm Nation.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Boom. CFL just released TV Ratings for the past year. Up 18% in Southern Ontario market. And there are those who say "Nobody is watching" lmao!
    18% from what? Do they provide numbers for Southern Ontario?

Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    http://cfl.ca/article/cfl-on-tsn-and...ratings-winner

The CFL’s strong ratings performance features large gains in Southern Ontario, where ratings for games involving the Toronto Argonauts were up 26 per cent from last year, and 50 per cent from 2011, and ratings for games involving the Hamilton Tiger-cats were up 14 per cent from 2012, and 27 per cent from 2011.

One of the most watched games of the year featured the Hamilton Tiger-Cats hosting the Toronto Argonauts on Thanksgiving Monday: the television audience approached one million viewers, making it the most watched regular season game in the two teams’ decades-old rivalry.

Ratings for all CFL games are up 18 per cent from last year in Southern Ontario (what the rating agency calls the Toronto Extended Market, which includes Halton, Peel, Metro Toronto, York, Simcoe South, Durahm, Dufferin, Hamilton, Niagara and Haldimand.)
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.